• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

miss repersentation of term deist

deism or deist is used a lot of time incorrectly it just stands for some one who believes in god
and or the dictionary definition

belief in the existence of a God on the evidence of reason and nature only, with rejection of supernatural revelation (distinguished from theism ). 2. belief in a God who created the world but has since remained indifferent to it. Origin of deism

which is my share holding on religion

ThePainefulTruth

Romantic-Cynic
deism or deist is used a lot of time incorrectly it just stands for some one who believes in god

The dictionary definition of what, "God" or "deist".
belief in the existence of a God on the evidence of reason and nature only, with rejection of supernatural revelation (distinguished from theism ).

The only evidence is the existence of the universe, and that's totally blank as to being pro or con on it being created by God. As to the rejection of anything supernatural or of revelation, there is no evidence to reject. An absence of evidence is not evidence. That of course doesn't prohibit "what if" speculation.

2. belief in a God who created the world but has since remained indifferent to it. Origin of deism

That 19th century attitude, which was often expressed as a clock maker God who walked away, came from deist opponents in the revealed religions who tried to make God seem uncaring, and was often the dictionary definition--which was held by a small minority of deists at best. Why would God create the universe and then walk away or not care about it? Non-interfering or impersonal does not mean non-caring. In fact the most reasonable reason would be because God doesn't want to disrupt our free will--the likely reason for the natural, rational universe in the first place. Giving us free will would be a very loving act. It would put our moral choices outside of God's foreknowledge or influence--a very tricky proposition.

Deism arose because there is no evidence either way, for God's creation of the universe, or for any supernatural events or revelation--beyond ancient hearsay.

I take it you mean that's your position or opinion on religion?

Last edited:

RRex

Premium Member
Why would God create the universe and then walk away or not care about it? Non-interfering or impersonal does not mean non-caring. In fact the most reasonable reason would be because God doesn't want to disrupt our free will--the likely reason for the natural, rational universe in the first place. Giving us free will would be a very loving act. It would put our moral choices outside of God's foreknowledge or influence--a very tricky proposition.
I don't think It cares. I think It created the universe then sat back to observe.

I don't see getting an aggressive form of cancer as love or the exercise of free will. I see it as a glaring example of the fundamentally sadistic nature of the creator.

ThePainefulTruth

Romantic-Cynic
I don't think It cares. I think It created the universe then sat back to observe.

Why would it create it much less continue to observe it, if God didn't care?

I don't see getting an aggressive form of cancer as love or the exercise of free will. I see it as a glaring example of the fundamentally sadistic nature of the creator.

Free will certainly is. Free will is the purpose for the universe It created for evolved self-aware creatures such as we. And death is a necessity, or we could suffer for eternity as the result of disease, or a malevolent person. Small price to pay, though it may not seem that way at the time.

Father

Devourer of Truth
While yes that is the Definition. Deists can also hold personal ideals unique to themselves based on that. and it would still be Deism. it just has to have those 2 rules it does not mean you cant add onto it. so long as those rule's are not broken

paarsurrey

Veteran Member
belief in the existence of a God on the evidence of reason and nature only, with rejection of supernatural revelation (distinguished from theism ). 2. belief in a God who created the world but has since remained indifferent to it. Origin of deism

deism (n.)
"belief in the existence of a personal God, generally accompanied by denial of revelation and the authority of a church," 1680s (deist is from 1620s), from French déisme, from Latin deus "god," from PIE root *dyeu- "to shine," in derivatives "sky, heaven, god."
A type of rationalistic theology that rose to prominence in England in the late 17c. and early 18c.; the deists advocated for the sufficiency of natural religion, apart from Scripture or revelation. Until c. 1700, the word was opposed to atheism; later it was the opposite of theism (q.v.), with which it is etymologically equivalent.
The term "deism" not only is used to signify the main body of the deists' teaching, or the tendency they represent, but has come into use as a technical term for one specific metaphysical doctrine as to the relation of God to the universe, assumed to have been characteristic of the deists, and to have distinguished them from atheists, pantheists and theists,—the belief, namely, that the first cause of the universe is a personal God, who is, however, not only distinct from the world but apart from it and its concerns. [Encyclopaedia Britannica, 1922]
deism | Origin and meaning of deism by Online Etymology Dictionary

deist (n.)
"one who holds to some general doctrines of Christian religion and believes in the existence of a personal God but denies revelation and dogma and church authority," 1620s, from French déiste (1560s), from Latin deus (see Zeus). Related: Deistic (1795); deistically. Also see deism.
deist | Origin and meaning of deist by Online Etymology Dictionary

So, these are philosophical terms and hence have nothing to do with the Religion/Revealed Religion or the Science and are not supported by Religion or Science, please. Right?
I am ordinary person in the street, why I am to believe in the Philosophers and their terms and tools to start with, please? Right?

Regards

Last edited: