1. Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Mohamed (PBUH) in the bible !!!

Discussion in 'Religious Debates' started by TashaN, Sep 5, 2005.

1. Quiddity

Quiddity UndertheInfluenceofGiants

Ratings:
    +1,395
    Religion:
    Catholic
    A couple corrections here. That Canon was not written but rather assembled. The Canon is a collection of books collected and recognized by the early Church.

And how does Parakletos = Mohammed?

~Victor

2. Popeyesays

Popeyesays Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +470
    It hinges on the meaning of the Greek. This is not my own writing, but from: http://www.ummah.net/forum/showthread.php?mode=hybrid&t=2671

"To really find out we first have to know what Paracletos means. Some have translated it Comforter, Counselor, or even Advocate. But each of these translations is inadequate and inaccurate. This is why noted Biblical scholars such as Raymond Brown prefer to simply keep the word Paracletos untranslated. They use an anglicized version: Paraclete. So Jesus according to this usage said that another Paraclete will come after Jesus goes away. But what does Paraclete mean? According to Harper's Bible Dictionary, 1985 edition, the word paraclete means "one called to the side of" (p.749). The same dictionary tells us that the Hebrew word for prophet (nabi) means "one who calls" or "one who is called" (p. 826). This seems to mean that a nabi is a paraclete. Hence when Jesus spoke of another paraclete to come after him he spoke of another prophet to come. This makes sense since Jesus was also a prophet according to the Bible.This finding is further supported by these facts:

1. The Old Testament scholar Bernhard Anderson in his book Understanding the Old Testament says that it is uncertain whether the word nabi means "one who calls" or "one who is called." But he does say that the word means a prophet. And he tells us: "The prophet is an intermediary, a spokesperson--one who acts and speaks on behalf of Another" (fourth edition, p. 248). We conclude that a prophet is a spokesperson for God.

2. Raymond Brown in his monumental 2-volume commentary on John's Gospel admits that Paraclete can mean "an intercessor, a mediator, a spokesman" (volume 2, p. 1136). We conclude that a Paraclete is a spokesman for God. 3. The Bible in Living English translated by Stephen T. Byington translates the word Paraclete as "spokesman." We conclude that Jesus was speaking of another Paraclete/Spokesman/Prophet to come after him. What about the fact that John 14:26 calls the Paraclete "the Holy Spirit"? As Raymond Brown points out, some Biblical scholars think the passage originally just said "the Spirit." They say that "Holy" would have been added later on. In Brown's 2-volume commentary we find the following pertinent admission:

"… even some who think it was the genuine reading suggest that in the process of Johannine editing it was introduced into a passage that originally mentioned only the Paraclete. The question is of importance because there are some scholars who question the traditional identification of the Paraclete with the Holy Spirit (see App. V), and this is the only passage that makes that identification explicit" (vol. 2, p. 650).

Brown makes it plain that according to some Christian scholars it is not certain that the Paraclete is the Holy Spirit. They think that this only passage that teaches so is a later corruption of the original.

Do Muslims need to say any more?"

By the way, I am not a Muslim.

Regards,
    Scott

• Like Like x 1
  3. Quiddity

Ratings:
    +1,395
    Religion:
    Catholic
    Thanks Popeyesays, but the different translation really does come down to interpretation as well, doesn't it?

~Victor

4. Popeyesays

Popeyesays Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +470
    Yes, it does.

Interpretation is always critical. My rule of thumb is if it increases harmony between the religions its probably a good interpretation.

Interpretation is key when discussing any sacred text. Given the richness of sacred text, one should probably try to amalgamate interpretations rather than exclude them. It is a tradition in my faith that every letter has seven meanings - so how many in a verse or the Gospels, or the Qur'an.

Much hinges in Islam on what "Seal" means, and why did Muhammed use the term Khata'am (signet) rather than Khatim (last in a series) when He called Himself the Seal of the Prophets. The whole assumption of Muhammed as the LAST of the Prophets falls apart on the interpretation of these two words from the same Arabic root.

Regards,

Scott

5. Quiddity

Ratings:
    +1,395
    Religion:
    Catholic
    Very cool. Learned something new today..:bounce

~Victor

6. lilithu

lilithu The Devil's Advocate

Ratings:
    +1,858
    Must spread karma around before giving it to popeyesays again. But just wanted you to know I find this post exceptionally frubal-worthy.

I especially appreciated you sharing your "rule of thumb" when it comes to interpreting texts. I have a similar tho not idential hermeneutics. My rule of thumb is that if it increases harmony between people then it is probably a good interpretation. My guess is that we would agree with each other about 99% of the time. :)