• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Moral Polly Parrot

Where do you stand with regards to morality?

• Morality is mostly self-evident

Votes: 4 30.8%
  • Morality comes from religions alone

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Without my religious morals I might be a criminal

• Religious morals serve the particular religion

Votes: 1 7.7%
  • God made us immoral so s/he takes the blame

• Who needs morals anyway?

• What are morals?

Votes: 1 7.7%
  • Other (explain)

Votes: 8 61.5%

• Total voters

shmogie

Well I think you are wrong, and if you looked at current knowledge concerning animal behaviour then what they do would not be seen as just instinctual. A mention in another thread of injustice being observed in many animal species is one example. How would an animal display this if it didn't have some kind of moral values to compare against? I fear you are just ignoring so much related to animal behaviour because it suits your religious beliefs to do so.

And the article provided by @ChristineM is well worth reading.
No, it comes from a lifetime of observation of animals. Never being without at least one dog. since birth, 70 years, I have 5 now, many cats, aquariums, fresh and salt, since I was 12, I have raised show rabbits, racing pigeons, had a large snake collection, and live in the rural Southwest where I observe a large variety of animals in their natural habitat.

I have never seen any fauna species make a moral decision, not once.

McBell

Resident Sourpuss
That's a somewhat confusing definition, though, as Its trying to imply morality as being both the ethical standards for judging behavior, and the behavior, too. Whereas I think the term "morality" applies only to our behavior, and not to the ethical imperatives that we use to define behavior as being moral or immoral.​
You will have to further explain because I fail to see the problem you suggest here.

Mock Turtle

Oh my, did I say that!
Premium Member
No, it comes from a lifetime of observation of animals. Never being without at least one dog. since birth, 70 years, I have 5 now, many cats, aquariums, fresh and salt, since I was 12, I have raised show rabbits, racing pigeons, had a large snake collection, and live in the rural Southwest where I observe a large variety of animals in their natural habitat.

I have never seen any fauna species make a moral decision, not once.

So you'd rather take that over professionals who have actually spent time studying animal behaviour? I think that is likely preferring anecdotal evidence over true study - not so clever. At what level of consciousness would you place humour? Since many species seem to exhibit this - the orangutan reacting to a magic trick on Youtube is a good example - since some thought is likely to be existing here, so why wouldn't animals also have thoughts about behaviour too?

PureX

Veteran Member
You will have to further explain because I fail to see the problem you suggest here.
What behavior one person sees as moral or immoral depends on the ethical priorities that person is applying to their judgment of that behavior. Morality refers to an assigned ethical assessment of behavior. Not to some innate behavioral state, as many people tend to infer when talking about "morals".

Mock Turtle

Oh my, did I say that!
Premium Member
What behavior one person sees as moral or immoral depends on the ethical priorities that person is applying to their judgment of that behavior. Morality refers to an assigned ethical assessment of behavior. Not to some innate behavioral state, as many people tend to infer when talking about "morals".

Assigned by whom?

shmogie

So you'd rather take that over professionals who have actually spent time studying animal behaviour? I think that is likely preferring anecdotal evidence over true study - not so clever. At what level of consciousness would you place humour? Since many species seem to exhibit this - the orangutan reacting to a magic trick on Youtube is a good example - since some thought is likely to be existing here, so why wouldn't animals also have thoughts about behaviour too?
I certainly will concede that I know little about primates, and will accept that some have reasoning ability. Elephants apparently have this ability to some extent as well.

Nevertheless, I still contend that survival instinct, and perpetuation of the species, are overriding instincts that control behavior.

Mock Turtle

Oh my, did I say that!
Premium Member
I certainly will concede that I know little about primates, and will accept that some have reasoning ability. Elephants apparently have this ability to some extent as well.

Nevertheless, I still contend that survival instinct, and perpetuation of the species, are overriding instincts that control behavior.

Well many animals are known to use tools - stones or twigs, for example - and to be able to solve a range of problems, so I don't know why you would think they couldn't reflect on other things (like their and others' behaviour) when they obviously must be doing something to come up with solutions to these problems - many of which are novel to them.