• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Monotheistic Double Standard?

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
Inspired by this thread: Atheistic Double Standard?

Speaking in general and in your opinion, do believers hold a double standard when it comes to religion?

Such as for example: demanding higher standards of evidence for other people's religions than their own.

...or monotheists who accept one god but reject all others without evidence.

Kemosloby

Premium Member
Since there is no absolute proof of God, one accepts One God on belief. The same belief allows you to renounce all other gods.

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
It's the same standard. The standard of belief. Belief in One God rules out belief in other Gods.
The meaning I took from your first post was something like "we can't really justify beliefs in any gods, so I'll believe in only one."

It seems nonsensical to me, so I'm worried I'm not getting your intended meaning.

Edit: and I have no idea what you mean by "the standard of belief."

Jeremiahcp

Well-Known Jerk
The meaning I took from your first post was something like "we can't really justify beliefs in any gods, so I'll believe in only one."

It seems nonsensical to me, so I'm worried I'm not getting your intended meaning.

Edit: and I have no idea what you mean by "the standard of belief."

If you believe that only one god exist, then based on that belief how could there be other gods? I believe that is what he is driving at.

jonathan180iq

Since there is no absolute proof of God, one accepts One God on belief. The same belief allows you to renounce all other gods.
By your own argument, your god is just as valid as anyone else's god - using the standard of belief, of course. There is no real method by which to determine validity other than personal preference.

It's the same standard. The standard of belief. Belief in One God rules out belief in other Gods.
Unless you're a polytheist...

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
If you believe that only one god exist, then based on that belief how could there be other gods? I believe that is what he is driving at.
If you put the "only" in there right off the bat, then you're begging the question.

There are plenty of gods that are generally held to be mutually exclusive with other gods. This fact by itself doesn't tell you that the god you believed in first was the correct one; it just tells you that if you accept both, there's a problem. It doesn't say whether it's better to hold onto the god you currently believe in or to reject it in favour of the new god.

jonathan180iq

Speaking in general and in your opinion, do believers hold a double standard when it comes to religion?

Such as for example: demanding higher standards of evidence for other people's religions than their own.

All double standards are bad. By definition, a double standard negates the purpose of a standard...

Kilgore Trout

Misanthropic Humanist

Belief, by it's very nature, overwrites reasoned and critical thought.

Jeremiahcp

Well-Known Jerk
If you put the "only" in there right off the bat, then you're begging the question.

There are plenty of gods that are generally held to be mutually exclusive with other gods. This fact by itself doesn't tell you that the god you believed in first was the correct one; it just tells you that if you accept both, there's a problem. It doesn't say whether it's better to hold onto the god you currently believe in or to reject it in favour of the new god.

"If you put the "only" in there right off the bat, then you're begging the question."

So? It is a belief in God, it is allowed to be based on fallacies.

Jeremiahcp

Well-Known Jerk
Seems more like you've backed yourself into a corner...
How is this not a double-standard?
How can you even start this conversation if you're going to shift the goal posts whenever it's convenient?

I don't always say what I believe and I actively engage in hypocrisy. We call it playing devil's advocate.

Kemosloby

Premium Member

Yeah basically. So in that equation it's belief that discredits the other Gods. Both the same standard.

jonathan180iq

I don't always say what I believe and I actively engage in hypocrisy. We call it playing devil's advocate.
I have no problem with purposefully taking the other side for an exercise in debate. But you've still got to hold that position accountable to the same rules of argument and logic as everything else. Lord knows there are plenty of practitioners on the other side who already make these mistakes for themselves - not need to add more.

Jeremiahcp

Well-Known Jerk
I have no problem with purposefully taking the other side for an exercise in debate. But you've still got to hold that position accountable to the same rules of argument and logic as everything else. Lord knows there are plenty of practitioners on the other side who already make these mistakes for themselves - not need to add more.

"But you've still got to hold that position accountable to the same rules of argument and logic as everything else. "

Well I didn't, which clearly demonstrates I don't have to "hold that position accountable." Let me know if you have any other false claims about what I "got to" do.