• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Monotheistic Native Americans

Nashitheki

Hollawitta
"life without differences is boring"

Ahhh, more of a balance, like the spirit world.

Life without balance becomes precarious, especially when walking along steep river banks or high rocky stretches of path.

painted wolf

Grey Muzzle
"life without differences is boring"

Ahhh, more of a balance, like the spirit world.

Life without balance becomes precarious, especially when walking along steep river banks or high rocky stretches of path.
Exactly... :D

We all try to walk in a good way, but we all do so with our own feet. We can describe our walk to others, but they can't walk it for us.
I do however, very much enjoy hearing about others paths... I find that I learn quite a lot about myself that way.

wa:do

I would like to know what Native American Tribes were Monotheistic?
For clarification, I am speaking of the people before the coming of the round eyes to the land. None of them were Monotheistic. All peoples worshipped TWO great things: The Sky (usually called the father) and the Earth (usually called the mother).
The great "mystery" was what is now refered to as Chi, the Holy spirit, or the life force. It was the thing that animated all living things, and filled some places and inanimate objects.
Gods little g were common in almost all cultures. It would be a spiritually poor culture that didn't have at least one culture hero who became a god. White shell woman, the three sisters, the sun, the moon, and especially the morning star were all thought of as powerful entities. Some were worshipped:shout, some feared:sorry1:, and all thanked:namaste for all had a specific purpose and watched over certain aspects of daily life.

Nashitheki

Hollawitta
I'm not going to google search this and then lie about knowing things I just read. I am not familiar with that Grandmother. Which of the people are you of?

I'm Shawano which means southerners or people of the southern wind. Before removal and containment, we were pretty much divided into septs or bands that roamed around a good part of the eastern woodlands, eventually settling in Ohio. By that time we were involved in conflicts between European powers.

Other Algonquian tribes knew Kokumthena or the Grandmother Spirit by different names.

Sadly, the remnants of the few tribes I live near don't even have their complete language left. Only their names, some memories, and many thousands of artifacts. Even the artifacts one finds while walking the plowed fields cannot be theirs 100%. So many different peoples were moving around in the USA 8000 years ago, that no one tribe can lay claim to having an ancestral land anymore. Unless you go with the stories of the woman who fell through the hole in the sky and was saved from crashing into the earth by a duck or beaver who was there to break her fall. The Clovis and other paleo indian points found here were more than likely from a people who no longer exist. Sure some of the recent (400 yrs.ago) woodland stuff can be attributed to one particular people. But just because you find a point on the banks of the Susquehanna doesn't mean it was made by the Susquehanna.
So am I right in saying you are of the Shawnee? We would find your artifacts along the Shenandoah?:help:

Nashitheki

Hollawitta
Through part of the 17th century and into the early 18th century there were bands of us living along the Shenandoah, upper Potomac rivers and West Virgina's Greenbrier River. Some of us once lived in what is now South Carolina along the Savannah River. At one time some of us were invited to live in Tennessee by the Cherokee to serve as buffers twixt both the Catawba and war parties of the Haudenosaunee.

Exactly... :D

We all try to walk in a good way, but we all do so with our own feet. We can describe our walk to others, but they can't walk it for us.
I do however, very much enjoy hearing about others paths... I find that I learn quite a lot about myself that way.

wa:do

I've read through this entire thread and want to thank you for your wise words of reason and implacable devotion to the search for truth. I share your views on these subjects and am with you along your journey. There are some who will resist this reason and balance while thinking they have ownership of it themselves. You fend them off very well.

In peace, may we walk....

Last edited:

Daniel108

I've read through this entire thread and want to thank you for your wise words of reason and implacable devotion to the search for truth. I share your views on these subjects and am with you along your journey. There are some who will resist this reason and balance while thinking they have ownership of it themselves. You fend them off very well.

In peace, may we walk....