• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Mixing Philosophy and Christianity

opuntia

Religion is Law
The following excerpt is from the complete exposition located at http://www.iowatelecom.net/~hosea/index.html/_sgg/f10000.htm. The article exceeds RF's 10,000 character limit (16,000+). Click on the link to read the entire thread--the thread is mine.

Philosophy as a tool for reasoning has been a good, in that science and the other offshoots like medicine, mathematics and psychology have advanced the learning and technology of humankind.

The Greeks began the study of their world by observation. The record states that it began in the 6th century BC with Thales in Miletus on the Asia Minor. Bryan Magee, The Story of Philosophy (DK Publishers, Inc., 20010, p. 13. Magee states, "they were trying to understand the world by the use of their reason, without appealing to religion, or revelation, or authority, or tradition." Id., p. 12. "Rational thinking," he called it. Id. Philosophers by trade use their powers of reasoning to attempt to deduce or induce a matter in order to unlock its secrets.

Religion, by its very nature, relies upon more than the powers of reasoning, and that is why Paul the Apostle said thus:

A

angellous_evangellous

Although religion comes from myth-making, if it produces anything for humans to review, collect, and analyze, it will not be seperated from philosophy.

Maxist

Hmm, well I have to admit that in order to radify any of this, there would have to be a book of Jesus. He would have had to give His opinions on the entire thing. Otherwise we cannot be sure.

mr.guy

crapsack
maxist said:
Hmm, well I have to admit that in order to radify any of this, there would have to be a book of Jesus.
Not really. There doesn't even actually need to have been a Jesus to evaluate the merit (and participation) of christian based philosophy.