• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

More of the "who"?

Damori

Capricornus Bifrons
Freyja for me too.
We named our daughter after her !
I've had this idea before, how is it working out for you?
True, but Loki with Thor make a great comical team. Life wouldn't be so interesting if Loki wasn't there, to get Thor in trouble. :p
That's a good question, let's ask Baldur.
:D

For my part, I've always enjoyed learning about Odin more.

Nietzsche

The Last Prussian
Premium Member
Odin. Knowledge above all else, even ones' own body. Thor is great and all, but at his core, he's a brute, if a forgiving one, but a brute none the less. Odin is the epitome of what Humanity should be: Masters of Reason, and Seekers of Knowledge.

Justin Thyme

Child of God
Maybe it's the Christian in me but I find Tyr to be the noblest of the Norse pantheon. I can admire Odin's sacrifice for knowledge and wisdom but the sacrifice was all self-serving. Tyr's sacrifice was for his kin and that seems to me to be what the old Germanic religion was really all about.

Duck

Maybe it's the Christian in me but I find Tyr to be the noblest of the Norse pantheon. I can admire Odin's sacrifice for knowledge and wisdom but the sacrifice was all self-serving. Tyr's sacrifice was for his kin and that seems to me to be what the old Germanic religion was really all about.

How do you figure that Odin's sacrifice was self-serving? His purpose and long-term goal is to prepare for Ragnarok, so that there is a sliver of hope both for humanity and for the Gods. He does this knowing that ultimately his fate is to die, along with most of his kin. Nothing self serving there.

bain-druie

Tree-Hugger!
Tyr and Freyja; not my pantheon, so my favorites are only based on my knowledge of their myths (sparse) and input from my Asatru seed-group-mates. :)

Last edited:

Klaufi_Wodensson

Vinlandic Warrior
Tyr and Freyja; not my pantheon, so my favorites are only based on my knowledge of their myths (sparse) and input from my Asatru seed-group-mates. :)

Well I listen to a few Celtic Metal bands and so from them I know a few Celtic gods, such as Belenos and Morrigan. But I don't know too much about the Celtic gods, although I am very interested in them.

bain-druie

Tree-Hugger!
The Celtic and Norse gods have no issues fellowshipping together, that's for sure. We all toast each other's pantheons with great pleasure when we pass the horn around and drink mead in honor of the gods, then the ancestors, then our loved ones here & now. I think they're all fabulous in their own way (not just saying that in an empty way, I really mean that)!

Justin Thyme

Child of God
How do you figure that Odin's sacrifice was self-serving? His purpose and long-term goal is to prepare for Ragnarok, so that there is a sliver of hope both for humanity and for the Gods. He does this knowing that ultimately his fate is to die, along with most of his kin. Nothing self serving there.

All the stories I've read of Odin just makes me think he is ultimately out for himself. And the preparation for Ragnarok idea has always puzzled me. From my understanding no one's wyrd is cast in stone. The prophesies are only a suggestion of what is to come if nothing is changed. Shouldn't the preparation be to avoid Ragnarok instead of preparing to meet it or have I missed something?

Klaufi_Wodensson

Vinlandic Warrior
The Celtic and Norse gods have no issues fellowshipping together, that's for sure. We all toast each other's pantheons with great pleasure when we pass the horn around and drink mead in honor of the gods, then the ancestors, then our loved ones here & now. I think they're all fabulous in their own way (not just saying that in an empty way, I really mean that)!

Indeed! I completely agree

Justin Thyme

Child of God
Odin hung on Yggdrasil for nine nights in order to get the runes which he taught to us. That doesn't really seem self-serving to me.

I thought it was Heimdall who taught the runes to humanity.

ETA: And I thought he learned them by eavesdropping on Odin and Freyja as he exchanged his knowledge of the Runes for her knowledge of Seid.

Last edited:

Duck

All the stories I've read of Odin just makes me think he is ultimately out for himself. And the preparation for Ragnarok idea has always puzzled me. From my understanding no one's wyrd is cast in stone. The prophesies are only a suggestion of what is to come if nothing is changed. Shouldn't the preparation be to avoid Ragnarok instead of preparing to meet it or have I missed something?

Hmmm, I will have to think about that.

Could it be that the preparations under taken by Odin were intended to avoid the fate shown by the prophesy? I will have to re-read the Eddas to confirm, but wasn't there a prediction that worse would happen if Odin did nothing? Or am I misremembering again?

Klaufi_Wodensson

Vinlandic Warrior
I thought it was Heimdall who taught the runes to humanity.

ETA: And I thought he learned them by eavesdropping on Odin and Freyja as he exchanged his knowledge of the Runes for her knowledge of Seid.

As far as I knew it was Odin. But I perhaps misunderstood that. I know that is why he hung on Yggdrasil though. The part about Heimdall eavesdropping is correct though, as far as I know.

Justin Thyme

Child of God
As far as I knew it was Odin. But I perhaps misunderstood that.

In the Poetic Edda, in Rígsþula: The Lay of Rig, in the 28th verse we have:
Forth from the thicket came Rig a-striding,
Rig a-striding, and taught him runes,
his own name gave him, -- as son he claimed him,
and bade him hold the ancestral fields, --
the ancestral fields -- and the ancient home.
Rig being the who Heimdall identified himself as to the people of Midgard as he wandered through the country side. From my understanding of the stories I've read this is how humanity came to learn the Runes. The children of Rig's son, Earl, were taught the Runes by Rig.

Klaufi_Wodensson

Vinlandic Warrior
In the Poetic Edda, in Rígsþula: The Lay of Rig, in the 28th verse we have:

Rig being the who Heimdall identified himself as to the people of Midgard as he wandered through the country side. From my understanding of the stories I've read this is how humanity came to learn the Runes. The children of Rig's son, Earl, were taught the Runes by Rig.

Ah, you are right. Now I remember reading that. It's been a little bit since I've read out of the Poetic Edda though. I'm about halfway through it I think.