• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Mole Rats and Cancer

FranklinMichaelV.3

Zoologger: The rat that defies powerful carcinogens - life - 15 August 2013 - New Scientist

Zoologger is our weekly column highlighting extraordinary animals – and occasionally other organisms – from around the world

Species: Spalax ehrenbergi
Habitat: Dark, suffocating tunnels in damp soil deep beneath you – if you happen to live in the eastern Mediterranean

As anti-cancer regimes go, this one isn't going to get many takers. The Middle East blind mole rat spends almost all of its 20 years of life hurrying down dark and fusty tunnels full of oxygen-deprived air. But for reasons unknown, it works: in 50 years of research on the rodents, none has ever spontaneously developed cancer. We might finally be zeroing in on an explanation for their tumour-dodging skills.

Mole rats are so successful they've evolved twice. Fur might seem be the only thing distinguishing the naked mole ratsMovie Camera of Africa from the blind mole rats of Asia, but the two animals actually sit on entirely different branches of the rodent evolutionary tree.

Of the two groups, the mole rats of Africa, which belong to a family called the bathyergids, are probably the more peculiar. Two African species – the naked mole rat and the Damaraland mole rat – are the only mammals in the world to have opted for a termite-like eusocial existence: a single queen gives birth to all other colony members.

The Asian mole rats – in the spalacid family – do not go in for this kind of unusual breeding behaviour. But they do share one thing in common with their African doppelgangers: they never develop cancer. In fact, researchers have just discovered that the Middle East blind mole rat will not develop cancer even when it is exposed to some potent cancer-causing chemicals. After three years of exposure to one of two powerful carcinogens, only one of the 20 animals studied developed any tumours.

"We've shown that whether the rats are young or old, it's almost impossible to induce cancer in them," says Aaron Avivi of the University of Haifa in Israel. By contrast, rats and mice exposed to the same chemicals developed tumours in a matter of months.

Stubborn immunity

A possible implication of the mole rats' stubborn immunity is that their cells and tissues contain substances that protect them even from some of the most powerful cancer-causing chemicals. Avivi and his colleagues are now trying to identify such substances, in an effort to find new and potent agents to combat cancer in people – and they are making progress.

The team took fibroblast skin cells from the armpits of the rats and grew them in culture alongside cancer cells, including two types each of human liver and breast cancers. The fibroblasts rapidly killed the human cancer cells. So did fluids secreted by the fibroblasts, suggesting that there's something in there of great value to combat cancer. And when he checked, Avivi found that the fibroblasts and their secretions didn't harm healthy human cells. "It was only cancer cells," he says.

As controls, fibroblasts and secretions from normal lab rats, mice, and another rodent called the spiny mouse were powerless to stop the human cancer cells growing.

Globby goo

Earlier this year, a research team from the University of Rochester in New York identified a chemical in African naked mole rats that seems to protect them against developing cancer. Vera Gorbunova and her colleagues concluded that the chemical is high-molecular-mass hyaluronan (HMM-HA) – a sticky, globby goo that the rats secrete to help them slither through tight tunnels underground.

When Gorbunova genetically engineered naked mole rats so that they could not make HMM-HA, they became vulnerable to cancer, suggesting that the substance is a key to protecting them.

Avivi isn't convinced that HMM-HA can explain why his Middle East mole rats do not get cancer, though. He says that the extracts from their fibroblasts did not contain much of the sticky substance.

Gorbunova says there are some other possible mechanisms. The Middle East mole rat cells might secrete another chemical, called beta interferon, which kills cancerous cells. But she remains convinced that the key chemical protecting both naked and blind mole rats is HMM-HA.

Avivi, meanwhile, is continuing to check for other cancer-killing chemicals that might be responsible. "Our future work is to try to find what Spalax cells secrete that only interacts with and kills cancer cells," he says.

Journal reference: BMC Biology, DOI: 10.1186/1741-7007-11-91

Anyone else hear about this? That's pretty impressive though I feel the population size they used was too small (I believe it says 20 in this article but i'll try to find the actual article to see what the actual results were).

Despite their being differences in the species found in Africa and Asia they still share a very important trait that has helped their survival.

It'd be interesting to find out why they evolved such immune systems... it probably has to do with their underground lifestyle, but that's just speculation....

FranklinMichaelV.3

It'd be interesting to find out why they evolved such immune systems... it probably has to do with their underground lifestyle, but that's just speculation....

Well Crocodiles apparently have a hearty immune system as well, but they are in contact with more parasites, infections (cuts from bleeding), then I think Mole Rats are.

I would say life under ground is fairly sterile compared to the petri dish that is a river.

Maybe, although many toxic bacteria, such as those causing tetanus, live in the ground. Like I said though, it is all speculative untill there is any data :)

FranklinMichaelV.3

Maybe, although many toxic bacteria, such as those causing tetanus, live in the ground. Like I said though, it is all speculative untill there is any data :)

That's very true, but those usually require a wound exposure right?

It may be and this is just speculation that since the mole rat hasn't had to deal with bacteria like we have that it's immune system evolved in ways to better benefit what it would have to deal with. Like cancer.

That's very true, but those usually require a wound exposure right?

It may be and this is just speculation that since the mole rat hasn't had to deal with bacteria like we have that it's immune system evolved in ways to better benefit what it would have to deal with. Like cancer.

Well, scratches can happen when you are digging through dirt... I guess its possible that their immune system eveolved to target cancer, maybe since there can be soil radiation that makes it more likely (not sure if that's an issue where the mole rats live, but some parts of the world have more soil radiation than others). I would bet, though, that the lack of cancer is a side benefit of a system targeting something else... not that I can offer a true informed opinion, just a guess based on a hunch.

FranklinMichaelV.3

Well, scratches can happen when you are digging through dirt... I guess its possible that their immune system eveolved to target cancer, maybe since there can be soil radiation that makes it more likely (not sure if that's an issue where the mole rats live, but some parts of the world have more soil radiation than others). I would bet, though, that the lack of cancer is a side benefit of a system targeting something else... not that I can offer a true informed opinion, just a guess based on a hunch.

I think that's a very likely possiblity. Perhaps exposure to organisms that can induce cancer.