• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Moral Injury

The Hammer

[REDACTED]
Premium Member
https://moralinjuryproject.syr.edu/about-moral-injury/

So a thread on people's Secrets got me thinking about something we call Moral Injury.

"“moral injury” refers to the lasting emotional, psychological, social, behavioral, and spiritual impacts of actions that violate a service member’s core moral values and behavioral expectations of self or others (Litz et al., 2009). Moral injury almost always pivots with the dimension of time: moral codes evolve alongside identities, and transitions inform perspectives that form new conclusions about old events"

While this talks specifically about moral Injury due to wartime behaviours, Moral Injury can occur outside of military service and combat. For instance in fire fighters, police officers, doctors, veterinarians, and other first responders are all susceptible for various reasons and complications of their jobs.

It's also possible to have moral Injury without being in the aforementioned professions: Say protecting oneself against an intruder using deadly force. Or doing something as a teenager, and coming to regret it later on because of a change in ones life outlook, or the development of new information and morality. People in prison can also come to view their past criminal behaviours as having gone against their morality if they view it as such.

So how do we address moral Injury as a society without judgement, especially if the moral injury of another goes against our ingrained morals ourselves?

Have you committed something that went against your morals, that you've moved past. How did that work for you? How did you do it?

The Hammer

[REDACTED]
Premium Member
Have you committed something that went against your morals, that you've moved past. How did that work for you? How did you do it?

Quoting myself here:

I HAVE done things that go against my hardline morals, and I will admit that I have not moved past them, and not sure how or if I ever can. Instead of moving past it, I turn it into a way to deprecate myself and put myself down. Because there is no positive spin here.

Last edited:

Nakosis

Non-Binary Physicalist
Premium Member
Well I don't intend anyone harm. I make the choices that seemed to me right at the time, for what ever reasons.

I think later, with hind sight maybe we could see were we could have a better choice. But that was then, this is now. If I had this information provided by hind sight, I would have made the better choice.

Also your intentions good or bad at the time were what the were for whatever reason. Now you see maybe you should have had better intentions. But, at that time, that's who you were.

I see little benefit judging the of the past by the you of today's standards.

I think it best not to blame yourself for who you were, but learn from who you were so the future you will make better choices.