• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

More About the Name YHWH

garrydons

Shalom! Is it "BLASPHEMY" to call the Creator of Heaven and earth, the God of Israel with a name different from His real name? I am referring to the Tetragamaton YHWH in Paleo Hebrew because it is believed to be the original languange used in calling the God of Israel. I understand there is the ancient Hebrew which is Paleo while there is also modern hebrew being used today. In other words from the original Paleo, the name of God of Israel has already been changed several times and into different languages. Is this not putting His name in vain? Thanks

Zardoz

Wonderful Wizard
Premium Member
There is the principle in Judaism of Kevanah, which translates as 'Intention'. If one calls on what one thinks is The Name, then it's accounted as so. However, in day to day life, we use labels for G-d without meaning to use The Name. Like I just did, I always use G-d in text, my meaning is clear, but also my obvious desire not to use The Name, but a substitute.

"Hallowed be thy name?"

I think it's fine. David called YHWH "Lord" in the Psalms, and the prophets tend to use "Elohim" or "Eloha" as a substitution.