• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Monopoly in medicine is bad?

Choose what agrees with you

• 01: Monopoly is good

• 02: Monopoly is NOT good

• 03: Monopoly Big Pharma is good

• 04: Monopoly Big Pharma is NOT good

• 05: Big Pharma will NOT give up monopoly

• 06: I am happy with Big Pharma monopoly

• 07: I am NOT happy with Big Pharma monopoly

Results are only viewable after voting.

stvdv

Veteran Member: I Share (not Debate) my POV
It is a good business model
BUT not Dharmic

What is your opinion?

Below quote was said in the interview in below video. Second video, second speaker at 5m08s-7m00 only

Note: video will be online only 24h max. But for the poll not important. That's just about each one's personal opinion

Monopoly in anything is not good. Humans are greedy, hence it will lead to corruption, power and control.

There used to be a monopoly in telecom and long-distance calls were very expensive. Now, monopoly is gone, and it's much cheaper

Same with Big Pharma. Their monopoly is unhealthy
Episode 7 Live - Brave Series

Last edited:

Debater Slayer

Vipassana
Staff member
Premium Member
I'm not sure what "Big Pharma" is supposed to be made up of: the largest pharmaceutical corporations are in competition with one another, so the idea that they can be grouped under a uniform umbrella as if they were a single entity doesn't make sense to me.

Talking about competing corporations in the medical field as if they were working in unison seems to me akin to talking about Microsoft and Apple as "Big Software" or Toyota and General Motors as "Big Automobile." They're competitors; the fact that they have to compete for profit is, by definition, evidence that there's no monopoly. A monopoly consists of only one entity having exclusive access to the market, which is not the case in the pharmaceutical industry.

SomeRandom

Still learning to be wise
Staff member
Premium Member
I'm not sure what "Big Pharma" is supposed to be made up of: the largest pharmaceutical corporations are in competition with one another, so the idea that they can be grouped under a uniform umbrella as if they were a single entity doesn't make sense to me.

Talking about competing corporations in the medical field as if they were working in unison seems to me akin to talking about Microsoft and Apple as "Big Software" or Toyota and General Motors as "Big Automobile." They're competitors; the fact that they have to compete for profit is, by definition, evidence that there's no monopoly. A monopoly consists of only one entity having exclusive access to the market, which is not the case in the pharmaceutical industry.
“Big Pharma” is more of an American thing. I mean obviously there’s not really a monopoly there either. But they do hold an unnerving amount of power. One that is barely held back by commerce laws of other places.
Though they can affect even places with universal healthcare. Maybe not as much as they do in the US, but they try to chip away what they can in even my country
(And I’m using the term “they” not to imply there is some evil cabal of Big Pharma plotting against us. It was just easier than typing out each and every company name lol.)

PureX

Veteran Member
They work together to hire lobbyists to bribe the legislature (in the U.S.) to allow them to price-gouge, and to deny competition from non-US manufacturers. This is how they are "big pharma" and how they have created a monopoly. They only compete in drug development. Once developed, they ALL grossly overcharge for their drugs. And they work together to try and limit competition from outside manufacturers. They are a monopoly created by their mutual greed, and with the help of our corrupt legislators. And this has become commonplace among large corporations of all kinds. Monopolies are not like the "olden days"; owned by one company mogul. They are conglomerations of companies all seeking the same goal: maximum profit in exchange for minimum output. And they use bribery and the corruption of our lawmakers to achieve their goals.

exchemist

Veteran Member
BUT not Dharmic

What is your opinion?

Below quote was said in the interview in below video. Second video, second speaker at 5m08s-7m00 only

Note: video will be online only 24h max. But for the poll not important. That's just about each one's personal opinion

"Medicine" consists of an awful lot besides pharmaceuticals.

