• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Naganami

Qur'an (2:228) -
"and the men are a degree above them [women]” Qur'an (24:31) - Women are to lower their gaze around men, so they do not look them in the eye. Qur'an (4:24) and Qur'an (33:50) - A man is permitted to take women as sex slaves outside of marriage.

Women aren't as intelligent as men? Bukhari (6:301) - "[Muhammad] said, 'Is not the evidence of two women equal to the witness of one man?' They replied in the affirmative. He said, 'This is the deficiency in her intelligence.’"

Women are just for sex and copulation? Sex slaves? Bukhari (2:29) - Women comprise the majority of Hell's occupants. This is important because the only women in heaven ever mentioned by Muhammad are the virgins who serve the sexual desires of men. Abu Dawud (2155) - Women are compared to slaves and camels with regard to the "evil" in them. Ishaq 593 - "As for Ali, he said, 'Women are plentiful, and you can easily change one for another.’"

Men are the maintainers of women because Allah has made some of them to excel others and because they spend out of their property; the good women are therefore obedient, guarding the unseen as Allah has guarded; and (as to) those on whose part you fear desertion, admonish them, and leave them alone in the sleeping-places and beat them; then if they obey you, do not seek a way against them; surely Allah is High, Great. [Surah Verse 4:34] “Men have authority over women, for that God has preferred in bounty one of them over another, and for that they have expended of their property. Righteous women are therefore obedient … and those you fear may be rebellious, admonish them to their couches, and beat them”. (The Koran, Women, verse 38)

Women’s freedoms must be restricted? Especially within law and religious law, using the hijab for example; the veil, which exists in Christianity and Judaism as well. "The head of every man is Christ, and the head of every woman is man." (I Cor. 11:3) "Wives, submit yourselves unto your husbands, as unto the Lord...Therefore as the church is subject unto Christ, so let the wives be to their own husbands in everything." (Eph. 5:22-24) "A woman should learn in quietness and full submission. I do not permit a woman to teach or to have authority over a man; she must be silent. For Adam was formed first, then Eve. And Adam was not the one deceived; it was the woman who was deceived and became a sinner." (I Tim. 2:11-14) The Lord said to Moses, "Now kill all the boys. And kill every woman who has slept with a man, but save for yourselves every girl who has never slept with a man." (Num. 31:17)

"For man did not come from woman, but woman from man. Neither was man created for woman, but woman for man." (I Cor. 11:8-9) "The birth of a daughter is a loss" (Ecclesiasticus 22:3)

Whoever marries his daughter to an am ha-arez is as though he bound and laid her before a lion: just as a lion tears [his prey] and devours it and has no shame, so an am ha-arez strikes [hits/beats] and cohabits and has no shame” (B. Pesahim 49b). “A wife who refuses to perform any kind of work that she is obligated to do, may be compelled to perform it, even by scourging her with a rod” (Isshut 21:10)

WHY are women to be treated so lowly?

Deathbydefault

Apistevist Asexual Atheist

I mean, you've kind of answered your own question here.

Qur'an (2:228) - "and the men are a degree above them [women]” Qur'an (24:31) - Women are to lower their gaze around men, so they do not look them in the eye. Qur'an (4:24) and Qur'an (33:50) - A man is permitted to take women as sex slaves outside of marriage.

Women aren't as intelligent as men? Bukhari (6:301) - "[Muhammad] said, 'Is not the evidence of two women equal to the witness of one man?' They replied in the affirmative. He said, 'This is the deficiency in her intelligence.’"

Women are just for sex and copulation? Sex slaves? Bukhari (2:29) - Women comprise the majority of Hell's occupants. This is important because the only women in heaven ever mentioned by Muhammad are the virgins who serve the sexual desires of men. Abu Dawud (2155) - Women are compared to slaves and camels with regard to the "evil" in them. Ishaq 593 - "As for Ali, he said, 'Women are plentiful, and you can easily change one for another.’"

