• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Missing parts of the Jesus' life

Kriya Yogi

Dharma and Love for God
I've heard from bible readers that there are missing parts of Jesus' life in the bible. I believe it is said that he was a kid and then it jumps from that to when he is an adult. Is it shown that he is only performing miracles, talking truths and gathering disciples when he is older?

If so what do you think happened in those missing years?

If so why was it not in the bible? Was it possibly cut from the bible by the church?

Last edited:

JP of PA

I've heard from bible readers that there are missing parts of the Jesus' life in the bible. I believe it is said that he was a kid and then it jumps from that to when he is an adult. Is it shown that he is only performing miracles, talking truths and gathering disciples when he is older?

If so why was it not in the bible? Was it possibly cut from the bible by the church?

Pretty much everything is missing in between His birth and the time of the beginning of His ministry.

The gospel of Luke does make mention of one event during His adolesence:

Luke 2
42When he was twelve years old, they went up to the Feast, according to the custom. 43After the Feast was over, while his parents were returning home, the boy Jesus stayed behind in Jerusalem, but they were unaware of it. 44Thinking he was in their company, they traveled on for a day. Then they began looking for him among their relatives and friends. 45When they did not find him, they went back to Jerusalem to look for him. 46After three days they found him in the temple courts, sitting among the teachers, listening to them and asking them questions. 47Everyone who heard him was amazed at his understanding and his answers. 48When his parents saw him, they were astonished. His mother said to him, "Son, why have you treated us like this? Your father and I have been anxiously searching for you."

49"Why were you searching for me?" he asked. "Didn't you know I had to be in my Father's house?" 50But they did not understand what he was saying to them.
51Then he went down to Nazareth with them and was obedient to them. But his mother treasured all these things in her heart. 52And Jesus grew in wisdom and stature, and in favor with God and men.

Now interestingly, verse 52 is the last verse of Luke chapter 2, and beginning with chapter 3, Luke skips any and all events in the life of Yahshua up until the time that John the Baptizer was preparing the way immediately preceeding Yahshua's public ministry.

The important question that you ask - why is there, for the most part, no record of the events in Yahshua's life that took place during His formative, adolecsent, and young adult years? After all, most certainly the things that took place in His life would have all contributed to making Him the man that He was at the time of His ministry. Many Christians insist that "if it's not in the bible, then God didn't consider it important enough for us to concern ourselves with." Such a narrow minded viewpoint, however, is completely the OPPOSITE of Truth.

The scriptures instruct us to "walk as Christ walked." But how are we supposed to do this without knowing what He did in order to reach the elevated level of righteousness that He reached; that is, the level in which the Eternal God could say to Him "You have become my Son. With you I am well pleased." These are the words that were spoken of Yahshua at the time John babtized Him, which did not happen until Yahshua had lived the majority of His shortened life.

Again, that would be like telling a young child to become a great professional football player without giving him any instruction on how to play the game during his growing years.

So again, why are these important years skipped altogether in the bible? Is it because God doesn't want us to know about the life events of Yahshua that led Him to become the man He was as an adult? Or is it because He wants us to seek out the answers?

There are works out there that propose ideas of Yahshua's life journeys and experiences that led up to the beginning of His ministry, the Aquarian Gospel of Jesus the Christ being one of them.

dogsgod

There are no missing parts, it's just a story. The gospels are a rewrite of the Moses story. The birth story of Moses tells us he is divine and sets the plot, then the story picks up with him as an adult, same for Jesus. The Jesus story details are added and embellished upon by later gospels writers. The New Testament is of a new covenant between God and man delivered to us by Jesus. Moses brought us the old covenant.

Kriya Yogi

Dharma and Love for God
Pretty much everything is missing in between His birth and the time of the beginning of His ministry.

The gospel of Luke does make mention of one event during His adolesence:

Luke 2
42When he was twelve years old, they went up to the Feast, according to the custom. 43After the Feast was over, while his parents were returning home, the boy Jesus stayed behind in Jerusalem, but they were unaware of it. 44Thinking he was in their company, they traveled on for a day. Then they began looking for him among their relatives and friends. 45When they did not find him, they went back to Jerusalem to look for him. 46After three days they found him in the temple courts, sitting among the teachers, listening to them and asking them questions. 47Everyone who heard him was amazed at his understanding and his answers. 48When his parents saw him, they were astonished. His mother said to him, "Son, why have you treated us like this? Your father and I have been anxiously searching for you."

49"Why were you searching for me?" he asked. "Didn't you know I had to be in my Father's house?" 50But they did not understand what he was saying to them.
51Then he went down to Nazareth with them and was obedient to them. But his mother treasured all these things in her heart. 52And Jesus grew in wisdom and stature, and in favor with God and men.

Now interestingly, verse 52 is the last verse of Luke chapter 2, and beginning with chapter 3, Luke skips any and all events in the life of Yahshua up until the time that John the Baptizer was preparing the way immediately preceeding Yahshua's public ministry.

The important question that you ask - why is there, for the most part, no record of the events in Yahshua's life that took place during His formative, adolecsent, and young adult years? After all, most certainly the things that took place in His life would have all contributed to making Him the man that He was at the time of His ministry. Many Christians insist that "if it's not in the bible, then God didn't consider it important enough for us to concern ourselves with." Such a narrow minded viewpoint, however, is completely the OPPOSITE of Truth.

The scriptures instruct us to "walk as Christ walked." But how are we supposed to do this without knowing what He did in order to reach the elevated level of righteousness that He reached; that is, the level in which the Eternal God could say to Him "You have become my Son. With you I am well pleased." These are the words that were spoken of Yahshua at the time John babtized Him, which did not happen until Yahshua had lived the majority of His shortened life.

Again, that would be like telling a young child to become a great professional football player without giving him any instruction on how to play the game during his growing years.

So again, why are these important years skipped altogether in the bible? Is it because God doesn't want us to know about the life events of Yahshua that led Him to become the man He was as an adult? Or is it because He wants us to seek out the answers?

There are works out there that propose ideas of Yahshua's life journeys and experiences that led up to the beginning of His ministry, the Aquarian Gospel of Jesus the Christ being one of them.

Thank you this was very helpful! I have my own personal beliefs on what could have happened in those years. I think he had to go inside through meditation or a given a revelation of God within by his Guru. I believe John the babtist was his Guru and helped him to remember his enlightened state of being. I also believe that it might not have been written because noone was there to witness and write all his actions down at the time. Jesus might not have taken the time to make sure his life story was all written down. Or it was there and man rewrote it because they didn't like the way he reached that enlightened state.

My Guru Paramahansa Yogananda has said to have visions and know that Jesus was real of course and does look like he does in most pictures. He's also said that the Guru given meditation technique of Kriya Yoga was what was his Guru John the babtist gave to Jesus to realize God within himself in a previous life. Its also the technique Jesus gave to his disciples. I believe in that present life he was spiritually trained by the three wise men in india. It is actually documented that Jesus was seen in India while growing up. Just my belief but based on my experience and the stories I know about Kriya it would make sense. I mean he wouldn't be asking questions as a young child in a church if he already knew all the answers. He had to have realized truth in some way.

Last edited:

JP of PA

Thank you this was very helpful! I have my own personal beliefs on what could have happened in those years. I think he had to go inside through meditation or a given a revelation of God within by his Guru. I believe John the babtist was his Guru and helped him to remember his enlightened state of being. I also believe that it might not have been written because noone was there to witness and write all his actions down at the time. Jesus might not have taken the time to make sure his life story was all written down. Or it was there and man rewrote it because they didn't like the way he reached that enlightened state.

My Guru Paramahansa Yogananda has said to have visions and know that Jesus was real of course and does look like he does in most pictures. He's also said that the Guru given meditation technique of Kriya Yoga was what was his Guru John the babtist gave to Jesus to realize God within himself in a previous life. Its also the technique Jesus gave to his disciples. I believe in that present life he was spiritually trained by the three wise men in india. It is actually documented that Jesus was seen in India while growing up. Just my belief but based on my experience and the stories I know about Kriya it would make sense. I mean he wouldn't be asking questions as a young child in a church if he already knew all the answers. He had to have realized truth in some way.

Yes, being a human, born as an infant, I'm sure He probably fussed when He was tired, got cranky or difficult at times as a baby, went through His "terrible two's," etc.

I agree that He definitely had a process to go through. Scripture actually does indicate this in a few places.

Isaiah 7:14-15:
"Behold, a young woman shall conceive and bear a son, and shall call his name Immanuel. He shall eat curds and honey when he knows how to refuse the evil and choose the good."

Hebrews 2
10In bringing many sons to glory, it was fitting that God, for whom and through whom everything exists, should make the author of their salvation perfect through suffering.

Hebrews 5
8Although he was a son, he learned obedience from what he suffered 9and, once made perfect, he became the source of eternal salvation for all who obey him

Luke 2
52And Jesus grew in wisdom and stature, and in favor with God and men.

Caladan

Agnostic Pantheist
Jesus was trained by Indian gurus in India, than he took on his ship and sailed to North America, he was also trained in Tibet, and on his way back from North America where he studied with the Hopi tribe he passed through the British isles and befriended some Druids.

