• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Moral Responsibility to be Intelligent.

Jeremiahcp

Well-Known Jerk
“As the chief moral guardian of the community, the church must implore men to be good and well-intentioned. It must extoll the virtues of kind-heartedness and conscientiousness. But somewhere along the way it must remind men that goodness and conscientiousness without intelligence may be the brutal forces that will lead to shameful crucifixions. The church must never tire of reminding men that they have a moral responsibility to be intelligent.” Martin Luther King Jr.

I think the idea that science has no role in morality is not realistic, as we constantly use scientific data to help us make moral choices. So which plays a bigger role in morality: Religion, or science?

Deathbydefault

Apistevist Asexual Atheist
I think the idea that science has no role in morality is not realistic, as we constantly use scientific data to help us make moral choices. So which plays a bigger role in morality: Religion, or science?

If we are talking about which one has more influence in the morality department, religion wins.
If we are talking about which one is the better adviser on what is moral, science wins.

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.

I'd say neither. Animal and even human testing is horrid at times to aquire data.

Religion tends to create extremism in its own right that leads down destructive paths.

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member
Tell me how you define religion, then I will have the means to answer.

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
If we are talking about which one has more influence in the morality department, religion wins.
If we are talking about which one is the better adviser on what is moral, science wins.

I largely agree with this. I think science has tremendous potential to help decide moral issues. Of course, it cannot be the starting point for deciding such issues. You need an axiom or two for that, or a value to begin with. But once you have those, science can usually tell you a lot about which courses of action will result in your realizing your initial value(s).

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
An example....
A friend is a fundie Xian. He used to believe that all wrongful behavior was a conscious choice.
He believed that homosexuality & transgenderism were immoral choices. But after years of
discussing science, & his own reading, he's come around to seeing that brains don't function
so simply. Science enabled him to overcome incorrect religious training. He doesn't condemn
transsexual people anymore as reprobates.

Whatever values we hold, it's good to ensure they comport with reality. Science is for that.

Last edited:

pearl

I think faith and science enlighten each other. Science questions can we, faith questions, should we.

Kemosloby

Premium Member
I'm not sure religion gives a person morals, it's more like a mirror to see if you have any morals. Science doesn't care about morals, so that's more like staring at a wall.

Jayhawker Soule

-- untitled --
Premium Member
I think the idea that science has no role in morality is not realistic, ...
I think the idea that science has a role in morality is incoherent.

il_340x270.855553074_crqq.jpg

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member

il_340x270.855553074_crqq.jpg
Science has a role in debunking morality when conflicting with reality.
Another example is the immorality of life sentences for crimes committed by juveniles.
We now know enuf about brain development to see this as wrong. They do not
necessarily pose a threat to society when they become adults.

Jeremiahcp

Well-Known Jerk

Isn't advising also influencing? For example science has been used to debunk many erroneous claims about blacks, and this has had a positive influence on how people think about blacks. I think, perhaps, you are just looking for a middle ground.

Last edited:

Altfish

Veteran Member
I'm not sure religion gives a person morals, it's more like a mirror to see if you have any morals. Science doesn't care about morals, so that's more like staring at a wall.
Morals is usually about decision making, do I do A or B or C?
Religion has some guidelines and pastors and priests, etc. give further guidance but it tends to be fairly dogmatic and can often seem unjust (e.g. condoms and aids)
Although science in itself doesn't care about morals, its application can inform and help make those difficult decisions. So it is a lot more useful than 'staring at a wall'.

Jeremiahcp

Well-Known Jerk

Seems straight forward to me. Knowledge illuminates the moral path; the better informed you are, the better able you are to make the right choices.

Had I said something like, "ignorance is the root of evil" people would be bending over backwards agreeing with me, or at least agreeing it plays a role.

Last edited:

Reggie Miller

Neither.

MLK Jr was a Christian. To a Christian religion is nothing but Christ crucified is everything.

Quintessence

Consults with Trees
Staff member
Premium Member
...we constantly use scientific data to help us make moral choices.

We do? When did this happen? I can't say I've seen much indication of this and an awful lot of the opposite. Even working scientists who have regular access to this type of data don't do this. :sweat: