• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Moksha is earned, unlike Heaven

RamaRaksha

Moksha is earned, not given, and that is the essential difference between Moksha & Heaven. Apparently, according to some religions, one can beg for God’s mercy like a dog and then be allowed to taste the pleasures of heaven, one must lower oneself to a slave/subject/servant level, agree with everything “god” says, & beg for his mercy for the mistakes that he or she may have committed.

But one can’t beg for Moksha, because Enlightenment is acquired thru knowledge. Hinduism, Buddhism are Teacher faiths, followers are Students of God and must actively pursue the knowledge being imparted by our Guru, God. Many times we are imparted great knowledge but it maybe only years later that we get the point. God is not going to force this knowledge on to Her Students; each student must acquire this knowledge in his own way and in his own time. It is important that throughout our life we examine our actions dispassionately, be introspective, and seek to change our behavior when necessary.

Let’s take an example: Driving a car, you make a mistake and cause a horrible crash. You die, and if your goal is heaven, then you better get down on your knees and start begging. If he shows mercy, you can enjoy heaven; give no thought to the living victims of the crash that you caused who are forced to deal with the pain & suffering. Apparently god has no mercy for the living.

But if your goal is Moksha, you would do the same as if you were alive. If you were alive, you stop your car, attend to the injured & give whatever help that is necessary. Later, stand tall and take responsibility for your actions, humbly deal with the criticism and blame thrown at you, and work to make things better for the injured victims. This is where Karma & Rebirth comes in, once reborn, realize that you have been given a chance to set things right.

Another example would be of a student who turns in a bad paper, then begs his Teacher to pass him anyway. By taking “mercy” on this student is the Teacher doing the right thing? Is She helping the student? A good Teacher would never do that, if She does, She is not doing her job nor is She helping the student. A good student must never beg for pass marks. Accept the result, redouble his efforts and turn in a good paper the next time.

Enlightenment or Moksha, then, must be acquired or earned, never given nor begged for. It is the higher goal.

Onkara

Hi RamaRaksha
You share some interesting thoughts, thanks!

Correct, moksha is earnt. The individual must strive to understand and discriminate whilst the indivdual recognises moksha as the ultimate goal. If there still appears to be lacking in clarity then there are sources which can address that want for clarity.

From an Advaitin perspective it is ignornance i.e. lack of clear understanding, which conceals the truth. It isnt race, caste, age or religious background which allow someone to arrive at moksha, but the removal of ingrance (avidya) by knowledge (vidya) by any individual in any life circumstance and from any background.

What might come as a suprise is that once moksha is gained, it becomes apparent, for the Advaitin, that there wasn't any earning or achievement. Rather it was grace or fortune which revealed moskha. The previously struggling individual, trying to pass the exam or to gain enlightnement, gives way and what shines forth is the overwhelming oneness of it all. Existance resonates with the bliss which was never missing, only mistaken. Consciousness is then known as which makes both the struggle and the victory possible and the individual dissolves into that sea of consciousness and bliss.

That isn't to imply that the individual doesnt remain, doesn't beep his car horn in rage or fear or run to help at the scene of the accident as you say, but rather all this is happening to more than an individual, rather is appears to happen in that sublime sea of conscious existance, saturated with bliss of being.

AUM

Last edited:

Riverwolf

Amateur Rambler / Proud Ergi
Premium Member
Heaven as described in Christianity and Islam doesn't seem different in terms of how it's achieved from the temporary heavens described in the Bhagavad-Gita, which are obtained by Vedic rites.

Reading the Gospels, I never got the impression that all you had to do was get down on your knees and beg to get to heaven; the Law was still required, as was the supplementary teachings by Jesus himself. Islam seemed to be the same way from what little of the Qur'an I've read.

RamaRaksha

Heaven as described in Christianity and Islam doesn't seem different in terms of how it's achieved from the temporary heavens described in the Bhagavad-Gita, which are obtained by Vedic rites.

Reading the Gospels, I never got the impression that all you had to do was get down on your knees and beg to get to heaven; the Law was still required, as was the supplementary teachings by Jesus himself. Islam seemed to be the same way from what little of the Qur'an I've read.

I am not sure how the temp heaven works plus it does not add up - we get punished in hell but then we suffer the consequences of karma in the next birth? That's suffering twice for the same error?

Also I have never gotten the connection between learning a lesson by being made to suffer. Let me tie up the average person and go to work on him with a whip and a hot poker and I can make him say or do anything i want. Answer this question: Are you against slavery? God thinks otherwise - do you stand up for your principles? or do you disagree and then be sent to hell where after a few whiplashes, slavery starts making sense to you?

The concept of Hell arose from times when life was harsh - criminals were dealt harshly - stoning people to death, cutting off people's hands was quite common. They didn't have the justice system nor the jails that we have today. These are primitive ideas from primitive times. It is amazing to me that the oldest religion does not subscibe to these primitive ideas - it asks us to view God as a benevolent one, She is not going to punish us but we don't get away with it either.

As for the gospels, what is the alternative? Be sent to hell? they say God is merciful he will pardon everyone, except i guess those who don't belong to his religion.

As for the Vedas, do you know who wrote them? Anyone can write anything & thousands of years later, it is taken as the literal truth. We already see the tragic consequences when people blindly follow a holy book, & you are doing the same? This is idolatry.

Riverwolf

Amateur Rambler / Proud Ergi
Premium Member
I am not sure how the temp heaven works plus it does not add up - we get punished in hell but then we suffer the consequences of karma in the next birth? That's suffering twice for the same error?

Also I have never gotten the connection between learning a lesson by being made to suffer. Let me tie up the average person and go to work on him with a whip and a hot poker and I can make him say or do anything i want. Answer this question: Are you against slavery? God thinks otherwise - do you stand up for your principles? or do you disagree and then be sent to hell where after a few whiplashes, slavery starts making sense to you?

The concept of Hell arose from times when life was harsh - criminals were dealt harshly - stoning people to death, cutting off people's hands was quite common. They didn't have the justice system nor the jails that we have today. These are primitive ideas from primitive times. It is amazing to me that the oldest religion does not subscibe to these primitive ideas - it asks us to view God as a benevolent one, She is not going to punish us but we don't get away with it either.

As for the gospels, what is the alternative? Be sent to hell? they say God is merciful he will pardon everyone, except i guess those who don't belong to his religion.
Hell isn't even in the gospels; Jesus spoke of the garbage heap outside of Jerusalem.

As for the Vedas, do you know who wrote them? Anyone can write anything & thousands of years later, it is taken as the literal truth. We already see the tragic consequences when people blindly follow a holy book, & you are doing the same? This is idolatry.
What gave you the idea that I was following any book literally?

I don't believe the true Vedas to be any book, but the accumulation of Knowledge and Wisdom. The Rig, Sama, Yajur, and Atharva Vedas are recorded Knowledge and Wisdom of the Ancients, and of course, that Knowledge would be mistaken in many areas.