• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Moderate and Extreme Religious Views

Kilgore Trout

Misanthropic Humanist
Moderate religious people of various faiths appear to tend to disassociate extreme views from their own. They seem to write it off as something separate from their views and having no influence on the way the view their religion. However, is this actually the case?

Do extremists take the same view? Or, do they believe they can influence moderates to accept their more "correct" views through their actions and words?

Either way, whatever social dynamic one looks at, there appears to be a tendency for the middle to be slowly pulled by the extremes. Is it dangerous for moderates to simply assume that they are not affected by the extreme?

Additionally, is there some level on which the middle identifies with the extremists, and as the extreme gets more extreme, what they accept, and identify with also gets more extreme?

dogsgod

There are no moderates. Believing an invisible God created us and the universe is as extreme as it gets.

Riverwolf

Amateur Rambler / Proud Ergi
Premium Member
Well, extremist views are still part of the religion, just as extreme fanboys are still part of fandom as a whole.

However, moderates do disassociate not so much on beliefs, but aggressiveness. Moderates and extremists can sometimes have the same beliefs, but they take different positions on spreading those beliefs.

logician

There are no moderates. Believing an invisible God created us and the universe is as extreme as it gets.

I guess the question is, what is the distinction between extreme and moderate?

Like you say, it may be far less that most people think. The basic beliefs of both are about the same, just the way they act out their religion differs. Some sit quietly the pews, others are dancing in the aisles speaking in tongues.

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
What do you make of Sam Harris's contention that moderates provide "cover" for -- i.e. lend legitimacy to -- extremists since moderates give a good name to holding irrational views?

Kilgore Trout

Misanthropic Humanist
What do you make of Sam Harris's contention that moderates provide "cover" for -- i.e. lend legitimacy to -- extremists since moderates give a good name to holding irrational views?

Not sure. I think there's some type of connection, but something about his argument seems a bit too simplistic. Perhaps, that's why it's a concept I'm currently exploring and reflecting on.

.lava

Veteran Member
Moderate religious people of various faiths appear to tend to disassociate extreme views from their own. They seem to write it off as something separate from their views and having no influence on the way the view their religion. However, is this actually the case?

Do extremists take the same view? Or, do they believe they can influence moderates to accept their more "correct" views through their actions and words?

Either way, whatever social dynamic one looks at, there appears to be a tendency for the middle to be slowly pulled by the extremes. Is it dangerous for moderates to simply assume that they are not affected by the extreme?

Additionally, is there some level on which the middle identifies with the extremists, and as the extreme gets more extreme, what they accept, and identify with also gets more extreme?

IMO calling peaceful religious people "moderate religious" is wrong unless you are prejudiced. it makes it sound like being a religious person is what makes people dangerous and extremist but in case they were upgraded they become moderate ones. therefor i find your argument to be unfair even from the beginning.

i think those who commit crime against humanity and try to enslave others do not care for anything at all. maybe there are some naive ones who follow olders thinking they are on the right path. but sooner or later, at certain point they would have to witness hypocracy and they would have to make a decision. personally speaking, everything around me and everything i am aware of effect me. i can imagine it is possible for someone who is peaceful to become cruel in certain conditions. if your whole family was murdered by soldiers wearing certain uniform, you might skip seeing individuals and instead you might only see uniforms. anyone who's wearing that uniform would be percieved as the ones who took lives of your beloved ones. i think it happens but i also think it is a kind of frenzy. i mean, people are not drugged. they still make decisions. so IMO one way or another, if you are not completely out of your mind aka if you are still sane, you would not become something you would not admire and respect

ChristineES

Tiggerism
Premium Member
It isn't whether your religious views are moderate or extreme, it is how we act on them. No one is going to notice a strongly religious man or woman who goes to work, does his or her job, spends time with his or her family, etc. It is only if the guy or gal decides to go blow up an abortion clinic when some religious person gets noticed. ;)

Just_me_Mike

All this makes since when evaluating groups. However, isolate an individual and these trends would likely disappear. Pointing to a reality where conclusions based on group trends might not reflect actual individual trends.

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
I think he's got a bit of a point, but I'm not sure if it's something we should be faulting the moderates for.

I think the link is clearer in cases where moderates give material support to extremists... for instance, liberal Catholics who personally have no problem with contraception or same-sex marriage, but still put money into the collection basket that ends up funding campaigns against both. In those cases, I am willing to put the blame for some of the extremism on the head of the moderate who is supposedly against it.