• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

MLK

Estro Felino

Believer in free will
Premium Member
I know this narrative. By heart.
JFK, RFK, MLK were adulterers...blah, blah, blah...

I have started a thread few days ago: Heterosexual Adultery and Politics

It's irrelevant.
Obama may be the most loyal and faithful husband, the most perfect family man in the world...but that doesn't mean anything, because his policies were very bad and disastrous. And I think this person deserves nothing but scorn.

I think MLK was a martyr and a hero. And deserves praise. And his sex life is absolutely irrelevant.
We Christians are all united, Protestants, Catholics...it doesn't matter: for the sake of social justice and JFK and MLK were murdered because they were fighting for justice.

Few read entire books on leaders. The short version - paragraph in textbook - glance at statue - should show both sides I think.

You can't get nuanced and contextualised historical analysis onto a plaque.

Yes, I agree we learn from stories - accurate stories. We should each write our own story, not follow/copy the story of another. Another problem with hero/saint figures, the tendency to copy/follow/loyalty/dependence to another person rather than research, combine multiple examples (not loyal to any individual), and formulate individual ideas.

I don't think that is really accurate.

If people find someone admirable they don't necessarily aim to copy their 'story', How would you even go about copying Winston Churchill or MLK's stories?

At most people see them as a role model and aim to acquire similar principles or virtues

Plagiarism kills progress. Hero worship is form of plagiarism.
Responsible research combing multiple sources is needed. We should emphasize never relying on any single person, never rely on any single source.

While I don't agree that having heroes Plagiarism (i.e. stealing other people's ideas) is a major driver of progress in technology, culture, arts, etc.

People steal the ideas of others and adapt them a bit, that is the source of most creativity.

metis

aged ecumenical anthropologist
Obama may be the most loyal and faithful husband, the most perfect family man in the world...but that doesn't mean anything, because his policies were very bad and disastrous. And I think this person deserves nothing but scorn.
Most Americans did disagree with you on this, plus I have no doubt that if Michelle had run afterward, she would likely have on hands down.
I think MLK was a martyr and a hero. And deserves praise. And his sex life is absolutely irrelevant.
Well, I think it's relevant, but I don't think just one aspect of one's character should be used as an overall judgement.