• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Misquote in the Gospel

kjw47

I particularly like this misquote from the gospel
it regards John the Baptist

Luke 3:4
"As it is written in the book of the words of Isaiah the prophet:
'A voice of one calling in the desert, 'Prepare the way for the Lord,
make straight paths for him''.

So the gospel scholars make a strong distinction that it was John proclaiming 'in the desert' then quotes.
Here is the actual Isaiah quote.....
Isaiah 40:3
"A voice of one calling: 'In the desert prepare the way for the Lord;
make straight in the wilderness a highway for our God.'"

As you can see, they misquoted between 'in the desert' and 'prepare the way of our Lord'.
they moved the break of exclamation

So it is not, a voice of one calling in the desert: 'prepare the way'

it is, a voice of one calling: 'in the desert prepare the way'
the prophet wasn't in the desert, the highway of the Lord was.

I don't know why they haven't fixed that typo after all these years?

There are many errors in trinity translation, to lead one away from God

Example
Truly I tell you, today you will be with me in paradise. = Error

Truly I tell you today, you will be with me in paradise. = Correct.

The bible is clear on that matter--Jesus was in Hades( grave) for 3 days--he could not be in paradise on the first day.

omega2xx

Example

The bible is clear on that matter--Jesus was in Hades( grave) for 3 days--he could not be in paradise on the first day.

Hades, actually Sheol was divided into 2 maybe 3 parts. The parts are called "torments," and Abraham's bosom, also called "paradise."

When your Greek is better than those who translates Bibles, I will accept where you placed the coma

kjw47

Hades, actually Sheol was divided into 2 maybe 3 parts. The parts are called "torments," and Abraham's bosom, also called "paradise."

When your Greek is better than those who translates Bibles, I will accept where you placed the coma

It doesn't take knowing greek. it takes knowing bible facts--Jesus was in Hades for 3 days--- fact-- THE only place paradise will exist is the new earth--the earth will be transformed into paradise in Gods kingdom.
Trinity comma placement is error.

Another error=

I am that I am = error
Hebrew scholars say--I will be what I will be is correct.
another error by trinity translators to try and use I am by Jesus to say he was claiming to be God--- is not the truth--they came up with that from error.

omega2xx

It doesn't take knowing greek. it takes knowing bible facts--Jesus was in Hades for 3 days--- fact--

The Bible does not say he was there for 3 day and it seems unlikely He was.

THE only place paradise will exist is the new earth--the earth will be transformed into paradise in Gods kingdom.

Many scholars say "Abraham's bosom," is paradise and nowhere does it say the new earth is paradise, but I agree it is.

Another error=

I am that I am = error
another error by trinity translators to try and use I am by Jesus to say he was claiming to be God--- is not the truth--they came up with that from error.

The scholars I read say Jehovah means I Am, what I Am.

If you don' think John 1:1 says Jesus is God, there is no hope for you to know the truth.

djhwoodwerks

It doesn't take knowing greek. it takes knowing bible facts--Jesus was in Hades for 3 days--- fact-- THE only place paradise will exist is the new earth--the earth will be transformed into paradise in Gods kingdom.

Another error=

I am that I am = error

Eh, give it a little longer, your 'slave' will get a "flash of light" and your current truth will change!

kjw47

The Bible does not say he was there for 3 day and it seems unlikely He was.

Many scholars say "Abraham's bosom," is paradise and nowhere does it say the new earth is paradise, but I agree it is.

The scholars I read say Jehovah means I Am, what I Am.

If you don' think John 1:1 says Jesus is God, there is no hope for you to know the truth.

Even Jesus taught he wouldn't be raised up until the 3rd day.

The descrepency is a capitol G God or a small g God at John 1:1-- If we read the second line in plain English trinity it reads--And God was with God = impossible--there is one God, and since all that love Jesus believe HIM and obey HIM--they know 100% he teaches he has a God--John 20:17, Rev 3:12-- so do his real teachers--2Cor 1:3, 1Cor 15:24-28, 1Cor 8:6-- 1Peter 1:3--- Rev 1:6
We all must choose who we believe.

