• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Mistletoebird

John53

I go leaps and bounds
Premium Member
A male Mistletoebird I photographed a couple of days ago not far from my house. A very interesting bird, they feed almost exclusively on Mistletoe and spread it by depositing the seeds on branches in their droppings. Apparently it's not a true symbiotic relationship because even though Mistletoebirds need Mistletoe to survive, Mistletoe will be fine without the birds as it is also spread by other frugivores.

DSCN9839.JPG

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member
It's My Birthday!
A male Mistletoebird I photographed a couple of days ago not far from my house. A very interesting bird, they feed almost exclusively on Mistletoe and spread it by depositing the seeds on branches in their droppings. Apparently it's not a true symbiotic relationship because even though Mistletoebirds need Mistletoe to survive, Mistletoe will be fine without the birds as it is also spread by other frugivores.

View attachment 56217

That is a beautiful bird

exchemist

Veteran Member

View attachment 56217
What a pretty bird!

In Europe, mistletoe is spread by rather duller birds, such as the mistle thrush:

004452-Mistle-Thrush-Peter-Howlett-1612959.jpg