• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Misconceptions

Sundance

pursuing the Divine Beloved
Premium Member
Peace and many blessings be upon you all! It's been a bit since I've created a thread on the Forums, but I — as an eager learner — am going to pose a question or two:

#1) What are some misconceptions people have about your faith tradition? How have they regarded it? What do you do to try to educate others who may know about it or have those misconceptions?

#2) What are some misconceptions that you have about other faiths or their adherents? What steps have you taken to educate yourself?

Subhankar Zac

Hare Krishna,Hare Krishna,
#1) What are some misconceptions people have about your faith tradition? How have they regarded it? What do you do to try to educate others who may know about it or have those misconceptions?

#2) What are some misconceptions that you have about other faiths or their adherents? What steps have you taken to educate yourself?

1) People see Hinduism as a single religion. They see the swastika as evil. They believe that Hinduism is the same as Abrahamic faiths with no place for logic and science. Basically they do not understand it anyway.
I try to clear up their mis conceptions, however on both sides, it's either theist or atheist... There's no middle way in western faiths so most wouldn't change their views. So, I simply change the topic n let them have them their views.

2) I find people have their own choices. I m biased against Islam and other Abrahamic faiths, but I really have no interest in them. So, I tried reading their texts, but found no interest n in certain parts, just harsh n violent content.

Katzpur

Not your average Mormon
Peace and many blessings be upon you all! It's been a bit since I've created a thread on the Forums, but I — as an eager learner — am going to pose a question or two:

Oh, dear. Where do I begin? Sometimes I think there is more inaccurate information floating around out there than there are actual facts. I seriously could list well over a dozen misconceptions people have about what Mormons believe, but I'll only mention the two I hear most often (both of which absolutely drive me crazy): 1. "Mormons believe that when they die, they become gods and are given a new planet to rule over." 2. Mormons believe that God is a space alien that lives on a planet by the name of Kolob with hundreds of wives."

I actually probably have a lot of misconceptions about Eastern religions. For years, I thought that the Buddhist god was "Buddha." I was surprised to learn that many Buddhists are actually atheists. What I do to educate myself is pay attention to what the actual believers of a religion say about themselves, instead of relying on their enemies for accurate information.

Last edited:

Katzpur

Not your average Mormon
I'll tell you one thing I've learned about the Baha'i Faith, and that is that their scriptures are absolutely beautiful!

Jainarayan

ॐ नमो भगवते वासुदेवाय
Staff member
Premium Member
  • Hindus worship idols and cows.
  • We have 330 million gods.
  • All Hindus are vegetarians.
  • The Bhagavad Gita is the Hindu Bible.

Tarheeler

Argumentative Curmudgeon
Premium Member
Pogroms and exiles have been based on the "misconceptions" about Jews and Judaism.

Last edited:

GoodbyeDave

People have many misconceptions about Paganism.

Atheists advance arguments against "religion" which are really arguments against monotheistic religions.
> They attack the claims of prophets and scriptures — we have neither.
> They argue that the existence of evil is incompatible with an all-knowing, all-powerful, benevolent God — a belief that we don't have.

The believers in monotheistic faiths have their own misconceptions.
> They dismiss the religious experiences of Pagans, which merely undermines their own claims.
> They say we can't offer a hope of salvation, forgetting that if you don't believe in a God who goes round damning people to hell, you don't need saving in the first place.
> They claim paganism cannot provide spiritual comfort, which it certainly can.
> They claim that it cannot provide an ethical system. It's true we don't believe that the gods dictate rules of behaviour, but they don't need to: ethics can be established philosophically.
> They call our religion "primitive". Who's the more primitive: a Japanese professor who practices Shinto or a semi-literate member of the First Ranting Baptist Church of Hicksville?

I don't think I have any misconceptions about other religions. I was raised a Christian, which also implies that I know the Jewish scriptures, and I've studied the teachings of the Muslims, Sikhs, Buddhists, and Baha'i.

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
Buddha is worshipped as a God.

Buddhism is theistic.

Life for a Buddhist is that of complete serenity.

Enlightenment is real. *grin*

Reincarnation as a belief.

The misconceptions are an aspect of dharma so there's really nothing that needs addressing short of guidence.

Quintessence

Consults with Trees
Staff member
Premium Member

Calling Paganisms "faith traditions," for one, when they are not faith-based. Plus all other assorted assumptions that people make about religions when they think all religions look like Christianity or other monotheist paths, of which there are far too many to list. Most people honestly don't know the first thing about Paganisms in general, much less Druidry specifically. It's less a matter of working with misconceptions as it is overgeneralization and complete ignorance. Short of representing religious diversity on a place like RF, I don't really go out of my way to serve as an educator.

I usually aim to not speak upon that which I know nothing or little about, or when doing so, with strong caveats. That aside, the thing about misconceptions is that one we don't know we have them. The other thing about misconceptions is that truth is complicated; misconceptions are often true, in some sense, but not quite accurate or the whole picture. Misconceptions are points of view, usually projections from a cultural outsider onto a cultural insider, that mismatch with how the cultural insider understands their own culture. There is truth and lie in them - truth in that the "misconception" is how that culture reads to an outsider, and lie in that this reading is not a good representation of the culture to the insider. It's complicated.

Sundance

Premium Member
Calling Paganisms "faith traditions," for one, when they are not faith-based. Plus all other assorted assumptions that people make about religions when they think all religions look like Christianity or other monotheist paths, of which there are far too many to list. Most people honestly don't know the first thing about Paganisms in general, much less Druidry specifically. It's less a matter of working with misconceptions as it is overgeneralization and complete ignorance. Short of representing religious diversity on a place like RF, I don't really go out of my way to serve as an educator.

I usually aim to not speak upon that which I know nothing or little about, or when doing so, with strong caveats. That aside, the thing about misconceptions is that one we don't know we have them. The other thing about misconceptions is that truth is complicated; misconceptions are often true, in some sense, but not quite accurate or the whole picture. Misconceptions are points of view, usually projections from a cultural outsider onto a cultural insider, that mismatch with how the cultural insider understands their own culture. There is truth and lie in them - truth in that the "misconception" is how that culture reads to an outsider, and lie in that this reading is not a good representation of the culture to the insider. It's complicated.

I would like to apologise for calling Paganisms “faith traditions”. I think a more suitable term would be “religious traditions”.

Quintessence

Consults with Trees
Staff member
Premium Member
I would like to apologise for calling Paganisms “faith traditions”. I think a more suitable term would be “religious traditions”.

No apology necessary. Treating "faith" as a synonym for "religion" is common parlance in the United States due to the influence of Protestant Christianity and other religions that consider themselves strongly faith-based. I feel they shouldn't be treated as synonyms because in the broader context of all world religions, they are not, but so it goes being a religious minority in a culture dominated by religions that consider themselves faith-based... :D

Riverwolf

Amateur Rambler / Proud Ergi
Premium Member

Heathenry (Germanic polytheism) is perhaps still too young (barely half a century old) for broad culture to have "misconceptions" about it. There are some local misconceptions I've heard of, which are largely either the same as those felt of other Paganisms or thinking that all Heathens belong to the white supremacist/neo-nazi fringes (because those do exist, and they're as scary for us as for everyone else). But I think Heathenry is a bit unique in that the bulk of misconceptions are actually held by Heathens ourselves, particularly new and young ones. The hosts of the "Heathen Talk" podcast have sometimes remarked that "if you don't look back on the way you practiced Heathenry five years ago with embarrassment, you're doing it wrong."

Though I did just remember a MAJOR misconception that a lot of people have upon hearing that we exist: that we follow these Gods solely because of the Thor movies. No, no we don't. Though other Heathens often get the impression that Lokeans (Heathens who primarily worship Loki) only are so because of Loki in the movies, which is also almost never true, so I guess we're all equally human. :D

That Western Christianity is a dangerous, imperialist plague, the heir to Rome's destructive fire (another misconception), that destroys everything it touches, having proudly erased our sacred cultures in favor of its death-cult that focuses on after life instead of this life.

