• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Missouri teacher who displayed Pride Flag resigns after parent complains

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
I never said the pledge....at least, never as written.
Pledging a flag & their God...ridiculous & offensive.
I never got in trouble for this. Likely cuz no one
really cared much about the pledge. It was just a
perfunctory ritual, eh.
When I was in elementary school we had to say it daily. Then once in high school after 9/11 there was a weird cultish-like doing it, just the once, and we had to go along with it (we even had to go along with the homecoming spirit rally garbage).
People in that crap state place way too much value and emphasis on these silly rituals.

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
Even a regular sized flag, that's a very low bar for activism. Myself, I don't even consider displaying a flag to be activism because it's not actually doing anything.
A regular flag is too much of a distraction. Imagine a Christian flag in place.

I think you get the gist as to why its opposed.

Provided that was the case.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
When I was in elementary school we had to say it daily. Then once in high school after 9/11 there was a weird cultish-like doing it, just the once, and we had to go along with it (we even had to go along with the homecoming spirit rally garbage).
People in that crap state place way too much value and emphasis on these silly rituals.
Life in a world dominated by neurotypicals poses its difficulties.

Evangelicalhumanist

"Truth" isn't a thing...
Premium Member
From the article:

When Wallis was called in to meet with school administrators, he was told that a parent called the school, concerned that Wallis "would potentially teach their child to be gay," NBC News reported. The administrators, one of whom compared the pride flag to a confederate flag, according to NBC, told Wallis to remove the flag and signs. He did.

Yes, we all know the ever present danger of teaching children to be gay. I am sure that if no one taught them that they could never figure it out for themselves.
I know for a certainty nobody could ever have "taught" me to be straight. Why on earth would I assume you could teach somebody to be gay?

One really wants to say to America "Grow Up."

Stevicus

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
That tends to not go over well here. Like the ability of a parent to deny needed medical treatment a child needs. The parents pray instead and the child needlessly suffers and dies. Parents having too much authority is why my shins are still bowed because my mom refused to let me get corrective surgery as a child. And ultimately in America it's a small minority of parents who discuss sex and sexuality with their children, or they demand abstinence only programs that teach condoms don't work and compare the vagina to a piece of scotch tape and chewing gum.

I'm also not a big fan of parents having that much authority over their children. There's the idea that the law assumes that a parent knows what's best for their children, but I don't think that's true in every case. It certainly wasn't the case with my parents either.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
I'm also not a big fan of parents having that much authority over their children. There's the idea that the law assumes that a parent knows what's best for their children, but I don't think that's true in every case. It certainly wasn't the case with my parents either.
It's definitely rife with examples of it being disastrous for children. Because often the parent is doing what is desired by the parent and is forcing it upon a child.

Kangaroo Feathers

Yea, it is written in the Book of Cyril...
I know for a certainty nobody could ever have "taught" me to be straight. Why on earth would I assume you could teach somebody to be gay?

One really wants to say to America "Grow Up."
Reverse case here. I am straight, and I can't imagine anyone teaching me to be gay, no matter how many rainbow flags they have.

My suspicion is this is a concern only of people who are extremely insecure about their sexuality.

Sand Dancer

Crazy Cat Lady
From the article:

When Wallis was called in to meet with school administrators, he was told that a parent called the school, concerned that Wallis "would potentially teach their child to be gay," NBC News reported. The administrators, one of whom compared the pride flag to a confederate flag, according to NBC, told Wallis to remove the flag and signs. He did.

Yes, we all know the ever present danger of teaching children to be gay. I am sure that if no one taught them that they could never figure it out for themselves.

These ignorant folks actually think that you learn to be gay. This crap is why we lag so far behind the other first world nations.

Stevicus

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
Teacher Takes Down American Flag In Classroom, Says It Represents ‘Violence And Menace And Intolerance’ (msn.com)

Portland-area teacher Gail Grobey removed the American flag from her classroom, claiming it represents “violence and menace and intolerance,” Fox News reported Wednesday.

Grobey removed the American flag as a protest against her school district’s ban of “political imagery” in classrooms, which includes LGBT and Black Lives Matter symbols, according to Fox News. Grobey also said the American flag was “the most political symbol there is,” and seemed to question if it should be banned as well, Fox News reported.

“I know my kids, and I know what’s best for them and what to do to help them feel comfortable. I took the American flag down in my classroom because that’s the most political symbol there is. When I see Trevor DeHart sitting there at those board meetings with that giant American flag behind him, it’s terrifying. That symbol doesn’t stand for freedom or justice or equality anymore. It stands for violence and menace and intolerance, and I will not fly that in my room,” Grobey said, according to The Newberg Graphic.

Grobey also questioned if government classes are political, and argued that there could be no “civil discourse” on “anything” under this new rule, according to The Newberg Graphic. “You throw in this other thing where Big Brother wants to control what we support or what we talk about. Are we going to cancel government classes? That is deeply political. What does civics mean? We can’t have civil discourse on anything under this policy language, and it’s frankly ridiculous,” Grobey reportedly said.

A teacher in California was previously caught encouraging children to pledge allegiance to the pride flag instead of the American flag, as previously reported. Yet another California teacher was fired for attempting to turn his students into “revolutionaries.”