• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Modern Satanist

Rejected

Under Reconstruction
Victor said:
Are Modern Satanist simply atheist?

Thats kind of a complicated answer. if you mean atheists in the sense that they do not beleive in an external god concept, then yes. Technically Laveyan Satanist do not recognize the Judeo/Christian God, or any other Supernatural Deity held by any other religion, as far as i know. Some LSes (Laveyan Satainsts) hold to a purely scientific explanation to the world and natural phenomenon, and do not practice the ritual aspect of the Laveyan philosophy.

Some LSes however use ritual magick of a system invented by Anton LaVey that he claimed to simplify from exsting occult systems to deify the self. Chanting, spells, the whole works. He (Lavey) even claimed to rewrite the Enochian Keys that John Dee claimed were revealed to him by angels in the late 16th century. To me that doesn't exactly fit in with atheism, since these people beleive that they can make changes in reality through supernatural means.

It all really depends on the individual.

Quiddity

UndertheInfluenceofGiants
Rejected said:
Thats kind of a complicated answer. if you mean atheists in the sense that they do not beleive in an external god concept, then yes. Technically Laveyan Satanist do not recognize the Judeo/Christian God, or any other Supernatural Deity held by any other religion, as far as i know. Some LSes (Laveyan Satainsts) hold to a purely scientific explanation to the world and natural phenomenon, and do not practice the ritual aspect of the Laveyan philosophy.

Some LSes however use ritual magick of a system invented by Anton LaVey that he claimed to simplify from exsting occult systems to deify the self. Chanting, spells, the whole works. He (Lavey) even claimed to rewrite the Enochian Keys that John Dee claimed were revealed to him by angels in the late 16th century. To me that doesn't exactly fit in with atheism, since these people beleive that they can make changes in reality through supernatural means.

It all really depends on the individual.

Excellent, thanks.

Goat

Instead of Atheist I have often used the word soplipsism to describe the attitude Satanists have towards their preception of divinity.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Solipsism
There is ritual magic but it is seen in the LeVian sense as a rise in energy towards a goal as I understand it. There is appeal which appears like capitulation towards a entity or image. :bow: but it is a sort of self-worship. In my case I feel naturally that any being I may conjure deserving of my worship it is myself no matter how distantly alien the thing is. Any sound you hear is you speaking back to yourself. It's your smallest two bones in your ears creating all sound. There is no sight without eyes and so on. Even the enemy entity which is as far as we can go thinking isn' t us (the outside world) is of course your inside. us coming in at us, You imply yourself out while in, etc.

When a Satanist dies, he simotaniously becomes an athiest.

chicoine666

the Great Destroyer
Actually goat, it is the mind that hears or sees, the eyes are just instruments the brain uses to understand certain aspects of it's surroundings. However, one could argue that reality is only a concept that exists in your mind. i may not actually be typing on a computer as the only evidence i have of it are the five senses, and hallucinations have proven those can fail.

I personally believe the mind has the ability to affect the "physical world" due to it's electro-chemical nature and the electron clouds of all atoms. what one person would call ritual magick, i would call psychokinesis.