• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Misery and Unbelonging

Rival

se Dex me saut.
Staff member
Premium Member
Oh, sorry, can't tell from the Avatar.

Wasn't there a time when it was considered wrong for girls to be even engaged in studying Torah and Talmud and such? Just thinking back to the movie Yentl, with Barbara Streisand, who had to pretend to be male to go to the Yeshiva.
They don't do it in Yeshivah, but no, it's not forbidden for them to know Torah otherwise they wouldn't know how to practice their own religion. Women can be quite informed when it comes to the religion. Especially if you're a convert you have to know stuff to prove you're serious.

Evangelicalhumanist

"Truth" isn't a thing...
Premium Member
They don't do it in Yeshivah, but no, it's not forbidden for them to know Torah otherwise they wouldn't know how to practice their own religion. Women can be quite informed when it comes to the religion. Especially if you're a convert you have to know stuff to prove you're serious.
I think you can be serious without proving it...to anybody.

Evangelicalhumanist

"Truth" isn't a thing...
Premium Member
You can but Judaism is really strict about these things. They need to know a convert isn't just doing it to marry a Jew they're in love with or whatever.
Why do "they" need to know anything of the kind? Your marriage is a matter between you and the person you marry, and nobody else should be involved in it, in my view.

Rival

se Dex me saut.
Staff member
Premium Member
Why do "they" need to know anything of the kind? Your marriage is a matter between you and the person you marry, and nobody else should be involved in it, in my view.
Because in the Jewish belief system a Jew is not allowed to marry a non-Jew. As I am aligned with Orthodox Jewish beliefs I cannot marry a Jew. Religion is not a necessarily individual matter in Judaism, it's a community and family matter. The whole nation is treated as one body. Judaism is a very family oriented faith. It's a notion that seems odd to many Europeans, Americans and other anglophone folk, but that's the way it is. Everyone has a designated role to play. It's not something you keep to yourself.

Dawnofhope

Non-Proselytizing Baha'i
Staff member
Premium Member
This is a journal thread so feel free to turn back.

Starting too many sentences with 'I' makes me feel self-absorbed, but here it is. I'm feeling so lonely lately. My friends on here have already felt the brunt on this, but no, I really do. Even on RF it seems most of my British and continental European peers are atheists or some form of 'spiritual but not religious' in a way with which I can't identify. It seems even talking about religion is taboo and causes folks' anger to rise, as for a lot of folks their dislike of religion seems to stem not from the ideology but the religious people and institutions themselves, and it just seems really hard to make people see beyond their hostile feelings and have an in-depth look at the religion itself on its own merits. This is an issue for me because my religion is my life; so I feel isolated and unheard; or worse, mocked and scorned. They say the best thing for religion is to 'keep it at home' - except this just isn't feasible for most seriously religious folks. It also seems to betray a hostile attitude towards religion in general; one of 'we don't want to hear or see it'. It's just too tiring for me to try to help people move past this a lot of the time.

This has also led to trouble finding a partner. I do like women, but to have one for a life partner seems wrong to me. It goes against my religious sensibilities, ultimately, and it feels incomplete. I need a bloke. Yet more women tend to be religious than men and there's no way I'm going for an atheist. I feel like I've lived up to my own expectations most of the time; I've not slept around, I've not strung people along (or if I have, I never meant to), I've not lied to folks about where I stand. It's no secret I talk about sex openly and have an appetite for it, but despite this I've kept myself in check out in the real world.

It's really depressing to me that I live on one of the most secular places (western Europe) on Earth. It means wherever I go 'locally' I'll face the same issues. I don't know what I'm meant to do at this point. Sometimes I wish I could just give up and join the ranks of atheists and be a part of my society, but I can't do that. I dislike the likes of the Sam Harris and Richard Dawkins cultists, too.

I don't know, maybe it is time to think of converting. It's better than jumping off a bridge.

The issue I have with it is that it makes me feel kicked out of my own culture; that my own people have said I'm not part of them. And Judaism makes conversion hard since it's a no-turning-back avenue. So it feels like I'm between a rock and hard place.

:disappointed::brokenheart:

Sorry to hear its such a tough time for you @Rival

Experiences are very different for men and women with religion and relationships but I do see some parallels between your current circumstances and what I went through when I was in my twenties. Central to my life was a religious/spiritual reality that didn't seem to fit comfortably anywhere. NZ is a strongly secular country so my family and friends couldn't see what all the fuss was about. I had issues to sort out in regards the dysfunctional family I grew up in and my own dysfunction and depression. I lived and worked in low socioeconomic areas for long periods where the depravation is just as much spiritual as it is material. I've never had strong sexual feelings towards the same sex though..

Long story short, I eventually married in my mid 30s and have a couple of teenage sons. When I had become a Baha'i aged 26, I assumed I would marry a Baha'i. Instead I married a nominal Buddhist with theistic leanings instead. Twenty years together and we're doing fine. There are relatively small numbers of Baha'is where I live, so I needed to look beyond my Faith community. However belonging to a faith community of like minded people has been a great source of support over the years. Finding a vocation where I could use my skills to serve the community has been invaluable too. It was through my studies I met my wife.

From reading your posts over the last few years, you have come a long way, and you seem to be heading in the right direction. Keep praying and living the life and the answers that are right for you will certainly come.

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
Unfortunately not. I live in a small village in a deprived area. To go anywhere meaningful you need to take a train and that costs money I just don't have right now. I'd never even heard of UU until someone on RF mentioned it.

It's a multi-religious and political (good way) organization that welcomes religious and non-religious as a congregation. It used to be christian protestant but the two leaders broke off from that thought (Methodist, I believe), one saying there is no hell-all go to the same place and the other saying there is no inherent sin and we are all creatures of god. They joined together later on. Years later, UU (Unitarian-no inherited sin and Universalist-all go to heaven) started becoming more secular based. The "god" part started and now is "spirit of life" and congregation welcomes all different interpretations of god or spirit of life (breathe, so have you). Many are pagans, atheists, anti-christian, former christian, and so forth. The political part is they support all LGBTQ rights, pro-choice, and fight for justice etc. 80s I think it was their high mark for political influences but they've always been like that even from the get-go.

So, if I compared your OP to my experiences in UU, it's a totally clash.
Unitarian Universalist Association | UUA.org

I don't know about finding someone to be with who is Noahide. Trying to find a lesbian woman around these parts is like trying to find a needle in a haystack. Out of all things you mentioned, that's probably what will hold you back a bit unless you move out of the area or count your blessings, maybe?

Last edited:

Brickjectivity

wind and rain touch not this brain
Staff member
Premium Member
Well...

I'd have to move to a Jewish area, which means abandoning family. Also potentially losing family as I'm sure no-one would be exactly thrilled at my choice.
Then it'd take 2 years to convert.
Then I'd be bound to all Torah law; so keeping Shabbat, keeping Kosher, observing festivals, fasts and whatnot, as well as basically learning a new language.
You might wind up on a Kibbutz in Israel, peeling potatoes. :eek: Without a potato peeling tool.

I can do this, but as it is, I'm not obliged in those things now. I can cross-dress (which I do); I can be with a woman; I don't have to observe Shabbat or keep kosher. If I convert, those options are taken away. Then I can never return to it. Once you're Jewish you're Jewish. I like Noahidism as I enjoy the relative freedom it gives me. Don't get me wrong; I could be Jewish and put all my heart into the rituals; I've adopted some already; but that's the thing - right now it's my choice.
And you can post whatever you want. I mean c'mon? Suddenly you could only post Jewish things. Everything you posted would be Jewish. By definition! Every time you said anything we'd all think "That's Judaism!" I don't know if you want that kind of pressure.

I want to be part of my people and it's incredibly upsetting that I feel I don't belong.
On a more serious note: I can't directly empathize, but I do know what it feels like ballpark. It may not be strictly related to religion, depending on you. There are people (not necessarily you) who always feel like outsiders wherever they go, so make sure that's not you. In such people this feeling can follow them in to wherever they are going.

Evangelicalhumanist

"Truth" isn't a thing...
Premium Member
Because in the Jewish belief system a Jew is not allowed to marry a non-Jew. As I am aligned with Orthodox Jewish beliefs I cannot marry a Jew. Religion is not a necessarily individual matter in Judaism, it's a community and family matter. The whole nation is treated as one body. Judaism is a very family oriented faith. It's a notion that seems odd to many Europeans, Americans and other anglophone folk, but that's the way it is. Everyone has a designated role to play. It's not something you keep to yourself.
Well then, I was right -- in your faith, you personal happiness isn't important at all. It may be "family oriented," but you don't get to choose how to establish your family.