Last edited:

randomvim

It's My Birthday!
Whenever the Apostles quote the OT most of the time it is way out of context. Which makes me wonder how I am supposed to interpret the Bible when the Apostles just lift those verses out of context without even batting an eye.

For instance, Matthew 2:15 and Hosea 11:1.
how are apostles out of context?

Scuba Pete

Le plongeur avec attitude...
As you can see, they misquoted
Have you ever translated anything? Here you have John the Baptist translating OT Hebrew into NT Aramaic. Then somehow, that gets remembered and translated into NT Greek and more recently the whole shooting match gets translated into English. Why on earth would you expect a word for word agreement? Why would you want that? The scriptures are useful, but they never claim to be the Word and they never claim to be perfect. That's a tradition of men: not God.

12jtartar

Premium Member
JohnAmes,
If you're just looking for some error in God's Word, surely you can find something worse than this.
When you are translating different languages, the parts of speech are in different place in different languages. There is NO mistake here, just as there are no errors in God's word, just a lack of knowledge in the reader. This can usually be corrected by comparing different Bible translations.

RedDragon94

Love everyone, meditate often
Nothing is taken out of context. The context in Matthew comes from Mt 2:14. The context in Hoses goes back to when Israel was in bondage in Egypt. Both were called out of Egypt. Jesus and Israel are both called God's first born Son. What God did for Israel in Egypt was to fulfill what He would do for Jesus.
It's not a prophecy about Jesus, read the chapter.

arthra

Baha'i
I particularly like this misquote from the gospel
it regards John the Baptist

Luke 3:4
"As it is written in the book of the words of Isaiah the prophet:
'A voice of one calling in the desert, 'Prepare the way for the Lord,
make straight paths for him''.

So the gospel scholars make a strong distinction that it was John proclaiming 'in the desert' then quotes.
Here is the actual Isaiah quote.....
Isaiah 40:3
"A voice of one calling: 'In the desert prepare the way for the Lord;
make straight in the wilderness a highway for our God.'"

As you can see, they misquoted between 'in the desert' and 'prepare the way of our Lord'.
they moved the break of exclamation

So it is not, a voice of one calling in the desert: 'prepare the way'

it is, a voice of one calling: 'in the desert prepare the way'
the prophet wasn't in the desert, the highway of the Lord was.

I don't know why they haven't fixed that typo after all these years?

There were no punctuation marks in ancient Writings... I'll give you another example found in Luke 23:43 when Jesus is on the cross and is speaking to the "thief" who was being crucified with Him ... He says:

New International Version
Jesus answered him, "Truly I tell you, today you will be with me in paradise."

Could also be translated as "Truly I tell you today... you will be with Me in paradise"

Consider the Greek words:
Luke 23:43 (ASV)

It's not a "misquote".. without punctuation no one knows for sure.

Oeste

Example

New International Version
Jesus answered him, "Truly I tell you, today you will be with me in paradise."

Could also be translated as "Truly I tell you today... you will be with Me in paradise"

Consider the Greek words:
Luke 23:43 (ASV)

It's not a "misquote".. without punctuation no one knows for sure.

Not really. The correct translation is "Truly I tell you, today you will be with me in paradise."

"Paradise" (παράδεισος) is used only 3 times in the NT, all by different writers. According to the NET Bible, this is simply the abode of the righteous dead, which would be Hades until Jesus brought them out.

We know it couldn't be "Truly I tell you today, you will be with me in paradise" because those are the words of a liar. It implies that the speaker has lied before but today he's telling us the truth.

Jesus spoke the truth at all times, so there was never a need to tell us he was speaking the truth today. It's only when I've lied to you before that I would claim to speak the truth today.

In other words, if you're interrogating a witness and he tells you "I'm telling you the truth now" you know immediately that you've received at least one lie previously. So the correct punctuation (comma placement) is after "you", and not after "today".

arthra

Baha'i
Not really. The correct translation is "Truly I tell you, today you will be with me in paradise."

