• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Mitt Romney Should Have Been President Eight Years Ago

Watchmen

Premium Member
Romney ran a terrible campaign in 2012. He flip flopped too much to appease the “base.” He should have just been himself. Maybe he would have won, and that would’ve meant no Trump.

Left Coast

This Is Water
Staff member
Premium Member
Romney ran a terrible campaign in 2012. He flip flopped too much to appease the “base.” He should have just been himself. Maybe he would have won, and that would’ve meant no Trump.

I was still a Republican in 2012, and voted for Romney in the primary. He's a good deal more respectable, intellectually and just as a person, than Trump, no doubt.

Ponder This

I honestly do not see what anyone likes about Mitt Romney, because flip-flop seems characterize how he acts. If there were an election today with Mitt Romney as a candidate, I would prefer not to vote at all, then to vote for Mitt Romney. So... I wonder what people see in him that they like.

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
I still would have preferred Carson.

I wish Colin Powell had run though. So many people would have loved to see him in office.

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
I honestly do not see what anyone likes about Mitt Romney, because flip-flop seems characterize how he acts. If there were an election today with Mitt Romney as a candidate, I would prefer not to vote at all, then to vote for Mitt Romney. So... I wonder what people see in him that they like.

Romney kind of reminds me of Bob Dole.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
Yeah. He stoop up to Trump. He deserves credit for that when so few would, but we have to keep things in perspective that Trump has been so horrendous and such an abysmal failure that he makes Bush Jr. like a bastion of reason, good policy, and down to Earth thinking. Amd yet he himself was so bad he got shoes thrown at him.

Daemon Sophic

How about 4 years ago. If he’d won in 2012, then we would have had a republican in the WH instead of Obama. That would have been bad.
Perhaps a more level-headed education of the average republican voters? That would have resulted in no Trump too.
Or less sensationalist bias to the news?
Or less Wall Street monies in politics?
Or less Wall Street monies in the media?
Or IQ tests, dementia tests, and a full set of psychological tests passed before eligibility as a candidate? I will vote for that. :cool:

Quetzal

A little to the left and slightly out of focus.
Premium Member
I still would have preferred Carson.

I wish Colin Powell had run though. So many people would have loved to see him in office.
I wouldn't have minded Carson, either. He would have been smart enough to get people around him to help navigate the politics since he lacked experience there (if I remember correctly).

epronovost

How about 4 years ago. If he’d won in 2012, then we would have had a republican in the WH instead of Obama. That would have been bad.
Perhaps a more level-headed education of the average republican voters? That would have resulted in no Trump too.
Or less sensationalist bias to the news?
Or less Wall Street monies in politics?
Or less Wall Street monies in the media?
Or IQ tests, dementia tests, and a full set of psychological tests passed before eligibility as a candidate? I will vote for that. :cool:

How about POTUS being elected by the popular vote instead of by a set of grand elector derived from outdated demographic data? That would have given you no George Bush (so no war in Iraq and no 2007-2008 financial crisis) and no Trump. See the US would be better if the US population was actually the one deciding who should be POTUS. You got to trust yourself a bit more.

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
How about POTUS being elected by the popular vote instead of by a set of grand elector derived from outdated demographic data? That would have given you no George Bush (so no war in Iraq and no 2007-2008 financial crisis) and no Trump. See the US would be better if the US population was actually the one deciding who should be POTUS. You got to trust yourself a bit more.
The 2007-2008 financial crisis can hardly be blamed on Bush. It was in the cards for quite some time since both parties abused banking to help manipulate their base. And it was not just the U.S.. As to the wars that is hard to say. We might not have gone to Iraq, but a lot of the rhetoric that was coming out from Clinton's White House was rather similar to Bush's.

But you are clearly right that a popular vote would have meant a Gore Presidency. I wonder how it would have gone. I do wish that we could fix one thing and that is to get rid of the Electoral College. Or at least enact method to get around it.

Watchmen

Premium Member
Not necessarily.

Watchmen

Premium Member
The 2007-2008 financial crisis can hardly be blamed on Bush. It was in the cards for quite some time since both parties abused banking to help manipulate their base. And it was not just the U.S.. As to the wars that is hard to say. We might not have gone to Iraq, but a lot of the rhetoric that was coming out from Clinton's White House was rather similar to Bush's.

But you are clearly right that a popular vote would have meant a Gore Presidency. I wonder how it would have gone. I do wish that we could fix one thing and that is to get rid of the Electoral College. Or at least enact method to get around it.
Not necessarily.

Alea iacta est

Pretend that I wrote something cool.
Romney has never been my favorite but I did some minor campaignings for him when I lived in Utah 2012 at a local GOP office there. But I definitely prefer him before Obama. I was at the GOP election night party in Salt Lake City then. I'm sure that if Romney had won back then Trump would most likely never had become a president candidate even.