• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Modern-Day Prophets

sojourner

Annoyingly Progressive Since 2006
Katzpur said:
Since I'm sure you will agree that God is the source of all truth, why do you believe that He would not be rigid in defining it? Where you use the word "rigid," I would use the word "constant." It would be hard for me to worship a God who could be swayed to suit the whims of any soul naive enough to insist that all opinions and beliefs are equally valid.

I don't think God is rigid. I think we are rigid (in ourviewpoints, mind sets and beliefs). I would agree that God is constant. However, our human perception of God, and truth, are not constant. "Constant" and "rigid" are two different things.

The Mississippi River is constant, but it certainly is not rigid. Likewise, truth is constant (as God is constant), but not rigid. We see the Mississippi River from one vantage point. The fish see it from an entrely different vantage point. We see it as transportation, as barrier, as landmark. The fish see it as home, as world, as life. Which viewpoint is "truth?" They both are -- even though they appear (from one viewpoint) to be contrdictory to each other. Our viewpoint is valid. So is the fish's.

God does not depend upon our vision of truth. Truth does not depend upon our perspective. But our understanding depends upon our perspective. The granting of latitude and a desire to see the larger picture does not constitute naivete -- rather, it acknowledges that one's own perspective is not the universal constant. That kind of thinking leads us to humanism.

reyjamiei

Polaris said:
I don't know of anything in the NT that indicates there should be no more prophets. To the contrary Paul taught that the very foundation of Christ's church consists of "apostles and prophets" (Ephesians 2:20). And Amos' statement that I referenced previously seems to indicate quite emphatically that prophets are necessary.

You raise an interesting point. In order for many Christians to even begin to accept modern-day prophets and revelation, their view of the Pope would likely have to be altered.

So is it the vested interests of the people that keep them from realistically considering the possible existance of modern-day prophets, despite what scripture says and what Christianity itself is founded on?

I agree with you, I just want to point out that most Christians that I have talked too about modern day prophets always seem you use the same Bible verses to show that there are no more prophets.

The verses usually used are one or all of these:

Matthew 7:15
Matthew 24:11
Matthew 24:24
Mark 13:22
2 Peter 2:1
1 John 4:1

These verses all refer to false prophets or teachers but what they don't seem to realize is that by warning against false prophets, there must also be real legitimate prophets. Otherwise it would have been just as easy and more beneficial for the writers to warn against all future prophets because there will be no more revelations from God but they did not do that.

Baerly

Polaris said:
This is a topic that has recently come up briefly in a few different threads so I decided it was time to bring it up on its own.

As many of you know, we LDS believe in a living modern-day prophet, called of God, and authorized to clarify and establish doctrines, and even canonize new revelations and new scripture. As one of our articles of faith states... "We believe all that God has revealed, all that He does now reveal, and we believe that He will yet reveal many great and important things pertaining to the Kingdom of God." We believe this is done through his chosen prophets just as explained by Amos - "Surely the Lord God will do nothing, but He revealeth his secret unto his servants the prophets." (Amos 3:7).

In light of the passage in Amos, and the fact that much of Christianity is based on the very existance of prophets, revelations, and inspired writings, why does it seem that most Christians deny the existance or even possible existance of modern-day prophets? It is ironic to me that a significant portion of the Bible portrays prophets who are rejected by the people and yet many Christians are so quick to do the same today. Why?

Could you prove from the new testament that we're are to have prophets today?

The problem with going to (Amos 3:7) to prove prophets would continue till the present date is that scripture does not say how long they were going to continue.They did exist for many years according to the bible. BUT the bible also says in (1Cor.13:8-10) that prophecies would fail,vanish away,cease.When did the scripure say they would cease? When that which is perfect is come.

The question is what is that which is perfect? May I suggest that the bible tells us in (James 1:25) (Gal.6:2) that which is perfect is the bible. It is the perfect
(or complete) word of God. It is complete because according to (Jude 1:3) the faith was once delivered. It is complete (or perfect) because according to (2 Peter 1:3) God has given us all things that pertain to life and godliness.

