• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Modesty-cultural and relative, or absolute?

Skywalker

Do you think modesty (as commanded in the Bible) is something absolute, or relative and determined by culture? Different cultures have different ideas of modesty. In some cultures, what many here consider to be the comftorable clothing in warm weather (a t shirt) is immodest for women, and so are shorts on both genders. Many tribes are the exact opposite, they wear very little clothing, and its acceptable in their societies.

My personal belief, based on what the Bible says, is that modesty (in a bibical sense-it can have different meanings) isnt about covering as much skin as possible to avoid lust, it is to dress in a way that is decent, which applies to both genders equally, and not being a stumbling block comes second. People have common sense and they know which clothing causes shame.

I'm not saying its a bad idea to dress in ways appropriate to the culture, but I dont believe that is what the Bible defines as modesty.

Nietzsche

The Last Prussian
Premium Member
Do you think modesty (as commanded in the Bible) is something absolute, or relative and determined by culture? Different cultures have different ideas of modesty. In some cultures, what many here consider to be the comftorable clothing in warm weather (a t shirt) is immodest for women, and so are shorts on both genders. Many tribes are the exact opposite, they wear very little clothing, and its acceptable in their societies.

My personal belief, based on what the Bible says, is that modesty (in a bibical sense-it can have different meanings) isnt about covering as much skin as possible to avoid lust, it is to dress in a way that is decent, which applies to both genders equally, and not being a stumbling block comes second. People have common sense and they know which clothing causes shame.

I'm not saying its a bad idea to dress in ways appropriate to the culture, but I dont believe that is what the Bible defines as modesty.
Given that 'lust' is as culturally-dependent as notions of modesty, I'd say that it would have to be relative just so the meaning of the message is retained. For instance, no reasonable person would claim that Amazonian Tribes who go around basically naked would be "immodest". One must also remember that lust, physical desiring for the body of another, is something that changes even in individuals. Look at Nudist groups. They're not constantly aroused, because 'being naked' no longer has a purely erotic dimension. It's simply "how we look".

Skywalker

Given that 'lust' is as culturally-dependent as notions of modesty, I'd say that it would have to be relative just so the meaning of the message is retained. For instance, no reasonable person would claim that Amazonian Tribes who go around basically naked would be "immodest". One must also remember that lust, physical desiring for the body of another, is something that changes even in individuals. Look at Nudist groups. They're not constantly aroused, because 'being naked' no longer has a purely erotic dimension. It's simply "how we look".

How can culture itself determine what is sinful to wear? With the exception of countries that have laws that require it, i personally dont believe that its bibically required for women to be covered from head to toe just because of cultural traditions.

Nietzsche

The Last Prussian
Premium Member
How can culture itself determine what is sinful to wear?
I didn't say that it decided what was sinful, I said that culture decides what invokes arousal & lust. Not consciously, obviously.

With the exception of countries that have laws that require it, i personally dont believe that its bibically required for women to be covered from head to toe just because of cultural traditions.
And I agree. What I was saying is that for the Biblical bit about modesty to be relevant, it has to be applied within the confines of the culture of the reader. That's true of the vast majority of the Bible as well, but especially so with things involving notions of sexual arousal & such.