• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Morals were stolen by religions, not created by them

icehorse

......unaffiliated...... anti-dogmatist
Premium Member
I believe stealing ideas would be if claimed to be owned by those who do not own it. The act of promoting something is never a bad thing by default. I don't see religions do that with morals.

All in all, just being human means having the sense of being moral. It is not that religion exclusively stands for morals.

Hey Smart_Guy,

Been a while, how's it going?

So when you hear a religious person ask an atheist (more or less) "How do you know right from wrong?" - what do you think of that question?

Smart_Guy

Premium Member
I think that's a fair point and we have to give credit where credit is due.
But I think the larger issue here that Icehorse is trying to get to is where Morality comes from. His question, essentially, is "Where/When/How did morals arise?"

Yes, I guess I did eventually stray from the main topic because of my first post here. My apologies to Icehorse and you.

I think morals are always there since humans have vivid and active minds and feelings. I think it is how they are triggered and managed, and religion is one way to do that.

Last edited:

Quintessence

Consults with Trees
Staff member
Premium Member

Smart_Guy

Premium Member
Hey Smart_Guy,

Been a while, how's it going?

So when you hear a religious person ask an atheist (more or less) "How do you know right from wrong?" - what do you think of that question?

Hello there Icehorse :)

I'm good, how about yourself?

I honestly don't know what to think of it. I think, depending on the context, it can ether be disrespectful or based on lack of knowledge. Or maybe something else, don't know really. But I personally wouldn't ask it. Right and wrong could heavily depend on how people see it and no one has the right to impose it on others as long as no harm is inflected because of it.

Last edited:

Godobeyer

the word "Islam" means "submission" to God
Premium Member
Here's an equal opportunity challenge for folks from any religion:

Can you name a moral that originated from a religion?

As far as I know, the morals stated in scripture were stolen from the known philosophies of the time. This is an important question, because one of religion's major claims is that mankind would be adrift if not for supernaturally "gifted" morals. If - in fact - religions' morals were not original, then that claim is groundless...
Hi Icehorse
1-I am not sure about If Islam is only religion in the world encourage to free the slave .

2 - encourage to people to smile to each other .

3 encourage to give money to poor people .

4-Ensure (adoption) of an orphan .

icehorse

......unaffiliated...... anti-dogmatist
Premium Member
Hi Icehorse
1-I am not sure about If Islam is only religion in the world encourage to free the slave .

2 - encourage to people to smile to each other .

3 encourage to give money to poor people .

4-Ensure (adoption) of an orphan .

Hi Godo,

For the sake of discussion, let's say that your list is part of Islamic teachings. Of course we have to agree that it's a fine list of some good behaviors. The question is this: Didn't good people already know to do these things before Muhammad was born?

Godobeyer

the word "Islam" means "submission" to God
Premium Member
Hi Godo,

For the sake of discussion, let's say that your list is part of Islamic teachings. Of course we have to agree that it's a fine list of some good behaviors. The question is this: Didn't good people already know to do these things before Muhammad was born?
indeed there was individual action done by non-religious people .

since the community in past ok with issues for exemple "slavery" .could be difficult sometimes to change it to ban !

so who had the right to evaluate an action , to classify it as good or a bad deed ?

as i see ,the religions suppose to encourage humans to be good with each other .

edited + PLus

in Islam ,since Adam most of His messeges order human to be good in moral and HE make roles in instinct.so moral comes with religions

Last edited: