• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

MLK

ImmortalFlame

Woke gremlin
So, we will know in 2027 when records are released, there are a few stories circulating about MLK

We need to face the whole truth about Martin Luther King, Jr.

The new MLK sculpture in Boston

https://www.washingtonpost.com/lifestyle/2023/01/15/mlk-statue-boston-backlash/

Some part of me thinks the artist knew a little something about MLK's past. Thoughts?
First link is unavailable outside US and the second link is behind a paywall. Is there any chance you could summarize?

idea

Question Everything
These links work (web archives work on most such things):

Article 1:archive.ph
Article 2: archive.ph

Thanks.

From first link

Mlk was an adulterer. (Quite a few articles on this, will let everyone do their own googling, it's well documented)

How many schoolchildren or even college students learn that Thomas Jefferson, who authored the Declaration of Independence, also fathered children with a woman he owned? How many know that Ben Franklin, a proud member of anti-slavery societies, owned slaves as well?

They should know those facts. They should also learn that Andrew Jackson deported Native Americans, that Theodore Roosevelt embraced eugenics, and that Franklin D. Roosevelt placed Japanese-Americans in internment camps.

The second link, new mlk sculpture that looks.. like someone being strong-armed down, it can be interpreted as sexual, is creating quite the stir.

Should we create sculptures, and remember people, for the good and bad, for all that they were?

ImmortalFlame

Woke gremlin
These links work (web archives work on most such things):

Article 1:archive.ph
Article 2: archive.ph
Claims that MLK was complacent and a participant in rampant sexual assault. The second article is criticism that the sculpture is aesthetically unappealing.
Thank you muchly!

Not sure if I can express too much of an opinion on the former - I'd have to hear more about the allegations. As to whether or not they are reflected in the statue... I dunno. Were his and his wife's arms a prominent feature in the alleged sexual assault?

The Kilted Heathen

Crow FreyjasmaðR
Not sure if I can express too much of an opinion on the former - I'd have to hear more about the allegations. As to whether or not they are reflected in the statue... I dunno. Were his and his wife's arms a prominent feature in the alleged sexual assault?
Briefly skimming the article there were a lot of "according to" and "allegedly", but very few actual sources. I don't put much stock in it, and it seems just a racially motivated jab coming up for MLK day and Black History Month. As to the relation to the statue, above the OP is going on about him being an adulterer, so any display of affection to his wife is hypocritical.

Mlk was an adulterer. (Quite a few articles on this, will let everyone do their own googling, it's well documented)
Provide some credible links on this, please.

Stevicus

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
So, we will know in 2027 when records are released, there are a few stories circulating about MLK

Some part of me thinks the artist knew a little something about MLK's past. Thoughts?

The sculpture was approved by the City of Boston. I was reading about it in another article this morning. Coretta Scott King's cousin, Seneca Scott, wrote a scathing essay about it.

‘Woke’ MLK ‘penis’ statue insults black community: Coretta Scott King kin (msn.com)

“When we recognize that all storytelling is an abstraction, all representation is an abstraction, hopefully it allows us to be open to more dynamic and complex forms of representation that don’t stick us to narrative that oversimplifies a person or their legacy, and I think this work really tries to get to the heart of that,” the artist says on his Web site.

But Seneca told The Post, “The woke algorithm is just broke, I don’t know what else to tell you.

“If you went through all of that and that’s what you came up with, something’s wrong,” he said.

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
Thank you muchly!

"According to Garrow, Martin Luther King, Jr. was present in a hotel room when his friend and fellow pastor Logan Kearse — who died in 1991 — raped a woman. A handwritten addition to the FBI’s typed spy reports said that King “looked on, laughed, and offered advice” during the assault."

According to the article there is more in the sealed FBI files on King. Those were part of an investigation with illegal wiretapping. Those will be opened in about four years.

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
Briefly skimming the article there were a lot of "according to" and "allegedly", but very few actual sources. I don't put much stock in it, and it seems just a racially motivated jab coming up for MLK day and Black History Month. As to the relation to the statue, above the OP is going on about him being an adulterer, so any display of affection to his wife is hypocritical.

The Daily M̶a̶i̶l̶ News ( :facepalm: how embarrassing) is highly rated by Media Bias Fact Check.

Last edited:

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member
First link is unavailable outside US and the second link is behind a paywall. Is there any chance you could summarize?

This ^^^

With my addition, that has got to be the smarmyest cop out ive ever seen on a us news site...

Unfortunately, our website is currently unavailable in your country. We are engaged on the issue and committed to looking at options that support our full range of digital offerings to your market. We continue to identify technical compliance solutions that will provide all readers with our award-winning journalism.

In other words, our articles don't meet the standards of honesty in journalism expected in European law so **** you.

vulcanlogician

Claims that MLK was complacent and a participant in rampant sexual assault.

It would be more accurate to say that the first article discusses claims that MLK was "complacent and a participant in rampant sexual assault." It also tries to persuade the reader that if evidence of these claims exists, it ought to be publicized.

We aren't privy to any of the evidence. All we have at this point are allegations. (Or, really, that the allegations exist.) In general I agree with the first article. But part of me hopes that there isn't anything too damning in the reports.

But it's rather hypocritical of me to possess that hope. The truth is what it is, and I should hope to learn it. I learned long ago not to idolize historical figures, but rather appreciate the good that they did. NOT treat them like a paragon. But someone who was such a powerful moral force in the world as King was, it sucks to see him tarnished, y'know?

ImmortalFlame

Woke gremlin
"According to Garrow, Martin Luther King, Jr. was present in a hotel room when his friend and fellow pastor Logan Kearse — who died in 1991 — raped a woman. A handwritten addition to the FBI’s typed spy reports said that King “looked on, laughed, and offered advice” during the assault."

According to the article there is more in the sealed FBI files on King. Those were part of an investigation with illegal wiretapping. Those will be opened in about four years.
It will be interesting reading. Wonder who will come out of it looking worse, MLK or the FBI?

exchemist

Veteran Member

At present this seems little more than innuendo.

It's not too surprising for this kind of story to be given another spin at the moment, when the US right is casting around for a post-Trump future. A spot of of (deniable) racism, and goading of the left by attacking one of its icons, could be just the ticket. In this case, A Murdoch tabloid uses the unveiling of a sculpture to resurrect a murky accusation, for no obvious reason. But lots of (white) readers will love it, of course.

However, that's not to say there can't be any truth in it. Almost all heroes turn out to have feet of clay.

vulcanlogician

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
Highly rated to the Right. "Overall, we rate Daily Mail Right Biased and Questionable due to numerous failed fact checks and poor information sourcing."

The article in question however is New York Daily News, which is rated well. The article still didn't cite sources, though, and leaned on allegations.
I am sorry. That was my error.

The Daily News, not the Daily Mail.

Once again, I screwed up because I know that the Daily Mail is not what I would call well rated.

idea

Question Everything

Google it - "was MLK adulterous?"