Some people claim the word that in (1Cor.13:10) refers to Jesus. I have no doubt that the Holy Spirit definitley would not refer to Jesus as a That.

If prophecies are still happening then so are miracles,speaking in tongues,etc. --
If that be the case I know a person that will pay $10,000 to person who can prove he can preform miracles like those Jesus and the apostles preformed. I am confident no one will collect that $10,000. The reason is this man has been offering that $10,000 for many years and no one has collected it to date. Not only that but I heard him on T.V. the other day make the very same offer to the public. But the ultimate reason I do not believe prophecies happen today is because the scriptures said they ceased when the bible was complete.

(2 Peter 1:3) says we have (All things) pertaining to life and godliness. So please tell me how much more than all can I have? This was wrote by an apostle during the first century who always told the truth (John 16:13) (John 14:26). -in love baerly

Elvendon

Mystical Tea Dispenser
Baerly - From what I have read - doing magic tricks isn't mentioned in the signs of a true prophet - in fact, Revelation says that the antichrist will do many great signs. What are the true signs are various virtues that have been exhibited by many spiritual figures throughout Christian history.

nutshell

Baerly said:

The problem with going to (Amos 3:7) to prove prophets would continue till the present date is that scripture does not say how long they were going to continue.They did exist for many years according to the bible. BUT the bible also says in (1Cor.13:8-10) that prophecies would fail,vanish away,cease.When did the scripure say they would cease? When that which is perfect is come.

The question is what is that which is perfect? May I suggest that the bible tells us in (James 1:25) (Gal.6:2) that which is perfect is the bible. It is the perfect
(or complete) word of God. It is complete because according to (Jude 1:3) the faith was once delivered. It is complete (or perfect) because according to (2 Peter 1:3) God has given us all things that pertain to life and godliness.

Some people claim the word that in (1Cor.13:10) refers to Jesus. I have no doubt that the Holy Spirit definitley would not refer to Jesus as a That.

If prophecies are still happening then so are miracles,speaking in tongues,etc. --
If that be the case I know a person that will pay $10,000 to person who can prove he can preform miracles like those Jesus and the apostles preformed. I am confident no one will collect that $10,000. The reason is this man has been offering that $10,000 for many years and no one has collected it to date. Not only that but I heard him on T.V. the other day make the very same offer to the public. But the ultimate reason I do not believe prophecies happen today is because the scriptures said they ceased when the bible was complete.

(2 Peter 1:3) says we have (All things) pertaining to life and godliness. So please tell me how much more than all can I have? This was wrote by an apostle during the first century who always told the truth (John 16:13) (John 14:26). -in love baerly

Well, your friend will continue to wait. Miracles aren't performed for money. Too bad he wasn't around when I performed some of my own through the power of God, but then again, I wasn't doing it for the money, but was in His service.

kai

ragamuffin
i may be out of my depth here theologically speaking but if you were a genuine prophet and went around prophesising no one would believe you besides its a risky business being a prophet look at jesus,the BaB,joseph smith and others.it all seems to end in martyrdom doesnt it

nutshell

kai said:
i may be out of my depth here theologically speaking but if you were a genuine prophet and went around prophesising no one would believe you besides its a risky business being a prophet look at jesus,the BaB,joseph smith and others.it all seems to end in martyrdom doesnt it

I wasn't claiming I was a prophet.

kai

ragamuffin
nutshell said:
I wasn't claiming I was a prophet.
although my post came after yours nutshell it wasnt directed at you personally ,it was a general observation

Super Universe

Defender of God
Baerly said:

Only $10,000 for me to perform a miracle like one Jesus performed?

But what would I need your $10,000 for when I would easily be able to make my own million?

If you don't believe that you can perform every miracle that Jesus performed, then you can't.

nutshell

kai said:
although my post came after yours nutshell it wasnt directed at you personally ,it was a general observation

Ah, got it. My bad and thanks for hte clarification.