• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Misquoting the Bible

sandy whitelinger

Veteran Member
What are some verses that you most often hear misquoted?

I hear these two the most:

"Money is the root of all evil."

"But my God shall supply all your needs according to his riches in glory by Christ Jesus."

What do you hear?

Smoke

Done here.
There is a whole long list of things I'm used to hearing, prefaced by, "Jesus says ..." when in fact it's not in the Bible at all, or if it is, it wasn't said by Jesus. "Jesus says we have to accept him as our personal savior" particularly grates on my nerves.

There's also a surprising number of people who think "Cleanliness is next to godliness" is from the Bible.

"Money is the root of all evil" is probably the most common actual misquoting of the Bible that I hear, though.

Although it's not really a misquote, I always did find it hilarious that Howard Dean once said that his favorite book of the Bible is Job, but then couldn't place it in the correct Testament...He then said his least favorite book was Numbers, and went on to discuss the national budget. lol.

FGS

Elvendon

Mystical Tea Dispenser
MidnightBlue said:
There is a whole long list of things I'm used to hearing, prefaced by, "Jesus says ..." when in fact it's not in the Bible at all, or if it is, it wasn't said by Jesus. "Jesus says we have to accept him as our personal savior" particularly grates on my nerves.

I have to agree. It is not only false, but it portrays God as a vain and fickle attention seeker, something which I find abominable.

Arben

It is sad that many people don't really know enough about the Bible to speak about spiritual things without trying to quote scripture word for word just to impress people. I never was great on remembering where a scripture is found, but I do know the Bible better than most Christians. I'm not saying that to boast, just making the point that it is more important to know the Bible than to memorize a few scriptures, chapter and verse.

I'm not saying that all Christians who quote chapter and verse are simply trying to impress others, but obviously the misquoters are trying to talk about more than they know.

God bless.

robtex

Veteran Member
Sandy in regards to you OP I would say that way too many Bible debates revolve around a single qoute that completely ignore the context that qoute was in and story to which the qoute was attached.

As a matter of fact I think that is true with many other books even ones that are not religious in nature. Most qoutes when pulled out of context lose much of their original meaning and leave the reader, who is likely only reading the qoute, at a fundemental disadvantage in understanding what the qoute was designed for, until such time they see the qoute in its origninal context.

James the Persian

Dreptcredincios Crestin
Arben said:
It is sad that many people don't really know enough about the Bible to speak about spiritual things without trying to quote scripture word for word just to impress people. I never was great on remembering where a scripture is found, but I do know the Bible better than most Christians. I'm not saying that to boast, just making the point that it is more important to know the Bible than to memorize a few scriptures, chapter and verse.

I'm not saying that all Christians who quote chapter and verse are simply trying to impress others, but obviously the misquoters are trying to talk about more than they know.

God bless.

I wholeheartedly agree with you on this. I tend to paraphrase rather than quote myself (though a quotation is sometimes necessary). I do the translations for our parish and I was having trouble with some Bible quotes in Romanian because traditionally we just say something like 'Pericope from the Gospel of John' rather than quoting chapter and verse. Obviously, I wanted to look up an existing English translation rather than do my own. I asked for chapter and verse and was told 'We don't do that because taking the quotes out of context in that way is not helpful.' I did eventually get the information I wanted once they realised I what I needed it for, but I must say that I do agree with the sentiment. Chapter and verse quotes lend themselves to be treated in isolation as texts in their own right. Saying something like 'John writes...' or 'In epistle X...' encourages the person to read the context around the passage as well, if only because they first need to find it.

James

sojourner

Annoyingly Progressive Since 2006
It's called "proof-texting": The citing of Bible verses to back up what one believes, which is in direct antithesis to how one should read the Bible.

That's why I always use this smiley when someone engages in proof-texting: :redcard:
"Foul: Illegal procedure -- three minutes in the penalty box."

A

angellous_evangellous

My favorite is

"Judas hung himself" so "go and do likewise."

sojourner

Even worse is misunderstanding because of faulty presumptions:

They had motorized transportation in Biblical times:
1) The disciples were all in one Accord.
2) God's train filled the temple.

Drugs were used by the Church fathers:
1) Stephen was stoned.
2) The Lord was sitting on his throne...high and lifted up.