So if you have adopted that with the conviction that you seem to have, why are you complaining that you are not happy? You're not supposed to be.

Rival

se Dex me saut.
Staff member
Premium Member
Well then, I was right -- in your faith, you personal happiness isn't important at all. It may be "family oriented," but you don't get to choose how to establish your family.

So if you have adopted that with the conviction that you seem to have, why are you complaining that you are not happy? You're not supposed to be.
You don't seem to get this at all.

Happiness is important in Judaism, but so are values and sticking to them. It's only in modern times that religion has become an individual matter, but Judaism is built on the premise that one lives in a Jewish community and has a Jewish family. That's just the way it is.

Secret Chief

nirvana is samsara
There'd be more folks to mingle with and choose from, but it is very hard to find the, uhm, ultra religious kind of my flavour. That's a problem I don't really expect anyone to know the answer to, given my expectations.

I can only suggest you lower your standards then :rolleyes:

(a crap joke I know)

Gargovic Malkav

This is a journal thread so feel free to turn back.

Starting too many sentences with 'I' makes me feel self-absorbed, but here it is. I'm feeling so lonely lately. My friends on here have already felt the brunt on this, but no, I really do. Even on RF it seems most of my British and continental European peers are atheists or some form of 'spiritual but not religious' in a way with which I can't identify. It seems even talking about religion is taboo and causes folks' anger to rise, as for a lot of folks their dislike of religion seems to stem not from the ideology but the religious people and institutions themselves, and it just seems really hard to make people see beyond their hostile feelings and have an in-depth look at the religion itself on its own merits. This is an issue for me because my religion is my life; so I feel isolated and unheard; or worse, mocked and scorned. They say the best thing for religion is to 'keep it at home' - except this just isn't feasible for most seriously religious folks. It also seems to betray a hostile attitude towards religion in general; one of 'we don't want to hear or see it'. It's just too tiring for me to try to help people move past this a lot of the time.

This has also led to trouble finding a partner. I do like women, but to have one for a life partner seems wrong to me. It goes against my religious sensibilities, ultimately, and it feels incomplete. I need a bloke. Yet more women tend to be religious than men and there's no way I'm going for an atheist. I feel like I've lived up to my own expectations most of the time; I've not slept around, I've not strung people along (or if I have, I never meant to), I've not lied to folks about where I stand. It's no secret I talk about sex openly and have an appetite for it, but despite this I've kept myself in check out in the real world.

It's really depressing to me that I live on one of the most secular places (western Europe) on Earth. It means wherever I go 'locally' I'll face the same issues. I don't know what I'm meant to do at this point. Sometimes I wish I could just give up and join the ranks of atheists and be a part of my society, but I can't do that. I dislike the likes of the Sam Harris and Richard Dawkins cultists, too.

I don't know, maybe it is time to think of converting. It's better than jumping off a bridge.

The issue I have with it is that it makes me feel kicked out of my own culture; that my own people have said I'm not part of them. And Judaism makes conversion hard since it's a no-turning-back avenue. So it feels like I'm between a rock and hard place.

:disappointed::brokenheart:

So long as you haven't gotten some kind of sign and remain divided about this, I think it would be good to make peace with the situation as it is. Accept that you're a "spiritual foreigner" in your own country who has yet to figure out what she really needs. I hope your position between a rock and a hard place does not cause you to lose sight of the Heavens. May the Lord Almighty help you and protect you.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
:) I'm happy not being in the middle of the bell curve.
Actually I didn't mean to post that in the end, but I must have hit the wrong key or something.
I moved to California from Indiana a few years ago, so I'm not totally in the dark of your situation. Back there just one meatless meal would turn heads amd get people asking me if I became vegetarian.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
I couldn't be with an atheist because I wouldn't want that influence on any children; so yeah, this person needs to be a Noahide and my issue is there are like....5 in this country. I don't want any rituals or festivals from other religions in my household. I understand to some folks that sounds pretty terrible, but my house, my rules.

I'm not allowed to marry a Jew as I'm not Jewish.
You're in luck.
I have no specific advice for you at all.

But a general suggestion....
When one's beliefs, habits, & situation in life are vexing,
it's time to consider radically evaluating all things held dear.
Openly entertain ideas previously unthinkable about religion,
relationships, work, & locale.
Find what serves your wants & needs.