• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Mixing and Matching Religious Traditions

Do you incorporate more than one religious tradition into your life?

• Yes

Votes: 8 57.1%
  • No

Votes: 6 42.9%

• Total voters
Howdy.

I've noticed some folks on here seem to have multiple religious tags. I myself would say I have something which incorporates elements from a wide variety of traditions. Taoism, Hinduism, Buddhism, Sikhi to a certain extent even. I have found inspiration in Sufi traditions, Judaism, Paganism as well. Though If I was going to call myself anything at this point it would be a Hindu Taoist. That might sound weird but hey I am a weird cat after all.

Thinking about this got me wondering, how many people here combine various different religious traditions in their practice? What do you mix together? Do you take inspiration from multiple religions but only seriously practice one or do you have an eclectic practice?

If you don't mix is it something like you don't think you need to or does it feel wrong etc?

JustGeorge

Not As Much Fun As I Look
Staff member
Premium Member
I consider myself Hindu, as my theology matches Hinduism, and most of the God/desses I worship are Hindu. However, my roots are Pagan, and I honor them. There are a few non Hindu deities I worship, as well.

I don't feel any conflict in this.

Viker

Häxan
I consider myself pagan, a Diabolist/Diabolater, based in Wicca and Satanism. I don't have a name for my religion itself... don't see a point. I agree that I have mixed traditions. I see them converging into one.

Last edited:

Saint Frankenstein

Wanderer From Afar
Premium Member
Nope. I'm just a Christian. However, you might catch me wearing a Mjolnir, sunwheel or other European indigenous religious symbols
depending on my mood. That's more a nod to my love of Europe and my heritage, though.

I consider myself Hindu, as my theology matches Hinduism, and most of the God/desses I worship are Hindu. However, my roots are Pagan, and I honor them. There are a few non Hindu deities I worship, as well.

I don't feel any conflict in this.
Part of what I like about Hinduism is that it is very easy to incorporate a variety of traditions into one set of ideas. Just for my own curiosity sake which pagan gods do you worship? I have personally always had a strong attraction to Freya.

JustGeorge

Staff member
Premium Member
Part of what I like about Hinduism is that it is very easy to incorporate a variety of traditions into one set of ideas. Just for my own curiosity sake which pagan gods do you worship? I have personally always had a strong attraction to Freya.

There's a few I interact with at various times, but the one I feel I have a close personal relationship is Ares. I had a strong bond with him before I found Hinduism, and I felt no need to sever that for the sake of fitting into a mold.

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
I don't think mixing is an issue unless your fundamental or dogmatic.

Some religions like Christianity are fiercely exclusive, yet many adherents don't find one religion alone sufficient and complete anymore and incorporated other religions to fill in the gaps and missing pieces to suit.

It's a trend that far more noticeable now than it was in the past.

I don't think mixing is an issue unless your fundamental or dogmatic.

Some religions like Christianity are fiercely exclusive, yet many adherents don't find one religion alone sufficient and complete anymore and incorporated other religions to fill in the gaps and missing pieces to suit.

It's a trend that far more noticeable now than it was in the past.
I think one of the big positives that came with the information age is the connections to different parts of the world. I can only imagine how much harder it would of been to learn about Buddhism or Hinduism back then. I'd be a bag of bones before I could manage to learn all I have now. It's very fortunate!

I also think you are right in that most non dogmatic religions don't really care. We can see the mixing of Buddhism, Daoism and other eastern philosophies which play a part in Chinese life all the way up until now.

crossfire

LHP Mercuræn Feminist Heretic ☿
Premium Member
Value can be found in any teaching that leads to cultivating a lack of greed, hatred, and/or delusion.

Buddhism is my main religion. However, I will purposefully break the 5th precept on occasion in order for help guard against my developing a "holier than thou" attitude and help to keep my focus on the more important things.

Western occultism has many practices that are helpful in exploring ones psyche and in transforming greed, hatred, or delusion within ones mind. (A major goal within Buddhism.)

Pastafarianism is my political religion, and I will take it up as needed.

Feng shui is useful in keeping my space organized.

SalixIncendium

अग्निविलोवनन्दः
Staff member
Premium Member
I don't mix religious traditions, but I do incorporate philosophies from other traditions that integrate well into my worldview. An example that is the Toltec philosophy, which I incorporate quite liberally into my life.

mangalavara

सो ऽहम्
Premium Member
If you don't mix is it something like you don't think you need to or does it feel wrong etc?

I don't mix religious traditions, but I do incorporate philosophies from other traditions that integrate well into my worldview. An example that is the Toltec philosophy, which I incorporate quite liberally into my life.

I don't mix religious traditions because I am personally not inclined to be a syncretist.

Salix mentions incorporating 'philosophies from other traditions that integrate well' into his worldview. This reminds me that Hinduism in Bali, for example, integrates elements from the native Bali tradition. In both cases, syncretism is not happening, rather, different forms of Hinduism are being practiced. A Greek Hinduism, for instance, would be Hinduism with perhaps the Attic Calendar, unique Hindu festivals created by Greek Hindus, and the worship of nymphs.

mangalavara

सो ऽहम्
Premium Member
All religions are correct. I don't turn down religions. :)

Greetings, friend! I am the Founder-Savior of Nibiru's Screen Door, the fastest growing UFO rapture cult on Earth. For only $40 USD every month, everlasting salvation can be yours! If you join us within 24 hours, you'll receive a free nonstick pan in beige or cream! What do you say? :tongueout:

JustGeorge

Staff member
Premium Member
Greetings, friend! I am the Founder-Savior of Nibiru's Screen Door, the fastest growing UFO rapture cult on Earth. For only $40 USD every month, everlasting salvation can be yours! If you join us within 24 hours, you'll receive a free nonstick pan in beige or cream! What do you say? :tongueout:

You'd have possibly caught me until you said the pan was beige or cream... I've never had luck with beige or cream nonstick pans. They lose their nonstick after about ten uses...

syo

Cults have merit.