Do you want to discuss medicine or just the pharmaceutical industry?

stvdv

Big Pharma” is more of an American thing. I mean obviously there’s not really a monopoly there either. But they do hold an unnerving amount of power. One that is barely held back by commerce laws of other places.
Though they can affect even places with universal healthcare. Maybe not as much as they do in the US, but they try to chip away what they can in even my country
Exactly...barely held back, more the opposite

IMO:
I see it clearly as a monopoly; power, control and abuse, like a dictatorship (disallow natural health systems and doctors or even "eliminating" them)

It's not about healing people, but more about creating customers and keeping "us" humans as their customers; first goal is dollars, our health comes not first. For this they will do almost anything. Again also on this level demonic (Adharmic) power and control

There are some good doctors, but Big Pharma wants all doctors to dance with them, offering them lots of money (bribing) IF they do as Big Pharma dictates (I met quite a few doctors who told me this). Any illusion I had is gone by now

All of this makes "perfect" sense IF I think how to optimize profit. Big Pharma is the best Business Plan

SomeRandom

Still learning to be wise
Staff member
Premium Member
Exactly...barely held back, more the opposite

IMO:
I see it clearly as a monopoly; power, control and abuse, like a dictatorship (disallow natural health systems and doctors or even "eliminating" them)

Where I live “healthy alternatives” are just down the road lol
Indeed there’s a health shop in a major shopping centre near me, I can go to alternative medicinal places if I so choose. They’re everywhere.
My local GP bulk bills, my meds have always been pretty cheap and any emergency I’ve had is automatically paid for, since it comes from the taxes.
I can choose whatever doc I want, I can choose not to take their advice or take their prescription. All chemists must offer the cheap “home brand” version of any prescription, if I want to go for the cheap alternative.
I mean, there’s issues certainly in my country’s Medicare system, don’t get me wrong. The aforementioned big conglomerates trying to chip away at our bargaining “rights” by trying to charge our government more and more for certain drugs. That’s happening and is certainly a concern.
So I mean, I guess I can agree?

It's not about healing people, but more about creating customers and keeping "us" humans as their customers; first goal is dollars, our health comes not first. For this they will do almost anything. Again also on this level demonic (Adharmic) power and control

Again I’m from a country where that’s against the law, for the most part. My government must buy medicine in bulk and wholesale, but on the cheap. This does somewhat limit the drugs available, like experimental treatments that may be available in the US for example. But that’s a trade off I’m willing to have, if it means not going bankrupt for daring to be sick. Granted we as country must remain vigilant since I know our government would rather pocket the profit. But they know that if they outright get rid of my country’s Medicare, it’s political suicide. So they try to chip away at it instead. Hence remaining vigilant.

There are some good doctors, but Big Pharma wants all doctors to dance with them, offering them lots of money (bribing) IF they do as Big Pharma dictates (I met quite a few doctors who told me this). Any illusion I had is gone by now

You mean like that Dr Oz bloke? Yeah the US “big pharma” does like to do that to once respected doctors. It’s sad to watch
Someone told me he’s running for some kind of government role. Crazy!!

All of this makes "perfect" sense IF I think how to optimize profit. Big Pharma is the best Business Plan
“Big Pharma” runs like all conglomerates. But they’re really more of an issue in the US, truth be told

stvdv

They work together to hire lobbyists to bribe the legislature (in the U.S.) to allow them to price-gouge, and to deny competition from non-US manufacturers. This is how they are "big pharma" and how they have created a monopoly
I could not have explained it any better

they work together to try and limit competition from outside manufacturers.
True

They are a monopoly created by their mutual greed, and with the help of our corrupt legislators
Sadly that's a fact too

And this has become commonplace among large corporations of all kinds. Monopolies are not like the "olden days"; owned by one company mogul
But the impact is bigger, and more dangerous, as most people think they are the good "guys", and fail to see it's just all about monopoly

They are conglomerations of companies all seeking the same goal: maximum profit in exchange for minimum output. And they use bribery and the corruption of our lawmakers to achieve their goals.
Thanks for your clear and true description
Sadly, I can't paint a better picture of them

Last edited:

InChrist

Free4ever
BUT not Dharmic

What is your opinion?

I don’t think monopolies are normally good, especially when corporate entities start controlling public policies. Here is an interesting related article...

“Policies on booster recommendations for different groups are complex and shifting, Offit said, but the CDC, rather than Bourla and Pfizer, should be making them.”

“We’re being pushed along,” he said. “The pharmaceutical companies are acting like public health agencies.”

How Pfizer Won the Pandemic, Reaping Outsize Profit and Influence