• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Money saving tips

MysticSang'ha

Big Squishy Hugger
Premium Member
Thought we could use a thread to share tips and suggestion on how to save money and live a simpler, more frugal life. Waste not, want not. Correct?

Peace,
Mystic

MysticSang'ha

Big Squishy Hugger
Premium Member
Here's one link that gives some rather good advice using the 'net as a tool:

http://www.rd.com/content/openContent.do?contentId=29607

And a couple of ideas from the link:

"1. That SUV of yours seemed like a good idea at the time, but now you're paying way too much to fill 'er up.

Solution: First, look for the cheapest gas prices in your area before you head for the pump -- they may vary by as much as 20 percent within a few blocks and can change frequently. Gasbuddy.com collects price information for the U.S. and Canada from 173 websites. Gaspricewatch.com collects prices on 128,000 gas stations from 123,000 volunteer spotters.

Be careful about how you use debit and credit cards to pay for the gas. Sure, gas company credit cards offer rebates on gas, usually from one to five percent. But they often carry high annual percentage rates and limit you to a particular brand of gas. Some even offer teaser rebates of up to ten percent, which may be available for only 30 days. A better choice is a general-purpose credit card, with rebates wherever you buy gas.

Avoid using your debit card. When you buy gas on a debit card, your bank "locks up" as much as $100 for as long as several days or until the station owner processes the transactions. If your bank account is running low, you may bounce a check or two.

An easy way to save on gas? Properly inflated tires. Check them weekly and shave up to 9 cents off a $3 gallon.

2. You stop at the supermarket a few times a week to pick up something for dinner, tossing in pricey items as you go.

Solution: Order groceries and staples online and get them delivered to your door. E-grocery stores became one of the biggest disasters in the dotcom debacle a few years back. But a handful of them are beginning to resurface, with more sure to follow.

Some sites are still regional, but amazon.com announced the nationwide opening of its grocery store this summer, with 14,000 nonperishable items, some hard to find and many discounted. Amazon offers free shipping on orders over $25. To see which e-grocer operates in your neck of the woods, check out safeway.com, peapod.com, freshdirect.com and netgrocer.com."

Peace,
Mystic

Feathers in Hair

World's Tallest Hobbit
Thanks for the thread!

For me, I find that it's easier to save money if I calculate the long-term costs of something, as opposed to looking at the short term costs. For example, I have a habit of getting a bottle of juice every day I'm at school, and at 1.25 a day, four days a week, that's 5 dollars every week. My short-term oriented brain has to work at this in order to realize that this winds up being around 200 dollars, yearly. But once I do the calculating, I finally absorb this fact, and am able to make a better decision in the long run due to it! :)

Scuba Pete

Le plongeur avec attitude...
As someone who eats out ALL THE TIME due to travel, I have found that the best way to save money is break the cycle. Breakfast and coffe at Denny's costs $8.00. I can make it at home for about a buck. Huge difference.