As obviously myths about turning water into wine and bringing back people to life are not enough, I hope that's exciting enough. :rolleyes:

fallingblood

Agnostic Theist
I've heard from bible readers that there are missing parts of Jesus' life in the bible. I believe it is said that he was a kid and then it jumps from that to when he is an adult. Is it shown that he is only performing miracles, talking truths and gathering disciples when he is older?

From a scholarly perspective, everything we know about Jesus before his ministry is most likely fiction. They are stories created, like the stories created of the birth of other important figures such as Alexander the Great and Augustus, because it was thought that someone who had an important life also had to have had an important birth. What we see in the infancy narratives of Jesus is the same things we see in the infancy narratives of many others. When taken into context and compared with those others, it becomes quite clear that they are not factual.

Looking at ancient biographies or the like, we see that they generally start with the time of ones life that is deemed important. For Jesus, that is the beginning of his ministry. In a society that literacy was quite low and reserved for the elite, there wasn't much documentation of people's earlier lives. So it is of no surprise no one records the early life of Jesus.

Now there are many theories as to what happened in those early years. There is an Infancy Gospel of Thomas that speaks of Jesus as a little boy. It is not considered factual, but it was what some early Christians believed. There is also the idea that Jesus traveled to Britain with who some claim to be his uncle, Joseph of Arimathea, but again, any evidence supporting that idea is not very credible. The other common idea is that Jesus traveled to India and learned from the teachers there. As Elaine Pagels points out, it is possible, but not likely. We can't prove that it didn't happen, but the evidence supporting the idea simply is lacking.

Most likely, Jesus worked as a tekton, his father's trade. He probably spent considerable time in or around Sepphoris, as that was a major city quite close to his own home village. He possibly was introduced to some eastern ideas there, but we can't know for sure. He may have even learned some Greek, but again, we can't know for sure. What is most likely though is that he worked in his younger years to help supply for his family.

fallingblood

Agnostic Theist
There are no missing parts, it's just a story. The gospels are a rewrite of the Moses story. The birth story of Moses tells us he is divine and sets the plot, then the story picks up with him as an adult, same for Jesus. The Jesus story details are added and embellished upon by later gospels writers. The New Testament is of a new covenant between God and man delivered to us by Jesus. Moses brought us the old covenant.
First, the New Testament, whether or not it is a new covenant between God and man, really means little. Jesus plays an integral part only in the Gospels. No where does it ever say that Jesus taught or suggested that he was issuing in a new covenant. He actually states nearly the opposite. We are told that he was not here to abolish the law. We are told that he taught his followers to obey the laws even more than the pious Jews. So whether or not the New Testament later states anything about a new covenant is moot here as Jesus never states, suggests, or tries to order it in.

More so, you may be able to make a case that the infancy narrative in Matthew is based on Moses (to a point), but to state all of the Gospels are based on Moses simply is illogical and not supported. In Mark, the first of the Gospels that we have, there is no real parallel to Moses. Matthew adds some, but there is no suggestion that Luke added on to those, or even used Matthew at all. And John, for the most part, is independent.

The research and facts simply don't support what you are saying.

xkatz

I actually think there's a good bet he went to India, after all, a lot his teaching closely reflect those of Buddhism and perhaps Jainism IMO (but then again, it could be cultural diffusion).

DallasApple

Depends Upon My Mood..
I actually think there's a good bet he went to India, after all, a lot his teaching closely reflect those of Buddhism and perhaps Jainism IMO (but then again, it could be cultural diffusion).

I thought Buddhism came first???\\\

Love

Dalllas

Kriya Yogi

Dharma and Love for God
You guys should look up Kriya Yoga. My Guru and many other India Masters have said that Jesus followed the path of Kriya Yoga. He taught this meditation technique and way of life to his disciples after he revived his God realization.

Wannabe Yogi

Two Independent sources one a Russian doctor Nicolas Notovitch and the other Indian found a text in a Tibetan Buddhist monastery in the early 20th century. Both translated the text. This manuscript says that Jesus went to India and studied with the Buddhists and Hindu's then went back to teach the Jews. Later on the chinese communists destroyed the monastery. So there is no way to check up to see this manuscript is real or when it was made. It's a great story but who knows if it is real. There has been much said about the reliability of using Nicolas Notovitch as a good source. The Indian Swami had a very good reputation at one point he was even offered the chair of Oriental philosophy at one of the Ivy League colleges. He turned it down due to the fact he was a Swami. So today there is just no way to trace the truth of this story and put it in a historic context. The book by Nicolas Notovitch is still being published today.