• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Modern Deism

Random

Deism is the real default position for a disbeliever in an intercessional or immanent God. C'mon guys...non-theists should value it highly. It's a wonderful product; it has naturalism, Reason, logic, science, and objectivity! Give it a try, read the linky...

Halcyon

Lord of the Badgers
Deism is the real default position for a disbeliever in an intercessional or immanent God. C'mon guys...non-theists should value it highly. It's a wonderful product; it has naturalism, Reason, logic, science, and objectivity! Give it a try, read the linky...
It's the default position for someone who disbelieves in a personal God, but who still believes a divine intelligence created the universe, so it's not all that valuable to non-theists IMHO.

Wandered Off

Sporadic Driveby Member
I've spent time at many of the bigger Deism sites, and this one is not my favorite. This guy is evangelical about it (selling bumper stickers, anti-tracts, and the like) and he is also very political. He talks a lot of trash about religious people. For a gentler deistic message, this one is good:

Positive Deism

It's the default position for someone who disbelieves in a personal God, but who still believes a divine intelligence created the universe, so it's not all that valuable to non-theists IMHO.
Though this is the traditional position and many still hold it, not all deists believe in an intelligent or even conscious creator. A significant number I've run across just believe in some kind of causal force that may not be conscious or aware.

Halcyon

Lord of the Badgers
Though this is the traditional position and many still hold it, not all deists believe in an intelligent or even conscious creator. A significant number I've run across just believe in some kind of causal force that may not be conscious or aware.
Interesting. So, do they usually consider this force divine in nature?

Wandered Off

Sporadic Driveby Member
Interesting. So, do they usually consider this force divine in nature?
Not in the usual sense, I think. I don't think they worship it, for example. It's more of a label, as far as I can tell.

Still, this view is not the majority by any means. I suspect most are exactly as you described, just not all.

tumbleweed41

Resident Liberal Hippie
Maybe this will help. These are the Articles of Reason I have drawn from my beliefs.

1. Human beings are endowed by their Creator with the ability to Reason.
2. Reason and Natural Law lead us closer to the truth.
3. Reason leads us to believe in one God, or Prime Mover, who began Creation, and let Creation follow its own path, according to Natural Law.
4. Reason leads us to believe that all Human Beings are equal, regardless of race, origin, gender, or sexual preference.
5. We owe it to ourselves, as Reasonable beings, to act morally towards one and other.
6. God works within the realm of Natural Law, “miracle” and “revealed revelation” does not fit within Natural Law or Reason.
7. We owe it to ourselves, as Reasonable beings, whose very existence is dependent upon Natural Law, to be thoughtful caretakers of this world.
8. God, through Natural Law, gave us life. Reason leads us to believe that our purpose in life should be to live life to the fullest, and to ensure that all are provided the opportunity to do so.
9. Natural Law gives us Freewill. Predestination is contrary to Natural Law and is not Reasonable.
10. There is no “True Path”. As Science and understanding of our Natural world evolve, so too will our understanding of God.