• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Moral Responsibility to be Intelligent.

Skwim

Veteran Member
“As the chief moral guardian of the community, the church must implore men to be good and well-intentioned. It must extoll the virtues of kind-heartedness and conscientiousness. But somewhere along the way it must remind men that goodness and conscientiousness without intelligence may be the brutal forces that will lead to shameful crucifixions. The church must never tire of reminding men that they have a moral responsibility to be intelligent.” Martin Luther King Jr.
I think the idea that science has no role in morality is not realistic, as we constantly use scientific data to help us make moral choices. So which plays a bigger role in morality: Religion, or science?
First of all, MLK's remark that "the chief moral guardian of the community [is] the church" is not only asinine but incredibility self righteous. Secondly, to suppose that one can manipulate their intelligence is a woefully ignorant remark. So much for MLK. As for science playing some role in morality, just what scientific data are you thinking of that helps us make moral choices?

Reggie Miller

...aaaaand the concept of Christ is a religious one. So, you are in fact saying that religion actually does play a role in morality.

That depends solely on how you look at it. Either Christ rose from the dead or He didn't. Search the facts surrounding the resurrection, you may be surprised at what you find.

Jeremiahcp

Well-Known Jerk
We do? When did this happen? I can't say I've seen much indication of this and an awful lot of the opposite. Even working scientists who have regular access to this type of data don't do this. :sweat:

So you make ethical decisions without making sure you have all your facts straight?

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
So you make ethical decisions without making sure you have all your facts straight?
I thought of the field of medical ethics.
One can even get degreed in the field.
I'll wager that knowing medical science is crucial to making good decisions.

Jeremiahcp

Well-Known Jerk
First of all, MLK's remark that "the chief moral guardian of the community [is] the church" is not only asinine but incredibility self righteous. Secondly, to suppose that one can manipulate their intelligence is a woefully ignorant remark. So much for MLK. As for science playing some role in morality, just what scientific data are you thinking of that helps us make moral choices?

MLK Jr. is actually criticizing the church for what he saw as a moral failure of the church. He often criticized the church for being too focused on the people's spiritual well-being and not focused enough on the social health of the community. MLK Jr. was also a very clever speaker, by calling the church "the chief moral guardian" he is calling on a common sense of duty within the church to motivate them to become more involved in resolving the inequalities between blacks and whites. MLK Jr. did seem to view the church "as the chief moral guardian", but he also saw where they failed in that duty. I may not agree with the notion entirely but I am not about to dismiss him on such a trivial detail.

"Secondly, to suppose that one can manipulate their intelligence is a woefully ignorant remark."

He is talking about self education and critical thinking.

Skwim

Veteran Member
MLK Jr. is actually criticizing the church for what he saw as a moral failure of the church.
That's pretty obvious, but he's also saying "the chief moral guardian of the community [is] the church."

"Secondly, to suppose that one can manipulate their intelligence is a woefully ignorant remark."

He is talking about self education and critical thinking.
So when he's talking about intelligence does he refer to it as "knowing about stuff"? Sorry, but I see no reason to go along with your interpretation of the words he chooses to use.

lewisnotmiller

Grand Hat
Staff member
Premium Member
Sticky OP. I would council hesitancy in holding up science as any sort of morality check. A basic level of humanism or following the Golden Rule or whatever needs to take precedence.
Science changes, and whilst scientific realisations around the similarities of the 'races' would promote equality, you could also use science to promote eugenics (at least, at a point in time you could), forced sterilizations, gene manipulation, etc.

Jeremiahcp

Well-Known Jerk
That's pretty obvious, but he's also saying "the chief moral guardian of the community [is] the church."

So when he's talking about intelligence does he refer to it as "knowing about stuff"? Sorry, but I see no reason to go along with your interpretation of the words he chooses to use.

Reading is hard.

Jeremiahcp

Well-Known Jerk
Sticky OP. I would council hesitancy in holding up science as any sort of morality check. A basic level of humanism or following the Golden Rule or whatever needs to take precedence.
Science changes, and whilst scientific realisations around the similarities of the 'races' would promote equality, you could also use science to promote eugenics (at least, at a point in time you could), forced sterilizations, gene manipulation, etc.

Not as a "check", but it plays a role in keeping us informed. We are the "morality check".

Thief

Rogue Theologian
I think the idea that science has no role in morality is not realistic, as we constantly use scientific data to help us make moral choices. So which plays a bigger role in morality: Religion, or science?
God created the universe
Science is seeking....how

science might not cross the line to theology....but...
believers need not shun science

Quintessence

Consults with Trees
Staff member
Premium Member

Why are you making this personal? I don't appreciate that, and I'm not going to answer your question from that standpoint.

One of the things that the discipline of psychology studies is human decision-making. It is well known that on the whole, human decision-making (ethical or otherwise) is grounded in heuristics. That's basically a fancy way of saying we use intuition and common sense, or quick rules of thumb to make decisions. We have these heuristics because the vast majority of the time, we have to make decisions quickly and either do not have access to or are unable to obtain the so-called "facts." Put another way, basic human decision-making and day-to-day living bears little to no resemblance to scientific methods that are fact-gathering tools. Fact-based decision-making is the exception to the rule with respect to human behavior. As it should be, given the analysis paralysis of demanding factual decision-making would be very problematic for most day-to-day tasks and living.