• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Monetizing Math — Info Appreciated

Debater Slayer

Vipassana
Staff member
Premium Member
I have been working on improving my programming skills, but I'm also looking into making more money on the side from tutoring math whether for programming applications (e.g., machine learning) or otherwise. If anyone knows whether there's strong demand for this where you live, please let me know. Tutoring could be convenient for me as an online side gig.

These are the topics I know and my level in each:
  • Calculus I through III (multivariate calculus). University-level.
  • Combinatorics. Intermediate level: I can comfortably teach the basic applications of combinatorics to some probability and programming topics, but I will need to study it further if I am to teach it at a deeper level.
  • Linear algebra. University-level.
  • Probability and statistics. University-level.
  • Set theory. University-level.
  • Trigonometry. University-level.
I should note that by "university-level," I don't mean the level of a bachelor's degree specialized in mathematics. I just mean a skill level where I can comfortably explain university-level math courses for some applications like computer science, engineering, etc.

Also, I can teach said courses fluently in both English and Arabic.

Any info is greatly appreciated! I'm still looking around, but I figured asking here wouldn't hurt either.

icehorse

......unaffiliated...... anti-dogmatist
Premium Member
I did a little looking into tutoring programming with an existing online service and I was very disappointed with their pay scales. I hope it's better for you with math tutoring!

I'm inferring that you're thinking of math tutoring that would support all the AI / machine learning / deep learning stuff that's going on these days? If so, it seems like your math skills would cover the bases pretty well. That said, you can get a subscription to safari books online, and you could skim through a range of AI books to see if there are any math topics you should focus on.

Debater Slayer

Vipassana
Staff member
Premium Member
Register with a dedicated online service as a tutor. I don't know much about them but maybe something here or similar

The 8 Best Online Math Tutoring Services of 2023

I've been looking into such services, yes. I've been reading about the pros and cons of each as well as how to get clients as a complete beginner in that kind of gig.

I'm hoping to directly contact clients at some point instead of having a tutoring service as an intermediary. They seem okay for a start, though.

Debater Slayer

Vipassana
Staff member
Premium Member
I did a little looking into tutoring programming with an existing online service and I was very disappointed with their pay scales. I hope it's better for you with math tutoring!

I'm inferring that you're thinking of math tutoring that would support all the AI / machine learning / deep learning stuff that's going on these days? If so, it seems like your math skills would cover the bases pretty well. That said, you can get a subscription to safari books online, and you could skim through a range of AI books to see if there are any math topics you should focus on.

Where I live, the US dollar is quite strong against the local currency, so rates that may be mediocre or suboptimal for someone in the US or EU could be quite good for me, especially for a part-time gig.

My main target is tutoring math for AI and machine learning (or deep learning), yes. I wouldn't mind tutoring for other applications as well provided I knew exactly what they needed, but the closer it is to my main field, the better.

I'm currently reading this book and finding that I know almost all of the mathematical foundations it covers, so that gives me some reassurance:

Mathematics for Machine Learning

icehorse

......unaffiliated...... anti-dogmatist
Premium Member
I'm currently reading this book and finding that I know almost all of the mathematical foundations it covers, so that gives me some reassurance:

I took a look at the ToC (table of contents), for your book. It looks pretty good, but it's not obvious how the math topics tie into the machine learning topics? Does the book do a good job of explaining why and when each bit of math would be used in an AI system?

And, I'd still recommend coming at this from the other direction and putting a list together of the math that AIs need. If all you have is this book - you can't be sure that it covers all the bases that AI developers need.

Debater Slayer

Vipassana
Staff member
Premium Member
I took a look at the ToC (table of contents), for your book. It looks pretty good, but it's not obvious how the math topics tie into the machine learning topics? Does the book do a good job of explaining why and when each bit of math would be used in an AI system?

And, I'd still recommend coming at this from the other direction and putting a list together of the math that AIs need. If all you have is this book - you can't be sure that it covers all the bases that AI developers need.

I haven't gotten far into the book yet to see specific applications, but yes, I'm also looking at sources written by AI developers. Almost all of the ones I have seen so far list statistics, probability, and linear algebra as fundamental topics in the field.