• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Monotheistic or duotheistic?

Theweirdtophat

Zoroastrianism believes that two gods exist, a good one and a bad one. Some say they are duotheistic because of this believe, but they don't worship the bad one, they worship the good one, Ahura Mazda. So wouldn't this make them monotheistic since they worship only one god?

It seems to be debatable as I always thought a duotheist worships two deities but Zoroastrians only worship one.

Rival

Si m'ait Dieus
Staff member
Premium Member
It would make them, using this description, henotheists. Though most would probably say there is only one God and Zoroastrianism was the first Monotheism.

VargDrakon

Duotheism is believing in two gods. Worshiping both of them is not a requirement. Ditheism is often used as a more specific sub-category when these gods are in opposition (and only one is worshiped) as in Zoroastrianism. In contrast, bitheism is sometimes used for when these gods are not in opposition (and both can be worshiped) as in some forms of Wicca. Although both of these are also used as synonyms of duotheism.

Jeremy Taylor

Zoroastrianism does not believe in two Gods. Ahura Mazda and Ahriman are not equal, and the latter shouldn't really be considered a God. It is open to question whether Manichaeism and certain Gnostic sects were radically dualist, but Zoroastrianism is not. It is monotheistic or panentheistic.

Servant_of_the_One1

Zoroastrianism believes that two gods exist, a good one and a bad one. Some say they are duotheistic because of this believe, but they don't worship the bad one, they worship the good one, Ahura Mazda. So wouldn't this make them monotheistic since they worship only one god?

It seems to be debatable as I always thought a duotheist worships two deities but Zoroastrians only worship one.

The followers of the "evil god" could claim that he is good and in fact his rival is evil.

paarsurrey

Veteran Member
Zoroaster was the founder of religion known to be after his name. He was truthful recipient of Revelation from Ahura Mazda, those ascribing their religion to Zoroaster are to quote from him or should not ascribe themselves to his name. Right?
I am not asking anything wrong.
Regards

Jumi

The followers of the "evil god" could claim that he is good and in fact his rival is evil.
It would be matter of perspective and what was promoted. From human point of view, honesty, truth, working society, healthy environment etc are good things. Lies, roaming gangs of bandits, destruction of environment in name of conquest would be evil. If the second one was good, would we follow it? No, it would not be worthy of us even if it was the strongest or original one.

MD

qualiaphile
Zoroaster was the founder of religion known to be after his name. He was truthful recipient of Revelation from Ahura Mazda, those ascribing their religion to Zoroaster are to quote from him or should not ascribe themselves to his name. Right?
I am not asking anything wrong.
Regards

You're asking the wrong questions and quite frankly are missing the point. Zoroastrianism isn't supposed to be this highly codified religion like Islam, it's more so a philosophy on how to live life. There have been books written, but like I said I follow the Gathas and the Gathas talk about how to live a life based on virtue and righteousness.

paarsurrey

Veteran Member
You're asking the wrong questions and quite frankly are missing the point. Zoroastrianism isn't supposed to be this highly codified religion like Islam, it's more so a philosophy on how to live life. There have been books written, but like I said I follow the Gathas and the Gathas talk about how to live a life based on virtue and righteousness.
One could quote from Gathas, if the same is written by Zoroaster or dictated by him or written by some person authorised by him to write on his behalf. I liked even when one quoted from Yasna.
I like your efforts for revival of your religion, I rather appreciate it.
Regards

MD

qualiaphile
One could quote from Gathas, if the same is written by Zoroaster or dictated by him or written by some person authorised by him to write on his behalf. I liked even when one quoted from Yasna.
I like your efforts for revival of your religion, I rather appreciate it.
Regards

What do you want me to quote? Be more specific.

MD

qualiaphile

No that's not how the religion works, it's not based on blind submission to a book. We believe everyone has the inner potential for good and evil and as such we know internally what is wrong and right, since right and wrong both exist as metaphysical forces in the universe. Zoroaster simply expanded upon this concept in the Gathas.