• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Monkey see, Monkey do, or personal experience

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
This is an expansion from a thread on the Hindu subreddit.
In your faith, whet is the driving factor of the two. for most folks. Are they adherents because of watching and copying others, like their parents or friends, or are they there for personal experience only? Which of the two do you see as the primary motivator?

Second question ... what about you personally? Are you there to gain personal wisdom, or are you there to belong, and take your teachings from others. Again, what drives you?

This is a large topic, and has many divergent angles.

metis

aged ecumenical anthropologist
In your faith, whet is the driving factor of the two. for most folks. Are they adherents because of watching and copying others, like their parents or friends, or are they there for personal experience only? Which of the two do you see as the primary motivator?
I really can't speak for others, but my guess is that it probably varies from person to person.

Second question ... what about you personally? Are you there to gain personal wisdom, or are you there to belong, and take your teachings from others.
With me, it's to listen, read, and learn, and then take what I learn and also experience, and then try to apply that which seems most moral and beneficial towards others and myself.

Again, what drives you?
A 2019 Ford Escape. :D

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member

From my spiritual/non-religious perspective:

Neither for copying the patterns of the past or the ego-enhancing search for experiences. As the comments from one of Meher Baba's disciples put it:

...the one inevitable question, "What have you gained by being with Baba for so many years?"

I was deeply embarrassed that I could never answer this latter question.

However, one day Baba found me deeply troubled and when He enquired what was on my mind, I told Him about the question I was unable to answer.

Baba then replied, "The reason you cannot answer that question is that it is a bad question. The question should not be 'What have you gained by being with Me?' but rather, 'What have you lost?'"

It was then that I began to understand what Baba had said so often, "Remember, whosoever forms a friendship with Me, loses everything, even the self!"

Second question ... what about you personally? Are you there to gain personal wisdom, or are you there to belong, and take your teachings from others. Again, what drives you?

To lose the limited self which feels like a cloak of heavy chains on my being.

Nakosis

Non-Binary Physicalist
Premium Member
This is an expansion from a thread on the Hindu subreddit.

This is a large topic, and has many divergent angles.

Firstly, I wanted access to the "Truth". Secondly, I wanted useful information to help me deal with life.

Never had any desire to belong to any particular group. Joining was just a way to get access/information.

Vinidra

Jai Mata Di!
I can't speak for other people, but for me, I'm definitely not there because of others. I'm surrounded by Christians! (I live in Alabama.)

I'm here to worship Devi, mostly, and hopefully learn something from the experience. :)

Quintessence

Consults with Trees
Staff member
Premium Member
My tradition is overwhelmingly driven by personal experience. But a lot of that is because I don't have any real alternative. The only thing in this region that would approximate what I try to do with my path is the indigenous Native American religions here, and I am an outsider to those traditions. Out of respect for the indigenous religions of this land, I build my own path build on my own experiences. I have no Native American culture to draw.

However, I do take my teachings from others. Those others just happen to not be humans. I take my teachings directly from the land, sea, and sky, as well as the creatures who call it home.