• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Misconceptions/ questions about Paganism

Fluffy

A fool
I tend to find that people who are influenced by Harry Potter etc to get into magick have little or not religious leanings in mind when they first do it. They want to do some spells. Therefore, they might read some Wiccan books and so forth but only really concentrate on the witchcraft stuffy and ignore the religious side. Witchcraft and Wicca are clearly seperate entities so I don't think that HP has damaged Wicca in any way except to those people who fail to make the distinction.

Also it might have helped it a bit since if people start reading Wiccan books, originally looking for spells but then become interested in the religious side of it, then it could cause quite a boom in conversions.

Dark_Waltz

A common misconception is that if you call yourself a witch you cast spells all the time and have little or no spiritual connection (<_<)<---This is my sulk face :D
And that they all do things in exactly the same way, some people think I am really strange when I say I follow my own path but it is the most natural!

michel

Administrator Emeritus
Staff member
Dark_Waltz said:
A common misconception is that if you call yourself a witch you cast spells all the time and have little or no spiritual connection (<_<)<---This is my sulk face :D
And that they all do things in exactly the same way, some people think I am really strange when I say I follow my own path but it is the most natural!
I find it hard to believe thatin this enlightened day, people still have misconceptions about witches................

Evenstar

The Wicked Christian
michel said:
I find it hard to believe thatin this enlightened day, people still have misconceptions about witches................
But sadly they do :(
This was very good reading, I have no questions as yet, just learning :)

Dark_Waltz

michel said:
Well it's true, Infact I am suprised you haven't run into it before now.
I call myself a witch but I follow my own path and get knowledge where I can find it
Thats not to say however I don't line up or fall into bits of other traditions here and there .
:)

cfer

Thank you very much, Feathers! That was a very good explanation in a way I could picture and understand it. You always have a way of painting things with words so that others may clearly understand or gain a better understanding of something.

Thank you!

des

First of all, this is a very interesting thread. And I have a few comments. I esp. want to make them on Christmas, being a marginal Christian (or something). Anyway, I hope they aren't too off target.

1. I have heard (someone can correct me if wrong) that there IS such a thing as Satinism. However, it is not a pagan religion. I think (as someone suggested it would be hard worshipping something you don't believe in. Satan is a Abrahamic religion construct, anyway. Anyway what real Satanism is not quite like some Christians imagine and not at all so evil. The thing is that they are basically hedonist-- or pleasure seeking. I think it is called this more out of some kind of response to Christianity, and they do not eat or kill babies, etc. I think they would think of themselves as something as the other side of Christianity, and in that sense you could call it Abrahamic. ( Which might be a stretch.)You can look at wikipedia, but for some reason I am not allowed to put a URL on this as I haven't made enough posts. !

Also I heard somewhere that Satan was almost a necessity in monotheistic
religions, because you have to have some way of explaining how evil is in the world. Of course i have never believed in a literal Satan ever, and know many people that do not. But perhaps it is some sort of evolutionary component in monotheism???

On a whole different track:
2. Someone mentioned Harry Potter. As much as I love HP, actually I am crazy about HP, what he does is entirely fantasy. THe spells are from the fertile imagination of JK Rowling and wouldn't work. They aren't even close
to what a spell is for that matter (I think casting a spell is closer to saying a prayer of a certain type, though I may be wrong.) You could say Wingardia leviosa and nothing would levitate as long as you lived-- as it is pure fantasy. I don't know if any kids are ever drawn to reading about paganism thru HP. First I don't think it would be a bad thing, but thats' my bias. But they would be disappointed if they think they would actually get any effects like HP, as he is fiction.

3. I hate to read about deniers, I didn't know there were witch burning deniers out there. But I guess why not, since there are holocaust deniers.
Deniers looks like it is spelled wrong.

--des

wicca_woman

831...J&J
I AM A HARRY POTTER FAN MYSELF BUT I KNOW THAT THOSE KINDS OF THINGS DO NOT HAPPEN IN THE REAL WORLD . YOU WOULD THINK THAT MUCH WOULD BE OBVIOUS...:confused::confused::confused:

des

Hi,

Well you might think that, but I don't know why-- It is a very common
misconception. However, I think it is propogated by a certain (small,
as I know of several Evangelicals who love the books) group of Evangelical
Christians, perhaps guided on by Dobson. Also there have been quotes
that JKRowling is wiccan. I am pretty sure these come from the Onion,
which is a satire magazine. It was very funny and quite sacreligious and some people misquoted it not knowing it was fiction!!!!

I don't know of anybody, but I am guessing if any teens got into this thinking they could do what Harry did, they would be a little out of touch
with reality to start with. :-}

--des

wicca_woman said:
I AM A HARRY POTTER FAN MYSELF BUT I KNOW THAT THOSE KINDS OF THINGS DO NOT HAPPEN IN THE REAL WORLD . YOU WOULD THINK THAT MUCH WOULD BE OBVIOUS...:confused::confused::confused:

BFD_Zayl

hmmm...they have more than likely been posted before, but what the heck. its for shiss and giggles!

1. we worship the devil
2.we sacrifice humans/animals
3. we eat babies (the other other white meat)
4. we wanna take over the world! (as an aside, woulden't it be a much better place? lol)
5. we are all black robe wearing mysterious blood drinking dagger wielding horrors of the night....take out blood drinking and you describe me...well...im not a horror either,and im naturally mysterious so count that out...ok fine i only wear black robes and have a nice dagger. which stains easily.

Gentoo

The Feisty Penguin
BFD_Zayl said:
3. we eat babies (the other other white meat)

Honestly, I tire of this one... do people not understand that babies are high in cholesteral and I'm trying to watch what I eat?! *sigh ;):D

wicca_woman

831...J&J
Gentoo said:
Honestly, I tire of this one... do people not understand that babies are high in cholesteral and I'm trying to watch what I eat?! *sigh ;):D

ok , the fact that he wrote...we eat babies (and other white meat)
WAS HILARIOUS
BUT then you came back with this !!! between the two of you i just about fell out of my chair .!!!!:p

Guitar's Cry

Disciple of Pan
Gentoo said:

Yeah, and I think they're putting MSG and trans fat in 'em nowadays.

Gentoo

The Feisty Penguin
wicca_woman said:
ok , the fact that he wrote...we eat babies (and other white meat)
WAS HILARIOUS
BUT then you came back with this !!! between the two of you i just about fell out of my chair .!!!!:p

Now make sure to use that line when someone accuses you of doing it. The looks are PRICELESS:D

wicca_woman

831...J&J
only one problem with that...I am not sure I can say it to someone without laughing in their faces !!! If they make me mad before they say it then I could definately say it and make them believe every word I am saying . That would be priceless !
Wait til the witnesses come around next year !I told them one year when they came around I couldn't saty and talk because I was in the middle of a seance...never seen one leave so fast.

not trying to offend anyone here , sorry if I have...