• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Morality?

Darkness

Psychoanalyst/Marxist
Is morality dependent on God? Is morality embedded in the fabric of the Universe? Is morality a cultural construct. Is morality an individual construction?

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member
Is morality dependent on God?

No. The opposite, really.

Is morality embedded in the fabric of the Universe?

No. Morality only exists when there are sentient beings. Such beings are of accidental existence, not a required feature.

Is morality a cultural construct. Is morality an individual construction?

Both, since morality exists in the buffer zone between collective and individual spaces.

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
Morality is like tool use. It has three levels of causation. The first level is universal -- just like there seems to be some universal, genetically based predisposition for humans to use tools, there seems to be some universal, genetically based predisposition towards certain moral principles.

The second level is cultural -- just like the kinds of tools and the ways they are used vary from culture to culture, there seems to be a similar cultural variance in morality. On this level the causes of moral behavior are cultural -- that is, having to do with behaviors passed down in a non-genetic way from one generation to the next.

The third level is individual -- just like one person might have an unique tool he or she invented, or have unique ways of using the tools in their cultural tool kit, so too, individuals can have unique takes on morality. On this level the causes of moral behavior are psychological -- which can be reduced to a combination of environment and genes.

I think all three levels must be taken into account when comprehensively discussing the basis or foundations of morality, just as all three levels must be taken into account when comprehensively discussing the basis or foundations of tool use.

Anyway, that's how I see it, but then I might need more coffee.

Last edited:

darkendless

Guardian of Asgaard
Is morality dependent on God? Is morality embedded in the fabric of the Universe? Is morality a cultural construct. Is morality an individual construction?

God has nothing to do with morality, unless we're trying to ban something thata fraction of people find horrible. Morality is not universal, we each see things differently and have our own conception of whats right and wrong based on things that impact our lives. Culture plays a big part, if it didn't we'd be able to do what we want. Except certain cultures have banned things for one reason or another, others have seen it and followed suit. Morals are based on the individual.

sandandfoam

Veteran Member
Morality is like tool use. It has three levels of causation. The first level is universal -- just like there seems to be some universal, genetically based predisposition for humans to use tools, there seems to be some universal, genetically based predisposition towards certain moral principles.
Hi Sunstone,
I was reading your post just after a bit of revision. I was reading about how Pinker has to go beyond the universality of language in humans in order to sustain an argument that language is an innate quality. To summarise greatly my understanding is that if one doesn't go beyond the universality argument, language can be regarded as a by-product of human information processing.
Regarding morality, I don't think it follows that universality = genetic predisposition, it could just be a by-product of information processing too?

morality is a side effect of sociaty you can see it in every social structure it is needed to provide a bond between its members

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
Hi Sunstone,
I was reading your post just after a bit of revision. I was reading about how Pinker has to go beyond the universality of language in humans in order to sustain an argument that language is an innate quality. To summarise greatly my understanding is that if one doesn't go beyond the universality argument, language can be regarded as a by-product of human information processing.
Regarding morality, I don't think it follows that universality = genetic predisposition, it could just be a by-product of information processing too?

If some behavior is universal, and there is no historical or environmental reason for it to be universal, then so far as I can see that constitutes evidence that it might have a genetic component. It's not conclusive evidence, but it's nevertheless good evidence.

Last edited:

.lava

Veteran Member

IMO,

conscience + intellect = moral

i think i would say 'yes' to your all questions. but only the first 'yes' is absolute.