• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Missouri conservative group confronts student senator as he takes down and throws away flags from 9/

Stevicus

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
There's a Flag Code? Blimey...

Yeah, my dad taught me about the Flag Code when I was a kid. I come from a long line of flag-wavers.

For many years after 9/11, my dad displayed a U.S. flag in front of his house, as did every house on his street. Any house that didn't have a flag stood out like a sore thumb.

Deo Vindice

I still don’t really care since unlike Americans I don’t worship my own flag. (Just an observation, I mean no offence.)
We revere our flag (worship is reserved for God) because it actually stands for something, and because people fought and died defending what it stands for. I don't expect most foreigners to understand or do the same because not all flags are due such reverence.

SomeRandom

Still learning to be wise
Staff member
Premium Member
Yeah, my dad taught me about the Flag Code when I was a kid. I come from a long line of flag-wavers.

For many years after 9/11, my dad displayed a U.S. flag in front of his house, as did every house on his street. Any house that didn't have a flag stood out like a sore thumb.
Hmm so 9/11 kicked off a wave of ultra patriotism? I’m not really old enough to know much about 9/11 other than the world was shook and my country readily answered the call for ally support. It was a horrible tragedy of course.

SomeRandom

Staff member
Premium Member
We revere our flag (worship is reserved for God) because it actually stands for something, and because people fought and died defending what it stands for. I don't expect most foreigners to understand or do the same because not all flags are due such reverence.
Ehh, there’s patriotic reverence for one’s flag and then there’s American reverence for the flag. Again I mean no offence. Just an observation. And my flag stands for lots of things. Different things to different people even. Things that people are willing to die for and even protest. That is their right. But we don’t slavishly worship it, we learn from it

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member

Most countries have had wars, revolutions, and lots of bloody death so yes "foreigners" do understand, they just don't care and prefer to learn from the past, not revere it.

RestlessSoul

People have been killing and dying for flags since the middle ages. The flags all stand for the same thing, and always have; the interests of the rich and powerful, for whom the poor are recruited to die.

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
Hmm so 9/11 kicked off a wave of ultra patriotism? I’m not really old enough to know much about 9/11 other than the world was shook and my country readily answered the call for ally support. It was a horrible tragedy of course.
It was a highly emotional event. As a result many are going to see a similarly between this and desecrating a holocaust memorial.

SomeRandom

Staff member
Premium Member
It was a highly emotional event. As a result many are going to see a similarly between this and desecrating a holocaust memorial.
I mean I can understand. This was a senseless act of destruction which cost people their lives.
People lost their loved ones. Emotions will run high.
I say this as an outsider and again I do not mean any offence when I say this, it’s just what I’ve observed.
America basically used this admittedly awful event to rope us into killing ourselves. We entered a war as your allies for 20 years and accomplished what exactly? Taliban took over, we arguably made things worse for the Middle East and I’d wager at least some people are adamant that America was more in it for the promise of oil than anything else (not that I believe in any 9/11 conspiracies, just for the record.)

Last edited:

Stevicus

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member

Well, the patriotism was always there, even before 9/11. There's a long history behind it, particularly during WW2 and the onset of the Cold War, when my dad was a teenager. There was a sense of danger to the Republic, and there was a strong sentiment that patriotism and loyalty were a matter of national survival.

Saint Frankenstein

Wanderer From Afar
Premium Member
A thread about flags for a 9/11 memorial being thrown away turns into flag bashing and America bashing. Nice, RF. Just nice. Death to America, right? :rolleyes:

SomeRandom

Staff member
Premium Member
Well, the patriotism was always there, even before 9/11. There's a long history behind it, particularly during WW2 and the onset of the Cold War, when my dad was a teenager. There was a sense of danger to the Republic, and there was a strong sentiment that patriotism and loyalty were a matter of national survival.
Interesting. I think WWII kind of did the same for us, in terms of heightening patriotism. WWI moreso arguably, since that is where our “identity was forged” so to speak
But that’s since died away somewhat.
American jingoism does seem rather extreme from the outside looking in, if you don’t mind my saying so

Stevicus

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
Yes i know, i just find the indignant protests when a muslin burns a flag in protest rather amusing.

Yeah. I think it was pretty much the same during the 60s when anti-war protesters burned flags. People got pretty incensed about it. Some jurisdictions made it illegal, but at some point (I don't recall when) the Supreme Court ruled that flag burning was protected free speech. I think Reagan wanted a Constitutional Amendment to ban flag burning, which got some support.

With all these right-wing state legislatures doing all kinds of crazy things, I'm surprised they haven't revived that idea.