But this is more of a newer misconception that I'm trying to fight against, since it's a common sentiment in wider Paganism. I try to remember that the narrative I just gave is not any more "true" than other oversimplified narratives about history that people have, and that the majority of Christians in my life, including my best friend, have been nothing but supportive of me and what I choose to follow. I've heard (not confirmed) that there were Christians in history who were supportive of non-Christians during the Christianization of the North. And it was pretty much entirely Christians who wrote down our previously oral traditions, or at least one Tribe's variant of them, thus saving them from the ravages of time.

Tarheeler

Argumentative Curmudgeon
Premium Member
What were some of them?
That we slaughter Christian children and use their blood to make matzah.
That we caused the plague by poisoning wells.
That we've financed every war.
That we control the world.
That we're to blame for all economic woes.

And that's just a couple of the worst.

beenherebeforeagain

Rogue Animist
Premium Member

1) that I worship idols, that I am in league with or worship the devil, that I practice animal sacrifice, that I think little human-like incorporeal "things" inhabit objects...
2) I have lots of misconceptions; I have a lot less since I decided to spend time learning about other religions and traditions--a big part of that has been spending time here on RF reading the various discussions and asking questions...

Sundance

Premium Member
The believers in monotheistic faiths have their own misconceptions.
> They dismiss the religious experiences of Pagans, which merely undermines their own claims.
> They say we can't offer a hope of salvation, forgetting that if you don't believe in a God who goes round damning people to hell, you don't need saving in the first place.
> They claim paganism cannot provide spiritual comfort, which it certainly can.
> They claim that it cannot provide an ethical system. It's true we don't believe that the gods dictate rules of behaviour, but they don't need to: ethics can be established philosophically.
> They call our religion "primitive". Who's the more primitive: a Japanese professor who practices Shinto or a semi-literate member of the First Ranting Baptist Church of Hicksville?

I don't think I have any misconceptions about other religions. I was raised a Christian, which also implies that I know the Jewish scriptures, and I've studied the teachings of the Muslims, Sikhs, Buddhists, and Baha'i.

I wouldn't exactly say that you don't have any misconceptions, David. Rather, your criticisms apply to but some adherents of a particular monotheistic religion. They don't characterise those religions as a whole. Let me explain. You say that you've studied the Bahá'í Faith. Very cool! Then, one thing you may already be aware of is that my religion is unambiguously monotheistic, as an Abrahamic religion. Simultaneously, though, you proceed to make generalisations of the criticisms of your religions by monotheists. This creates misconception. So, with that in mind, allow me to address the criticisms individually, and from my own perspective:

#1) As a Bahá'í, I believe that all the various different religions (including Pagan/indigenous/folk religions) are, in general, Inspired by one and the same God. Specifically, the major religions are believed to be Revelations from God, their Founders/Major Figures are His Messengers, their various Holy Writings, His Word. Bahá'u'lláh puts it thusly, as recorded in His Gleanings:

“There can be no doubt whatever that the peoples of the world, of whatever race or religion, derive their inspiration from one heavenly Source, and are the subjects of one God. The difference between the ordinances under which they abide should be attributed to the varying requirements and exigencies of the age in which they were revealed. All of them, except a few which are the outcome of human perversity, were ordained of God, and are a reflection of His Will and Purpose.”

#2) Jumping off of #1, because the Bahá'í Faith teaches that all Religions — especially the major religions — are Revelations from God, salvation, I believe, is attained through turning to His Manifestations, especially Bahá'u'lláh (who I believe is the current one for our day and age). You see, to believe in Bahá'u'lláh — to be a Bahá'í — is not to renounce one's belief in any of the previous Messengers or Religions. God forbid! Rather, it is to sees them all as being chapters in the never-ending Faith of God. Thusly, all Religions (including Pagan/indigenous/folk religions) provide different paths to salvation! As for hell, I am taught explicitly that Heaven and Hell are metaphors for nearness to God and separation from Him; they are not literal places. Also, they are equally, if not more so achieveable in this life. Through devotion to one's Religion and righteous living.

#'s 3 and 4) To these two, I have the same exact answer:

Yes, of course they can! Once again, they flow from One and the Same Creator. Therefore, they will provide systems of ethics based upon which the adherents practice righteousness. In other words, the different Pagan paths teach people to live righteously. Devotion to your religion, whichever that may be, is extremely wonderful!