Without punctuation in the early manuscripts we don't really know for sure... See for yourself:
no punctuation in the early manuscripts - Bing images

The other issue is that we know Jesus spoke Aramaic and so later translations into Greek would be likely miss Aramaic expressions and meanings.

We know it couldn't be "Truly I tell you today, you will be with me in paradise" because those are the words of a liar. It implies that the speaker has lied before but today he's telling us the truth.

Can't buy that... but you're entitled to believe it.

pearl

Truly I say to you, Amen I say to you, etc. is the typical manner of prophetic speech. Added to the lack of punctuation is the possibility of changes made by scribes or copyists since these were not yet holy Scripture.

kjw47

"Paradise" (παράδεισος) is used only 3 times in the NT, all by different writers. According to the NET Bible, this is simply the abode of the righteous dead, which would be Hades until Jesus brought them out.

Jesus spoke the truth at all times, so there was never a need to tell us he was speaking the truth today. It's only when I've lied to you before that I would claim to speak the truth today.

In other words, if you're interrogating a witness and he tells you "I'm telling you the truth now" you know immediately that you've received at least one lie previously. So the correct punctuation (comma placement) is after "you", and not after "today".

Who ever taught you that is insane. Eden translates--paradise--It will be on the new earth--no where else.
Jesus himself taught he would not be raised for 3 days--he was not in paradise the first day. Neither was the thief.

Oeste

Without punctuation in the early manuscripts we don't really know for sure... See for yourself:
no punctuation in the early manuscripts - Bing images

The other issue is that we know Jesus spoke Aramaic and so later translations into Greek would be likely miss Aramaic expressions and meanings.

My point is not one of written punctuation but of meaning. Your meaning implies Jesus lied before, mine eliminates the possibility.

Can't buy that... but you're entitled to believe it.

Most people charge with interrogating believe it, and they believe it because it works.

A man who has never lied to you is NOT going to tell you "I'm telling the truth today, he was at the store." He is going to tell you "I'm telling the truth, today he was at the store."

Oeste

Truly I say to you, Amen I say to you, etc. is the typical manner of prophetic speech. Added to the lack of punctuation is the possibility of changes made by scribes or copyists since these were not yet holy Scripture.

We can also add the possibility that some saw the lack punctuation as an opportunity to insert doctrine, like the Jehovah Witnesses. By phrasing the NWT as "Truly I tell you today,..." they are able to twist Christ's words to support their non-scriptural soul sleep doctrine with disastrous effect... we now have Jesus implying he wasn't always truthful.

Oeste

Who ever taught you that is insane. Eden translates--paradise--It will be on the new earth--no where else.
Jesus himself taught he would not be raised for 3 days--he was not in paradise the first day. Neither was the thief.

You call them insane yet you, as a Jehovah Witness, believe the dead are "unconscious" and "cease to exist"? Does that sound like sanity to you?

How can anything that has "ceased to exist" be "unconscious"??? The two are mutually exclusive.

WT_Unconscious.jpg

WT_CeaseExist.jpg

You can't possibly be unconscious if you have "ceased to exist"!

Lastly, how can anyone believe what the WT says about punctuation when they have the audacity to deceptively shorten and place periods where God has done no such thing? Ecclesiastes 9:5 does not simply say "The dead know nothing at all." with a period!

kjw47

You call them insane yet you, as a Jehovah Witness, believe the dead are "unconscious" and "cease to exist"? Does that sound like sanity to you?

How can anything that has "ceased to exist" be "unconscious"??? The two are mutually exclusive.

View attachment 15846

View attachment 15844

You can't possibly be unconscious if you have "ceased to exist"!

Lastly, how can anyone believe what the WT says about punctuation when they have the audacity to deceptively shorten and place periods where God has done no such thing? Ecclesiastes 9:5 does not simply say "The dead know nothing at all." with a period!

Jesus likened death to sleep--the dead are in Gods memory--every one of them.
The lake of fire( destruction) is the 2nd death( permanent)