• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Monogenism and Incest in the Bible

ZooGirl02

Hey everyone. I wasn't sure where the best place to put this thread would be so I chose to put it in here.

Anyway, according to the Bible, God created Adam and Eve as the first human beings. Many Christians, Catholics included, believe that Adam and Eve were the very first human beings but they also believe that ALL human beings descend from Adam and Eve. If this were truly the case, though, that would necessitate incest in the very first generations of humans, would it not? How could this be so when incest is a sin?

BSM1

What? Me worry?
Hey everyone. I wasn't sure where the best place to put this thread would be so I chose to put it in here.

Anyway, according to the Bible, God created Adam and Eve as the first human beings. Many Christians, Catholics included, believe that Adam and Eve were the very first human beings but they also believe that ALL human beings descend from Adam and Eve. If this were truly the case, though, that would necessitate incest in the very first generations of humans, would it not? How could this be so when incest is a sin?

First of all, nowhere in the Bible does it say Adam and/or Eve were the first uprights. According to the Genesis story God had created Man long before he created the Garden. This blows the whole incest snicker to shreds. I have even seen an account that states Cain wasn't Adam's child. So there.

Scientist are leaning towards the theory that humanity sprung from a common ancestor. My personal feeling is there is a lot of truth in the story of Adam and Eve but told in terms people 4,000 years ago could comprehend.

There is no reason that Christians can't believe in things like the Big Bang and Evolution as long as they were the works of God.

The Big Bang was first proposed by a Catholic a Priest Georges Lemaitre.

Among Catholic contributors to the development of evolutionary theory were, the Jesuit educated French scientist Jean-Baptiste Lamarck (1744-1829) and the Augustinian monk Gregor Mendel (1822-1884). Lamarck developed Lamarckism, the first coherent theory of evolution, proposing in Philosophie Zoologique (1809) and other works his theory of the transmutation of species and drawing a genealogical tree to show the genetic connection of organisms.

Skwim

Veteran Member
First of all, nowhere in the Bible does it say Adam and/or Eve were the first uprights. According to the Genesis story God had created Man long before he created the Garden. This blows the whole incest snicker to shreds. I have even seen an account that states Cain wasn't Adam's child. So there.
Long before you say Hmmmm . . . .

Genesis 2: 7-8 plus 20-22

7 then the Lord God formed the man of dust from the ground and breathed into his nostrils the breath of life, and the man became a living creature. 8 And the Lord God planted a garden in Eden, in the east, and there he put the man whom he had formed.

20 The man gave names to all livestock and to the birds of the heavens and to every beast of the field. But for Adam there was not found a helper fit for him. 21 So the Lord God caused a deep sleep to fall upon the man, and while he slept took one of his ribs and closed up its place with flesh. 22 And the rib that the Lord God had taken from the man he made into a woman and brought her to the man.
I don't see any "long before"

George-ananda

Advaita Vedanta, Theosophy, Spiritualism
Premium Member
I say don't wade to deep into the Old Testament and get tangled up in everything that doesn't square with modern reasoning. I say stick to Jesus and His message if you want a satisfying religious experience.

Skwim

Veteran Member
I say don't wade to deep into the Old Testament and get tangled up in everything that doesn't square with modern reasoning. I say stick to Jesus and His message if you want a satisfying religious experience.
Nothing like good ol'
cartoon-hand-picking-a-cherry_small.jpg

Thana

Lady

Dunno.

Cain went off and got married, I always assumed that meant that Adam and Eve weren't alone. Although other people assume that He went off and married some neice or grand-neice or something. Who knows.

And Adam and Eve ate from the tree, After that they were on their own. So yeah, they and their descendants sinned. Big surprise, so did everyone in the bible. David, Abel, Paul, you name it. Why does it matter?

firedragon

Veteran Member

That is in the bible translations. Also found in the Greek OT. But the Hebrew OT says Adam.

Tumah

Veteran Member

If you're not commanded against something, its not a sin to do it.

BSM1

What? Me worry?
Long before you say Hmmmm . . . .

Genesis 2: 7-8 plus 20-22

7 then the Lord God formed the man of dust from the ground and breathed into his nostrils the breath of life, and the man became a living creature. 8 And the Lord God planted a garden in Eden, in the east, and there he put the man whom he had formed.

20 The man gave names to all livestock and to the birds of the heavens and to every beast of the field. But for Adam there was not found a helper fit for him. 21 So the Lord God caused a deep sleep to fall upon the man, and while he slept took one of his ribs and closed up its place with flesh. 22 And the rib that the Lord God had taken from the man he made into a woman and brought her to the man.
I don't see any "long before"

Genesis 1:26-28

That is in the bible translations. Also found in the Greek OT. But the Hebrew OT says Adam.

Pick your poison.

Zardoz

Wonderful Wizard
Premium Member
First of all, nowhere in the Bible does it say Adam and/or Eve were the first uprights. According to the Genesis story God had created Man long before he created the Garden. This blows the whole incest snicker to shreds...

Basically.

Evolution was the process G-d used to produce imperfect physical creatures for an imperfect physical world. This imperfection was required for separation and therefore autonomy from perfection; the Divine. A kind of double blind experiment. Eventually, a very smart ape descendant that had the brain capacity to elevate to the next level of existence emerged. G-d took this animal format and created one perfect specimen and gave it something it never had before, a human soul. When this new version was banished back into the ordinary world, of course there were others of it's kind around... but they lacked the new soul. But not for long. IMHO.

Skwim

Veteran Member
Nope, I refered to the Old Testament in totality and not just picked-out parts if you choose to go back and notice.
I would have read it that way if you had said

"I say don't wade to deep into the Old Testament and get tangled up in everything."

But you said.

"I say don't wade to deep into the Old Testament and get tangled up in everything that doesn't square with modern reasoning."

Your qualification, "that doesn't square with modern reasoning." implies that there are those things in the OT that DO square with modern reasoning and are acceptable. You would be cherry picking the stuff that squares with modern reasoning.

Ingledsva

HEATHEN ALASKAN

I've always thought this story is actually about the separation of YHVH's people, from people in other religions. In other words a teaching story saying YHVH's people are a special breed direct from him.

We have a linage of YHVH's people -

And we also have the people Cain supposedly mated with.

In Hebrew thought - clean and unclean.

SpeaksForTheTrees

Adam and Eve are an epic of creation ,a story narrative a starting point ,more likely by DNA tracing alone to have happened further East some 3400 km from Israel .
Is a narrative only not factual account of creation .
Is a DNA split recently discovered from the middle east civilizations some 20,000 years ago an exodus of some kind.
So factually it happened but not quite as we believe .
The narrative says which is factually wrong he created one of each , go forth and multiply , technicaly you and your wife are insest few times removed
Maybe god created a race and dirty old men ancient men did it to there children, like the Pharisees who manipulated scriptures by hand , thinking they was in touch saw it as an exceptable way of Yahweh , when reality is the suggestion is off the charts sick raping children , abuse , sacrificing them is not the way of the Christian God Yahweh. .

If you're not commanded against something, its not a sin to do it.
You guys desperately need some guidance , amongst the most disturbing comments I seen on rf .
Took my head of that time mate hahaa
You have kids man hope you do know the difference for thier sakes