• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Monarchy vs Republic

Which one do you prefer?

• Monarchy

Votes: 12 30.0%
  • Republic

Votes: 28 70.0%

• Total voters

Estro Felino

Believer in free will
Premium Member
And an example from one or a few countries makes the case for monarchies, rather than for any other proper system that represents the interests of the people as a whole? Surely one can't argue against having the best qualified, and those having the best interests of the whole country in mind whilst being in any leadership position. This is hardly guaranteed under monarchies (almost not in fact historically) and we don't get to vote them out. It's more luck than anything to get a good one - like Queen Elizabeth. And for me, it is about all the associated stuff - Lords and Ladies, etc., and the House of Lords and such. We could do without these too.
In fact we have never had a house of Lords. We had a Senate even during the monarchy.

Mock Turtle

Oh my, did I say that!
Premium Member
In fact we have never had a house of Lords. We had a Senate even during the monarchy.
I think for many that the House of Lords is a main gripe - given that many just seem rather useless, and some purely there by inheritance (only males too apparently) or from a religious angle.

House of Lords - Wikipedia

I can't see our monarchy vanishing though, even if the popularity might wane a bit, given that we have such a long history (like many other countries) and where we still seem quite enthusiastic about titles for various achievements - deserved or not. :D

Kooky

Freedom from Sanity
I genuinely can't get my head around people who want the head of state to be decided by whichever family did the best scheming and murdering hundreds of years ago.
Some people are just thirsty for a cute prince/princess.

Estro Felino

Believer in free will
Premium Member
Awwww:heart::heart::heart:

If I think of who we have at the Quirinal Palace...his father...omg...
And I dare not imagine who will be the next.

Britain ...I am so jealous of you and your monarchy.:)

Martin

Spam, wonderful spam (bloody vikings!)
Awwww:heart::heart::heart:

If I think of who we have at the Quirinal Palace...his father...omg...
And I dare not imagine who will be the next.

Britain ...I am so jealous of you and your monarchy.:)

You can have them. A bunch of post-feudal, entitled whingers. :p

Estro Felino

Believer in free will
Premium Member
You can have them. A bunch of post-feudal, entitled whingers. :p

Well...but Lady Diana was really liked.:)
I guess if her son becomes king, the monarchy is safe.
Btw I do understand.
You never chose to have a monarchy. We could choose.

Martin

Well...but Lady Diana was really liked.:)
I guess if her son becomes king, the monarchy is safe.
Btw I do understand.
You never chose to have a monarchy. We could choose.

Diana was liked because she didn't fit in. Maybe we should sell off the Royals, and spend the money on free cake. Hurrah!

Estro Felino

Believer in free will
Premium Member
Diana was liked because she didn't fit in. Maybe we should sell off the Royals, and spend the money on free cake. Hurrah!

We are in a much more serious situation.
Our President is the most paid head of state in Europe.
Much more than Queen Elizabeth. Much more.

Martin

We are in a much more serious situation.
Our President is the most paid head of state in Europe.

I'd gladly swap. You can have all the Royals, the old codgers in the House of Lords, and we'll throw in some knights too.

Kooky

Freedom from Sanity
Does he also own a vast real estate portfolio to an extent that dwarfs the largest landowners in his own country, and for which he even used to receive EU subsidies for, or multiple other business interests for which he effectively pays no taxes? Are these businesses exempt from regulations that all other businesses in his country are subjected to, and does he enjoy other legal privileges from which the majority population is excluded both de jure and de facto?

I ask because these are the benefits the royal house of Windsor enjoys, next to the generous stipends they receive for the minimal amount of representative duties they have to uphold.

Estro Felino

Believer in free will
Premium Member
Future Monarchs of Europe - YouTube - AVG Secure Browser 22_05_2022 09_40_39.png

Spain's queens

JIMMY12345

No, I'd rather kick out Liz, Phil and the other hanger's on and settle for a republic.
The Monarchy is pure in the sense it does not engage in Business deals etc.
Democracy is democracy to a degree.It depends on how usually now the Business people pump in.Advertising is wot wins votes.When this happens favours like contracts and under the table handouts happen.This applies to most countries.Foreign governments and Businesses buy votes for a reason.It buys influence.

Altfish

Veteran Member
The Monarchy is pure in the sense it does not engage in Business deals etc.
Democracy is democracy to a degree.It depends on how usually now the Business people pump in.Advertising is wot wins votes.When this happens favours like contracts and under the table handouts happen.This applies to most countries.Foreign governments and Businesses buy votes for a reason.It buys influence.
Yes, but in theory I could become PM, I cannot become King.
Why not?

Estro Felino

Believer in free will
Premium Member
Yes, but in theory I could become PM, I cannot become King.
Why not?
The Congress of Vienna has established that monarchies are supposed to be constitutional monarchies, so the royal dynasties have been invested of the responsibility to defend the several national constitutions. Some constitutions were simply "granted", other constitutions were denied.
The monarchies which did not grant constitutions would not survive, as we saw in the two Empires, the German and the Austrian one.

Estro Felino

Believer in free will
Premium Member
That's a beautiful royal family and King Frederik is the hottest male monarch in Europe.
;)
Ja...I like. :)