• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

mitochondrial genetic markers used for Primate descendency chart

tas8831

Came across this paper using complete mitochondrial genomes and all of the markers contained therein to assess Primate evolution.

A Mitogenomic Phylogeny of Living Primates
July 16, 2013

From the results and discussion:

We produced complete mt genome sequences from 32 primate individuals. From each individual, we obtained an average of 1508 tagged reads with an average length of 235 bp, yielding approximately 356 kb of sequence data corresponding to 21-fold coverage. All newly sequenced mt genomes had lengths typical for primates (16,280–16,936 bp; Table S1), but the GC-content varied largely among taxa (37.78–46.32%, Table S2, Figure S1). All newly generated mt genomes consisted of 22 tRNA genes, 2 rRNA genes, 13 protein-coding genes and the control region in the order typical for mammals. By combining the 32 newly generated data with 51 additional primate mt genomes, the dataset represents all 16 primate families, 57 of the 78 recognized genera and 78 of the 480 currently recognized species [31].​

They used 81 complete mitochondrial genomes from primates representing all 16 families. The descriptions of the genomic content represent all of the markers that one could hope for. "The mtDNA provides clear evidence of the descendancy..." The use of these markers allow for the tracing of the ancestry of all of the primate taxa used, as shown in this genetically evidenced descendency chart, and "You can see from the following chart, where they mapped the genome sequence, & followed the trail of the mtDNA":

journal.pone.0069504.g001.png

Note that this includes humans, Neanderthals, etc. "And btw, this phylogenetic tree has evidence to support it. The genetic lines can be traced, not just presumed."

The type of data used and the means of analysis employed have been pre-approved by creationist genetics experts, so there is no denying the shared ancestry of human, chimps and other primates are demonstrated in this genetically evidenced descendency chart.

Dan From Smithville

What we've got here is failure to communicate.
Staff member
Premium Member
How can this be twisted into false claims that it is a snarky ad hominem attack?

I shouldn't worry. I bet that devious minds are hard at work on ways to deflect addressing this and make it all about them and their personal views.

tas8831

How can this be twisted into false claims that it is a snarky ad hominem attack?
'In their own words'....
I shouldn't worry. I bet that devious minds are hard at work on ways to deflect addressing this and make it all about them and their personal views.

It will be ignored or dismissed. Doesn't matter - the 'lurkers' see the facts.

Ellen Brown

There is the premise that the ancestors of Ahura Mazda came in Space Ships and tampered with the life here on earth and bred Homo Sapiens eventually. I think they got frustrated by the product that was a very intelligent and lethal predator, and perhaps wiped them out? The movie "2001" details this somewhat.

Dan From Smithville

What we've got here is failure to communicate.
Staff member
Premium Member
There is the premise that the ancestors of Ahura Mazda came in Space Ships and tampered with the life here on earth and bred Homo Sapiens eventually. I think they got frustrated by the product that was a very intelligent and lethal predator, and perhaps wiped them out? The movie "2001" details this somewhat.
I am sorely lacking in my knowledge of other belief systems. I had to look up Ahura Mazda. I know nothing of Zoroastrianism other than that it exists.

It has been a while since I have seen "2001".

The problem with any belief is that it is based on faith and has limited or no evidence. From a scientific perspective, at this point, there is no evidence to rule out the seeding of life on this planet by natural processes, accident or intent, but there is nothing to support it either.