#5) The only sense in which I would the word “primitive” is to mean “ancient”, never to invalidate the manifold Pagan/indigenous/folk religions, or actually, any previous Religions or Holy Books. The Revelations of God are eternal, never-ending.

Now, with all of that out the way, let me ask you: who were you talking about when referring to monotheists, again?

Last edited:

Sundance

Premium Member
That we slaughter Christian children and use their blood to make matzah.
That we caused the plague by poisoning wells.
That we've financed every war.
That we control the world.
That we're to blame for all economic woes.

And that's just a couple of the worst.

These are the most despicable, to me.

Smart_Guy

Premium Member
Let's see, these are the misconceptions I can think of:

1- Muslims are not Muslims if they break some expected-to-be rules of Islam.
2- Muslims worship the cube shaped structure called Kaaba (they don't).
3- Muslims = terrorists (not generally true) :expressionless:
5- Islam is homophobic.
6- Islam = Arab and Desi (Desi like Indians and Pakistanis) are the exact same thing.
7- Islam is a race.
8- Muslims hate other religions.
9- Muslims don't believe in Jesus.
10- Islam wants every non Muslim dead.
11- Islam is against being nice to non Muslims.
12- Wives in Islam are like slaves.
13- Alcohol is forbidden in everything not just dietary consumption.
14- Laws in Islam are never be pardoned (need and necessity are subject to give pardons).
15- Muhammad PBUH is a pedophile (he's not).

Last edited:

GoodbyeDave

As a Bahá'í, I believe that all the various different religions ... are, in general, Inspired by one and the same God. Specifically, the major religions are believed to be Revelations from God, their Founders/Major Figures are His Messengers, their various Holy Writings, ... to be a Bahá'í — is not to renounce one's belief in any of the previous Messengers or Religions. Rather, it is to sees them all as being chapters in the never-ending Faith of God.

Now, with all of that out the way, let me ask you: who were you talking about when referring to monotheists, again?

Well, your position is an improvement on that of the Christians and Muslims, as I already knew. But you still have the assumption that there are "major religions" which are "revelations from God". So I have a "minor religion", I presume? The teaching of continuous revelation means that Baha'i replaces Islam which replaces Christianity ... etc. That puts me at the back of the line, a position I'm not disposed to accept!

Sundance

Premium Member
Well, your position is an improvement on that of the Christians and Muslims, as I already knew. But you still have the assumption that there are "major religions" which are "revelations from God". So I have a "minor religion", I presume? The teaching of continuous revelation means that Baha'i replaces Islam which replaces Christianity ... etc. That puts me at the back of the line, a position I'm not disposed to accept!

David, you're kidding me, right? OK, let me explain in three bullets:

· “Major” does NOT refer to worth or value, but rather to number of adherents. The typical list of those religions initially included the ones known about by Bahá'u'lláh and ’Abdu'l-Bahá (i.e. Judaism, Christianity, Islam, Zoroastrianism, Hinduism, Buddhism). Because most of them are, by now, a few of the most followed religions in the world (hence “major” religions), Bahá'ís teach that the major religions, especially, are Revealed from God. This is NOT to say that other religions are wrong or invalid! As I previous stated, ALL RELIGIONS in general are believed by Bahá'ís to be Inspired by God. This includes yours. What differentiates Revelation and Inspiration, I will explain in a subsequent post.

· Going off of the previous bullet, just because the Bahá'í Faith is the most recent of the Revelations doesn't mean that it replaces or invalidates the previous Religions. No, not at all! God forbid! It just means that it's the most recent; the Bahá'í Faith most addresses the needs of our Day and Age. It was not the first of God's Dispensations, and it will, most assuredly, not be the last. There will never be a last Revelation or final Messenger! All of the previous Religions are, most definitely, valid, as God's Revelation and Inspiration are everlasting, they're eternal!

· To connect the bullets once again, if you go back into the religious history of humankind far enough, you will discover that the first Religions were the “so-called” Pagan/indigenous/folk Religions. This would mean, chronologically speaking, that God's Revelation and Inspiration had first shone in this world through those Religions. Knowing this, though, this should be a wonderful feeling! God's Revelation and Inspiration truly encompass the whole entire world, throughout all time and eternity. That's a blessing to know that!