• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Monotheism < Polytheism

The Hammer

[REDACTED]
Premium Member
Now, I would like to turn my earlier question on it's head. There are many modern societies that have polytheistic beliefs, from Neo-Pagan traditions to the Holy Trinity in Catholicism.

With that in mind, what makes Polytheism the better/more accurate of these two views? What makes the belief in multiple conceptions of Deity, superior to that of only One deity. What advantages does this bring to the spiritual table? Any disadvantages?

Last edited:

Desert Snake

Veteran Member
Many deities can have one overarching deity.

You're leading the question with a presumption on how many deities, are considered, theistically, or religiously.

The Hammer

[REDACTED]
Premium Member
Many deities can have one overarching deity.

You're leading the question with a presumption on how many deities, are considered, theistically, or religiously.

EIther way, I thought the intent of my question was clear. This was not meant to be a discussion about what deity is above or below another, or even which are right. This is purely from a theistic standpoint, what makes "many gods" superior to "one god", in your opinion.

Desert Snake

Veteran Member
EIther way, I thought the intent of my question was clear. This was not meant to be a discussion about what deity is above or below another, or even which are right. This is purely from a theistic standpoint, what makes "many gods" superior to "one god", in your opinion.
I believe that if one believes there are many, or more than one god, then thry shouldn't just ignore that.

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
With that in mind, what makes Polytheism the better/more accurate of these two views? What makes the belief in multiple conceptions of Deity, superior to that of only One deity. What advantages does this bring to the spiritual table? Any disadvantages?
For one thing, polytheism a lot easier to justify.

To arrive at one's belief honestly, both monotheism and polytheism have to wrestle with justifying why at least one god exists, but polytheism doesn't have the extra burden of monotheism to justify why no more than one god exists.

Trailblazer

Veteran Member

To arrive at one's belief honestly, both monotheism and polytheism have to wrestle with justifying why at least one god exists, but polytheism doesn't have the extra burden of monotheism to justify why no more than one god exists.
It is polytheism that has to justify more than one God. There is absolutely no reason why there would be more than one God, since God is omnipotent and omniscient.

Desert Snake

Veteran Member
If they don't just ignore that, what should they do?
It's a good question, and might vary by indivudual. I don't like to make 'absolute' statements, about that, really.

There are some deities that whether fake, or real, one should just avoid. Not always obvious, however sometimes it's sort of obvious.

The Hammer

[REDACTED]
Premium Member
It is polytheism that has to justify more than one God. There is absolutely no reason why there would be more than one God, since God is omnipotent and omniscient.

Your God may be omnipotent and omniscient, but my Gods are not (nor do they need to be), so that is not a very good counterargument.

Trailblazer

Veteran Member
Your God may be omnipotent and omniscient, but my Gods are not (nor do they need to be), so that is not a very good counterargument.
I do not have my own God, there is just God, the One True God that created the Universe and all that is therein.
Any other gods are imaginary as far as I am concerned, because they do not exist.

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
It is polytheism that has to justify more than one God.
Both have some justification to do, but the claim "some number of gods exist" has less of a burden than "exactly one god exists."

There is absolutely no reason why there would be more than one God, since God is omnipotent and omniscient.
I'm not sure what any of that has to do with how many gods there are.

If you concede - just as the polytheists do - that "gods" is a category of thing that can exist, then to justify monotheism properly, you'd have to justify why more than one thing in that category can't exist.

What you think we "need" is irrelevant. We don't need any Celine Dion albums at all; despite this, there are (quick googling) 26 that exist.

IndigoChild5559

Loving God and my neighbor as myself.
There are many modern societies that have polytheistic beliefs, from Neo-Pagan traditions to the Holy Trinity in Catholicism.
The Trinity in Christianity/Catholicism is not polytheism. It is a muddied monotheism. The first line of the Nicene Creed is "We believe in ONE GOD." In Judaism we have a special term for this sort of monotheism that has been muddied up: sh*tuf (sorry, I have to use the * or it gets censored). IOW when Jews refer to Christianity as sh*tuf, we are saying that it isn't pure monotheism, but it isn't polytheism either.

Trailblazer

Veteran Member
Trailblazer said: It is polytheism that has to justify more than one God.

Both have some justification to do, but the claim "some number of gods exist" has less of a burden than "exactly one god exists."
Why do you think there is less of a burden?
There is absolutely no reason why there would be more than one God, since God is omnipotent and omniscient.

I'm not sure what any of that has to do with how many gods there are.
Can you imagine many gods competing for power and all saying they are the one that knows everything?
If you concede - just as the polytheists do - that "gods" is a category of thing that can exist, then to justify monotheism properly, you'd have to justify why more than one thing in that category can't exist.

What you think we "need" is irrelevant. We don't need any Celine Dion albums at all; despite this, there are (quick googling) 26 that exist.
Simply put, more than one God does not exist because there is only one God. Polytheists can believe anything that want to but beliefs won’t change reality. Since God is a Supreme Being, and the Creator and Ruler of the Universe, the idea of more than one God is absurd on its face.

Trailblazer

Veteran Member
That's non biblical. Both demons and 'other gods', high angels, or 'demi-gods, are in the Bible.
Apparently I do not interpret the Bible the same way you do. I do not believe it is all to be taken literally, much is figurative or symbolic.

I believe there is only one god and I don’t believe that the devil is an actual being. I believe that demons represent our lower material nature, our selfish nature.

FooYang

Why?