Men are the maintainers of women because Allah has made some of them to excel others and because they spend out of their property; the good women are therefore obedient, guarding the unseen as Allah has guarded; and (as to) those on whose part you fear desertion, admonish them, and leave them alone in the sleeping-places and beat them; then if they obey you, do not seek a way against them; surely Allah is High, Great. [Surah Verse 4:34] “Men have authority over women, for that God has preferred in bounty one of them over another, and for that they have expended of their property. Righteous women are therefore obedient … and those you fear may be rebellious, admonish them to their couches, and beat them”. (The Koran, Women, verse 38)

Women’s freedoms must be restricted? Especially within law and religious law, using the hijab for example; the veil, which exists in Christianity and Judaism as well. "The head of every man is Christ, and the head of every woman is man." (I Cor. 11:3) "Wives, submit yourselves unto your husbands, as unto the Lord...Therefore as the church is subject unto Christ, so let the wives be to their own husbands in everything." (Eph. 5:22-24) "A woman should learn in quietness and full submission. I do not permit a woman to teach or to have authority over a man; she must be silent. For Adam was formed first, then Eve. And Adam was not the one deceived; it was the woman who was deceived and became a sinner." (I Tim. 2:11-14) The Lord said to Moses, "Now kill all the boys. And kill every woman who has slept with a man, but save for yourselves every girl who has never slept with a man." (Num. 31:17)

"For man did not come from woman, but woman from man. Neither was man created for woman, but woman for man." (I Cor. 11:8-9) "The birth of a daughter is a loss" (Ecclesiasticus 22:3)

Whoever marries his daughter to an am ha-arez is as though he bound and laid her before a lion: just as a lion tears [his prey] and devours it and has no shame, so an am ha-arez strikes [hits/beats] and cohabits and has no shame” (B. Pesahim 49b). “A wife who refuses to perform any kind of work that she is obligated to do, may be compelled to perform it, even by scourging her with a rod” (Isshut 21:10)

George-ananda

Advaita Vedanta, Theosophy, Spiritualism
Premium Member
I don't think it has much to do with religion, but just part of mankind's societal evolution.

Tumah

Veteran Member
The Lord said to Moses, "Now kill all the boys. And kill every woman who has slept with a man, but save for yourselves every girl who has never slept with a man." (Num. 31:17)

I agree. Killing them all would have been less misogynistic...

"The birth of a daughter is a loss" (Ecclesiasticus 22:3)

The version that I have says, "An embarrassing son is a disgrace for the father and a foolish daughter was born to be an obstacle." (בן מביש חרפת אב ובת אולת למכשל נולדה)

Whoever marries his daughter to an am ha-arez is as though he bound and laid her before a lion: just as a lion tears [his prey] and devours it and has no shame, so an am ha-arez strikes [hits/beats] and cohabits and has no shame” (B. Pesahim 49b).

This is saying not to marry your daughter off to an ignoramus. I'm not really sure why you think that's bad.
And this kind of looks more like misandry than misogyny.

“A wife who refuses to perform any kind of work that she is obligated to do, may be compelled to perform it, even by scourging her with a rod” (Isshut 21:10)

This is a [partial] quote from Maimonides, not the Talmud. I'm not even sure why it would be on this list, since the only people who strictly follow Maimonides is a tribe of Yemenite Jews. But whatever.

Contextually the selected chapter is speaking about the woman's obligation to her husband and in this case, how its enforced. The obligations of a man to his wife and how they're enforced were already discussed a few chapters prior. The the man's obligations to his wife are generally in the form of money and the woman's obligations are in the form of certain labors depending on the circumstances. She can choose to cancel the husband's obligations to her and thereby not have any obligations to him. But the quote you've chosen is talking about in a case where she chooses to keep his obligations to her and is refusing her own obligations.

When the man withholds his obligations the court will seize his assets and give his wife whatever she's meant to get. And when the woman withholds her labors, the court will hit her until she provides them. Standard practice in Jewish Law is someone who withholds money, the court seizes it and someone who withholds an action, the court hits him. So she's getting equal treatment in that regard.

I'll be honest, you haven't really done such a great job of proving that they are. At least from your Jewish quotes. You didn't even quote Gen. 3:16 and that's like standard for these types of threads. You could have done a much more convincing job had you put in some effort and done some research.