1. Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

More irritating than creationists!

Discussion in 'Consumer Affairs' started by Jayhawker Soule, Jun 28, 2018.

1. YmirGF

YmirGF Bodhisattva

Ratings:
    +14,868
    Religion:
    Beyond the Light
    Me too. :) I love the hassle over which one the Windows key is. LOL. I bet @Jayhawker Soule could have fun with that, as would other Mac users.

2. Subduction Zone

Subduction Zone Veteran Member

Ratings:
    +15,095
    Religion:
    Atheist
    I do believe that @Polymath257 is one that knows how to create a false user system that he can allow scammers to "take over". That is what one needs to be able to do to really keep scammers on the line.

3. Polymath257

Polymath257 Think & Care
    Staff Member Premium Member

Ratings:
    +11,645
    Religion:
    Non-theist
    Yes, it's a matter of setting up a virtual machine. The scammers can do whatever they want and it has no effect on the overall system. I have one already set up with some false bank information and such. I've had some jolly good fun with it. At the end, I just roll back to a snapshot and all is as new.

The best situation was when I got some guy and asked if he was married. He said not, then I asked if there was someone he was interested in. I ended up talking for over 30 minutes about his relationship status and poor life decisions. This was the middle of the call. He never got around to telling me how to get my new Windows key.....

The general tactic for the 'Window's representatives' is to get you to download a remote desktop that will allow them to take over your system. They then proceed to change the syskey password (at least, they do on older systems), which locks you out of your computer until you shell over the money. Since I have a virtual machine, I don't have a problem, but don't do this on a real system!

My record for keeping one on the phone is just less than an hour...

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  4. rosends

rosends Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,197
    Religion:
    Jewish
    of all names, why did he choose Shmuley Boteach?

5. YmirGF

YmirGF Bodhisattva

Ratings:
    +14,868
    Religion:
    Beyond the Light
    Hehe. As @Polymath257 stated, it's as simple as creating a virtual machine and populate it with dribbles of legit-ish looking crap. The invader simply cannot tell that they are not taking over a moron's genuine computer. My personal favorite is when you hear them say, "Your system is infected with Spywares and Malewares." In the trade, I've never known tech's to use such terminology as each is referred to in the singular, much like a herd of deer as you do not have a herd of deers. It's a genuine sign that you are dealing with a newbie rather than a hardcore tech.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Subduction Zone

Subduction Zone Veteran Member

Ratings:
    +15,095
    Religion:
    Atheist
    The people involved are following a script. They have even less tech knowledge than I do. When they take over a computer they are merely following the directions given to them. My favorite lines to use to keep them on the line is to tell them I just turned on the computer and it takes a while for the tubes to warm up. Though since they are from India usually I suppose I should say "valves". I also like to drop the fact that my computer is an ENIAC. They never get that either.

• Funny Funny x 2
  7. YmirGF

YmirGF Bodhisattva

Ratings:
    +14,868
    Religion:
    Beyond the Light
    Though I've not created a virtual machine for them to play with, as I'm just not that bored, it is fun to keep them on the line with weird questions that throw their imperfect understanding of English. Add a yokel sounding southern accent and y'all can have a blast with dem dar tech weenies from the Punjab. :)

• Funny Funny x 2
  8. Revoltingest

Revoltingest Greased up & ready for action!
    Premium Member

Ratings:
    +42,885
    Religion:
    Bokononism
    Looking at the thread's title, I wonder if new members
    who are creationists would decide to look elsewhere.
    "Good riddance" some might say. Bad form, I say.

9. Polymath257

Polymath257 Think & Care

Ratings:
    +11,645
    Religion:
    Non-theist
    My tactic is to pretend I have no real understanding of computers. Which means they have to *tell* me to turn on my router (actually, a virtual router!) and guide me through how to connect. And, for some reason, my computer tends to reboot for no good reason (must be those viruses!) and we have to start over. And, of course, I have trouble downloading their software and seem to always push the wrong buttons. So, it takes a while before they can take it over and find nothing.......

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  10. Polymath257

Polymath257 Think & Care

Ratings:
    +11,645
    Religion:
    Non-theist
    Not to mention I don't turn on that machine so often, so there are always updates to wait for....

• Funny Funny x 1
  11. Nowhere Man

Nowhere Man Bompu Zen Man with a little bit of Bushido.

Ratings:
    +8,794
    Religion:
    Zen Buddhism
    I watched several of them they are hilarious.

One of my favorite is when they syskey the scammers computer. Lol

There's a couple of vids where they even called police officers.

It seems majority of scammers are from India.

• Like Like x 1
  12. YmirGF

YmirGF Bodhisattva

Ratings:
    +14,868
    Religion:
    Beyond the Light
    The ones where they unwittingly target cops or IT pros were a hoot. :)