• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Monologue for Auditions?

Lindsey-Loo

Steel Magnolia
I'm auditioning for three school plays on Tuesday, but I didn't know I would be able to until Thursday. So I'm looking for a last-minute monologue. All of the ones online seem way overused. I've heard most of them during auditions a thousand times. I don't want my monologue to be the same old boring stuff that everyone uses. Unfortunately, I was just diagnosed yesterday with a mild-ish staff infection. Even though I can go to the auditions on Tuesday, I can't go out to the library today to find a book of monologues.

I was wondering if any of you have written monologues, have favorite monologues to audition with, etc. that you wouldn't mind copying down for me in this thread. It would be greatly appreciated, and all due credit will be given to the writer and source during my audition. I don't know if this will produce any results, because I'm not sure how many people here are active in theatre, but I'm posting this on all of the forums I frequent. My monologue shouldn't be any shorter than 1 minute or any longer than a minute and 20 or so seconds. Thanks in advance if you can help.

MysticSang'ha

Big Squishy Hugger
Premium Member
Which shows are you auditioning for? That should help you decide between Eugene O'Neill and Moliere. ;)

You need to tailor your monologue to be relevent to the show you're auditioning. And, it doesn't really matter how "unique" you believe your monologue is, it's very likely that the director has heard it before, too.

The most important thing to focus on your audition is relevence of monologue, voice projection, and characterization.

Peace,
Mystic

Lindsey-Loo

Steel Magnolia
I'm auditioning for Agathe Christie's The Mousetrap and then the other two things, i'm not sure yet. There's a variety of one-act plays, but the director decides which two to place me in...if that makes any sense. I'm thinking I'll just write my own monologue...that will make everything easier.

MysticSang'ha

Big Squishy Hugger
Premium Member
I'm auditioning for Agathe Christie's The Mousetrap and then the other two things, i'm not sure yet. There's a variety of one-act plays, but the director decides which two to place me in...if that makes any sense. I'm thinking I'll just write my own monologue...that will make everything easier.

OK, in my humble opinion - since I'm coming from mainly a dance background and theatre performance has been my secondary focus - I've found that actors need to have AT LEAST three different monologues at their disposal for auditions: one contemporary dramatic, one contemporary comedic, and one classical. Master them, and have them at ready for your auditions.

I would highly advise you not to write your own monologue unless you have extensive experience in script writing. A monologue needs to exist in context with the parameters of the play, unless it truly is a string of one-acts, and then the part needs to have the strength to truly stand on it's own two feet on stage. I've been on the other side of the audition table watching an actor jump in with their own creations..........with disasterous results.

I brought up Eugene O' Neill. Consider any of his works as excellent stock for monologues. Seriously. :)

Peace,
Mystic

MysticSang'ha

Big Squishy Hugger
Premium Member
Did you find something to audition with? :)

I was having a photo shoot done Tuesday, and I just remembered you were probably facing your own "spotlight" around the same time I was.

Please let us know how things went. :flower:

Peace,
Mystic