Ridiculous? Coytanly! :jester3: But stuff like this happens all the time because people approach the scriptures with faulty assumptions.

silvermoon383

One scripture that I'm sick of being told, especially since it's always misquoted when people quote it to me-

18 For I testify unto every man that heareth the words of the prophecy of this book, If any man shall add unto these things, God shall add unto him the plagues that are written in this book:
19 And if any man shall take away from the words of the book of this prophecy, God shall take away his part out of the book of life, and out of the holy city, and from the things which are written in this book
Revelation 22:18 - 19

John was talking about the book of Revelation, not the whole Bible for heaven's sake! He didn't even have the Bible!

sandy whitelinger

Veteran Member
robtex said:
Sandy in regards to you OP I would say that way too many Bible debates revolve around a single qoute that completely ignore the context that qoute was in and story to which the qoute was attached.

As a matter of fact I think that is true with many other books even ones that are not religious in nature. Most qoutes when pulled out of context lose much of their original meaning and leave the reader, who is likely only reading the qoute, at a fundemental disadvantage in understanding what the qoute was designed for, until such time they see the qoute in its origninal context.

Sadly this is also true.

sandy whitelinger

Veteran Member
angellous_evangellous said:
My favorite is

"Judas hung himself" so "go and do likewise."

If you put it all together he hung himself by falling headlong, somehow hanging himself on something, and his bowels gushed out.

sandy whitelinger

Veteran Member
sojourner said:
Even worse is misunderstanding because of faulty presumptions:

They had motorized transportation in Biblical times:
1) The disciples were all in one Accord.
2) God's train filled the temple.

Drugs were used by the Church fathers:
1) Stephen was stoned.
2) The Lord was sitting on his throne...high and lifted up.

Ridiculous? Coytanly! :jester3: But stuff like this happens all the time because people approach the scriptures with faulty assumptions.

They also played baseball: "In the big inning...." and "..they rattled the pitchers.."

Scuba Pete

Le plongeur avec attitude...
"God helps those who help themselves"
"Cleanliness is next to Godliness"

There is nothing wrong when quoting scriptures. In fact, not enough people base their theology on reading the scriptures. If you don't know it, just admit it and learn. There are MANY places where you can do a search of scriptures (www.BibleGateway.com for starters) to find those references to clarify what you should believe.

reyjamiei

silvermoon383 said:
One scripture that I'm sick of being told, especially since it's always misquoted when people quote it to me-

18 For I testify unto every man that heareth the words of the prophecy of this book, If any man shall add unto these things, God shall add unto him the plagues that are written in this book:
19 And if any man shall take away from the words of the book of this prophecy, God shall take away his part out of the book of life, and out of the holy city, and from the things which are written in this book
Revelation 22:18 - 19

John was talking about the book of Revelation, not the whole Bible for heaven's sake! He didn't even have the Bible!

I agree with you, I believe Revelation 22:18-19 is the most often misquoted verses of the Bible that I hear.

sojourner

sandy whitelinger said:
They also played baseball: "In the big inning...." and "..they rattled the pitchers.."

I wonder what kind of "chatter" they used to rattle the pitchers???:baseball:

O Magnum Mysterium, perhaps?

verita

Actually the verse in the bible was cut or sliced by the one who spread it. Money is NOT the root of all evils but it is the LOVE of money. See how Deceivers deduct words in the bible and mislead innocent peoples...
1Ti 6:10 For the love of money is a root of all evils, of which some having lusted after, they were seduced from the faith and pierced themselves through with many sorrows.

God bless you all.

But seek ye first the kingdom of God, and his righteousness; and all these things shall be added unto you...Matthew 6:33

verita

MidnightBlue said:
I agree with MidnightBlue. That saying personal savior is NOT true. Read the following verse...
Eph 5:23 For the husband is the head of the wife, even as Christ is the head of the church; and He is the Savior of the body.

The body of our Lord Jesus Christ is the church.
Col 1:18 And He is the Head of the body, the church, who is the Beginning, the First-born from the dead, that He may be pre-eminent in all things.

More evidence.
Col 1:24 who now rejoice in my sufferings on your behalf, and I fill up the things lacking of the afflictions of Christ in my flesh, on behalf of His body, which is the church;

Now, what is the name of that church being mentioned?
1Co 1:9 God is faithful, by whom you were called to the fellowship of His Son, Jesus Christ our Lord.
1Co 1:1 Paul, a called apostle of Jesus Christ through the will of God, and Sosthenes our brother,
1Co 1:2 to the church of God which is in Corinth, to those who are sanctified in Christ Jesus, called out with all those in every place

God bless you all.
But seek ye first the kingdom of God, and his righteousness; and all these things shall be added unto you...Matthew 6:33