1. Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Mom arrested after daughter licks tongue depressor and puts it back in jar at doctor's office

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by Stevicus, Jul 18, 2019.

1. Stevicus

Stevicus Well-Known Member
    Premium Member

Ratings:
    +3,712
    Religion:
    Agnostic
    Mom arrested after daughter licks tongue depressor, puts it back in jar at doctor’s office

She claimed that she told the staff what happened and that she didn't intend to put anyone in danger.

What struck me about this is that she could get 30 years in prison. That seems a bit excessive.

2. Revoltingest

Revoltingest Greased up & ready for action!
    Premium Member

Ratings:
    +41,248
    Religion:
    Bokononism
    Wait til she's actually sentenced....if it even goes to trial at all.

3. A Vestigial Mote

A Vestigial Mote Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,462
    Religion:
    ?
    The charge is probably more just to send a message. Which is - don't just laugh about the fact that you are doing reckless things, record it and try to get "likes" on social media. In other words - don't be an idiot, and we'll all get along just fine. Could be a motto for the ages.

4. Stevicus

Stevicus Well-Known Member
    Premium Member

Ratings:
    +3,712
    Religion:
    Agnostic
    It does make me wonder if things like that happen and it's not recorded or uploaded to social media.

I remember an episode of M*A*S*H where a visiting general suggested washing out used tongue depressors and reusing them - to cut down on waste. It makes one wonder where they might try to cut corners.

5. Howard Is

Howard Is Lucky Mud

Ratings:
    +131
    Religion:
    Loving Kindness
    I can understand authorities saying that before copycats spread disease far and wide for a stupid laugh.
    From that perspective, the mother seems intellectually challenged. Or a tad psychopathic.

6. A Vestigial Mote

Ratings:
    +2,462
    Religion:
    ?
    I'd be more surprised if we somehow found out things like this had never happened.

Billions of people means many multiple billions of ideas firing off every second - and given human nature, a portion of those are going to be without regard to our fellow humans, or just whims lacking in self-control.

As for the pre-meditated "cutting corners" idea - I can't put my finger on whether it would be better to know or not to know for any past dealings I've had with medical staff. Yikes.

7. A Vestigial Mote

Ratings:
    +2,462
    Religion:
    ?
    This is, honestly, a good point. Before we knew it we could have had some kind of "Lick it all" challenge on our hands. When I read that back... it almost sounds sarcastic. I don't think that's a good sign.

8. Shadow Wolf

Shadow Wolf Crazy Diamond

Ratings:
    +17,607
    Religion:
    God is in the Rain
    As it was very irresponsible and reckless, she should be punished. People have to realize they are not self-contained bubbles who's actions affect only themselves. That could potentially make other people very ill. 30 years is way too harsh, but such behaviors can't go without punishment.

9. David1967

David1967 Well-Known Member
    Premium Member

Ratings:
    +6,307
    Religion:
    Christian
    I saw a video on the news the other day that showed a woman taking the lid off a container of ice cream, licking it and putting it back on the shelf. Of course, every moron that does such a thing today videos and posts it. The woman was arrested, and I haven't bought ice cream since.

• Funny Funny x 1
  10. SugarOcean

SugarOcean ¡pɹᴉǝM ʎɐʇS

Ratings:
    +281
    Religion:
    Christian
    Florida's justice system has nothing better to do with its time?

From the article: "The medical center released a statement calling this an isolated incident and said all materials were removed from that exam room, which was also sanitized."

The mom was remiss in filming this, besides the fact she should never have let her daughter do that. Or, put it back in with the other tongue depressor's. They're both idiots. But thirty years in prison? Yeah, that's beyond excessive.
    "Hey, what are you in for?"
    "I killed three people and ate some of their parts."
    "You?"
    "I filmed my daughter licking a tongue depressor at her doctor's office. "

Florida has a death penalty. I guess this doesn't meet the threshold.

11. Saint Frankenstein

Saint Frankenstein ᛘᛁᛏᚾᛁᚴᚼᛏ᛫ᛋᚢᚾ
    Premium Member

Ratings:
    +13,363
    Religion:
    Germanic Folk Revival
    That is disgusting and inexcusable, although 30 years is way too harsh.

12. Saint Frankenstein

Saint Frankenstein ᛘᛁᛏᚾᛁᚴᚼᛏ᛫ᛋᚢᚾ
    Premium Member

Ratings:
    +13,363
    Religion:
    Germanic Folk Revival
    Yeah, I've heard about that happening. It was part of some stupid "challenge" recently like the Tide Pod crap. Some people are just too dumb and too uncaring of others to live.

13. David1967

David1967 Well-Known Member
    Premium Member

Ratings:
    +6,307
    Religion:
    Christian
    Sad thing is, now it's made the news there will be more of this happening.