1. Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Missouri conservative group confronts student senator as he takes down and throws away flags from 9/

Discussion in 'North American Politics' started by Stevicus, Sep 12, 2021.

1. Kangaroo Feathers

Kangaroo Feathers Yea, it is written in the Book of Cyril...

Ratings:
    +8,676
    Religion:
    Catholic
    Ah yes, because only Americans are patriotic or understand flags.

2. Subduction Zone

Subduction Zone Veteran Member

Ratings:
    +27,943
    Religion:
    Atheist
    There is not enough detail in the article of the OP to say. The flag code is not law. It is merely a resource for people that want to treat the flag respectfully. And many that respect the flag do not follow it one hundred percent. Now I need to remember to snoop on a neighbor's flag. I know he does not take it down at night (there is a Trump flag flying below his US flag). And I am not sure if he has a light on it. At any rate, I do support legal protest, this does not appear to be such a case. And I doubt if the perpetrator will act properly if found guilty and is sentenced in some way. If he pisses and moans this was not an act of civil disobedience. Instead it would show it to be the act of a spoiled child.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Subduction Zone

Ratings:
    +27,943
    Religion:
    Atheist
    Dern tootin!! Whars ma beer?!

4. Kangaroo Feathers

Kangaroo Feathers Yea, it is written in the Book of Cyril...

Ratings:
    +8,676
    Religion:
    Catholic
    I do know the flag code isn't a law, yet I do find the people most loudly whining about "disrespecting the flag" are usually the worst at following the code which, as you said, literally describes how to respect it.

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  5. Shadow Wolf

Shadow Wolf Rival's Wife

Ratings:
    +33,090
    Religion:
    God is in the Rain
    That is also most definitely the case here. Like how we're not supposed to wear it as clothing, but flag clothing is very popular.

6. Stevicus

Stevicus Veteran Member
    Premium Member

Ratings:
    +14,646
    Religion:
    Agnostic
    Yes, here is some patriotic apparel.

[​IMG]

#106 Stevicus, Sep 14, 2021
    Last edited: Sep 14, 2021
    • Like Like x 1
  7. Shadow Wolf

Shadow Wolf Rival's Wife

Ratings:
    +33,090
    Religion:
    God is in the Rain
    Even though that is technically flag desecration.:facepalm:
    They want others to be a hardened, 1000% pro-America patriot, but they can't even take it seriously themselves.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Stevicus

Stevicus Veteran Member
    Premium Member

Ratings:
    +14,646
    Religion:
    Agnostic
    Yeah, I know, especially with bathing suits, where it can get wedged into one's rear end. That's some pretty serious desecration.

• Funny Funny x 2
  9. Revoltingest

Revoltingest Abnormal before it was fashionable
    Premium Member

Ratings:
    +70,343
    Religion:
    Atheist
    I keep a little Ameristanian flag inside Mr Van.
    Just in case he's ever searched by a cop.
    (I'd require a search warrant.)

10. Kooky

Kooky Freedom from Sanity

Ratings:
    +1,975
    Foreshadowing corporate control of modern society one-and-a-half centuries in advance, I'm impressed!

I'll make an exception for patriotic swimsuits and lingerie worn by attractive members of any gender.

#110 Kooky, Sep 15, 2021
    Last edited: Sep 15, 2021
  11. 9-10ths_Penguin

9-10ths_Penguin 1/10 Subway Stalinist
    Premium Member

Ratings:
    +19,572
    Religion:
    None (atheist)
    Expressing one's own nationalism does not necessarily mean "trying to turn everyone into nationalists."

It's not a matter of questioning motives. We don't have to assume that they're doing anything ulterior to recognize that a national flag is a symbol that represents the nation. Making a national symbol like that an integral part of some sort of commemoration draws a symbolic link between the thing being commemorated and the nation.

I would guess that in this case, the symbolism was meant to express something like "9/11 was an attack on the nation, not just the ~3,000 people who died."

... which was the casus belli for the Afghan War and (sorta) the Iraq War.

... which points to why someone who opposed either war would take issue with the display.

Personally, the thing I find offensive is that each person who died isn't represented by something that's unique to them - their name or photo, for instance - but by a generic flag that's indistinguishable from and interchangeable with ~3,000 other flags. The display could be taken as disregarding the individuality of the people killed and instead representing them as anonymous units of "America" (even though nearly 400 of the 9/11 victims weren't even American).

• Like Like x 1
  12. 9-10ths_Penguin

Premium Member

Ratings:
    +19,572
    Religion:
    None (atheist)
    No, it is a law. It's a section of the US Code, which is the compendium of the USA's federal laws.

It's just that it doesn't provide for any penalties - except in DC (but I don't believe this is really enforced) - for violating it.

So while you won't go to jail for violating the Flag Code, violating it is technically illegal.

• Informative Informative x 1
  13. Stevicus

Stevicus Veteran Member
    Premium Member

Ratings:
    +14,646
    Religion:
    Agnostic
    I agree, although I was addressing your point that the presence of the flag itself represents an appeal to nationalism.

You make some good points. However, I'm not sure how much the flag, in and of itself, plays a role in that. When we're talking about the Afghan War, the Iraq War, or the overall "War on Terror" that Bush declared shortly after 9/11, then we're not so much talking about the flag as much as it's about political rhetoric and the official statements made by our government.

I've noticed a lot of flag-wavers who love the flag and what they might consider "Americanism" or the American ideal, yet they simultaneously have a distinct anti-government bent, some even to the point of being accusatory and conspiratorial. Many have suggested that 9/11 might have been a setup by the government to rile up the masses into going to war.

But most people ostensibly believed the official story, and that being the case, they trusted the government's plan of action to bring about justice, which, as you point out, became the casus belli for the War on Terror, including wars in Afghanistan and Iraq. To me, that's typical US government geopolitical thinking, which isn't necessarily patriotism or nationalism. A lot of people have tried to make it such and associate the two, which is how concepts of patriotism became all the more surreal and vicarious.

But I didn't see any indication of that regarding this display. I don't mean to sound flippant, but this was more of a "Christmas decoration" than anything else. Some people get upset because they think it despoils the "true meaning of Christmas."

14. 9-10ths_Penguin

Premium Member

Ratings:
    +19,572
    Religion:
    None (atheist)
    I said "link," not "appeal."

Yes: the flag represents the nation. What "the nation" represents will vary depending on who you asked.

(Though it's worth recognizing that this particular display was the work of the campus Republican student club)

Sure, but this is one example of what's now a 20-year tradition of slapping the flag on memorials of 9/11 in support of the "war on terror." I don't think this context should be ignored.

I doubt that there was a conscious effort to anonymize the victims, but I do think it's telling that out of all the things about the victims that they could emphasize or acknowledge, the only thing the organizers decided to acknowledge was the victims' "American-ness."

This is quite likely the result of implicit bias rather than conscious thought.

15. Augustus

Augustus the Unreasonable

Ratings:
    +11,594
    Religion:
    none
    Those commies are rubbing their arses on the flag :mad:

If they don't respect the flag, they should get the hell out of America!!!!!!

• Funny Funny x 2
  16. Subduction Zone

Ratings:
    +27,943
    Religion:
    Atheist
    Only the guy. The girls suits are too tight for much in the way of rubbing. God Bless America!!:D

17. Kooky

Ratings:
    +1,975
    They certainly seem to be the only people on Earth with such degree of quasi-religious attachment to it.

18. Kooky

Ratings:
    +1,975
    You realize that you are disparaging other countries' flags here for no reason but your own ignorance, do you?

• Like Like x 1