• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Misconceptions/ questions about Paganism

Feathers in Hair

World's Tallest Hobbit
Welcome, Truth! Glad to have you here!

Thank you for your kind words. :eek: I'll do my best to live up to them, hehee!

I was attracted to paganism (Sorry, Fluffy! I do tend to capitalize it, I fear) when I realized that my personal beliefs were not supported (and were, in some cases, condemned) by the religion I'd been a member of.

For me, intent is the primary factor when doing spells. If you're able to do them in another language, that sometimes holds more meaning for the person doing them, but it's not necessary. (At least, not in my opinon.)

TashaN

Veteran Member
Premium Member
As far as i know, many people who do magic use spirits to help them in doing it that's why some people think that being a pagan means to worship the devil indirectly for some people and directly for the others (no offence) but i just heard and i want to make things clear for me.

What do you think? can you please explain in details the magic thing because i know many people who used to do it but ONLY through using the spirits in order to do these tasks.

Feathers in Hair

World's Tallest Hobbit
I may ask the spirits of my ancestors, or others, to look out for me, or to guide me with something, but I don't 'use' them. It's kind of like the difference between a hammer and a friend that's helping you hammer. You 'use' the tool, your friend is simply assisting you.

I haven't yet met a pagan who worhips the devil, either directly or indirectly. (That doesn't mean there aren't any. Just that I don't know any, personally.) Satanism is usually a different spirituality entirely, one that can be in extreme conflict with Paganism (or at least theistic Satanism is).

ChrisP

Veteran Member
Hi Pagans!!!

My Question is (drumroll Pleeeeease):

How do you define PAGAN itself? is it the worship of the physical? the earth bound? Manifestations of x or y?

TashaN

Veteran Member
Premium Member
FeathersinHair said:
I may ask the spirits of my ancestors, or others, to look out for me, or to guide me with something, but I don't 'use' them. It's kind of like the difference between a hammer and a friend that's helping you hammer. You 'use' the tool, your friend is simply assisting you.

I haven't yet met a pagan who worhips the devil, either directly or indirectly. (That doesn't mean there aren't any. Just that I don't know any, personally.) Satanism is usually a different spirituality entirely, one that can be in extreme conflict with Paganism (or at least theistic Satanism is).
I know excatly what is Satanism but SOME people may think that pagans worship Satan because they used to use spirits in thier magic but for me personally i know that they don't worship Satan. I know also that you USE them only and they help you but actaully those spirits are the helpers of Satan because he is like the boss for them.:D

That's why i'm wondering whether that didn't concider that pagans may cooperate with Satan indirectly (without thier knowing) through those spirits to do specific tasks whether to do good things or bad things.

I'm just asking to know more that's all. I know that some of what i said may be wrong but i'm saying frankly what i think of so you may help me to understand and make it clear for me instead of staying with some information in my mind that may be wrong about pagans.:eek:

Feathers in Hair

World's Tallest Hobbit
SnaleSpace said:
Hi Pagans!!!

My Question is (drumroll Pleeeeease):

How do you define PAGAN itself? is it the worship of the physical? the earth bound? Manifestations of x or y?
*provides a drumroll*

I'm not sure if it's possible to define the term 'pagan.' We don't have any holy text, and the only common thread through many of the 'denominations' seems to be a reverance for nature. I'm sure that others will have some good suggestions!

That's why i'm wondering whether that didn't concider that pagans may cooperate with Satan indirectly (without thier knowing) through those spirits to do specific tasks whether to do good things or bad things.
I understand that you're simply asking, Truth. Hopefully, you'll forgive us if we're a bit touchy on this subject. This is one of the misconceptions that has plauged many of us.

If you believe in Satan, it is possible to believe that pagans are cooperating with Satan. However, it is just as possible to believe that all other religions are cooperating with Satan. It's hard to explain why we don't worship Satan when a good many of us don't believe in Satan.

turk179

I smell something....
FeathersinHair said:
If you believe in Satan, it is possible to believe that pagans are cooperating with Satan. However, it is just as possible to believe that all other religions are cooperating with Satan. It's hard to explain why we don't worship Satan when a good many of us don't believe in Satan.
I can only speak for myself here and not for other nature worshipers because my beliefs are not quite the same as others but even if a pagan believes in satan they are not being aided by him unless they call on him for support(although I can't imagine why a pagan would.) I call on all sorts of different gods for different reasons. Not spirits that would be ruled by satan but gods that are independent of one another. I am sceptical of the existence of Christian and Muslim deities but by no means am I saying that it is impossible for them not to exist. They would just be an extension of the All. Confusing, I know.

blb01

This misconception isn't common, but I've still heard of it. Some people are saying that pagans have sex with goats. What the heck? There could be a pagan who has sex with goats, but I have not even heard of a person who does such crazy things like that.

Another misconception is that all of us are witches and the evil kind of witches who cast curses and summon evil spirits. I understand that the Christian bible says that there is no such thing as a good witch, and I don't mean to bash anyones beliefs, but the bible can't prove everything in life. It could simply say that all pagans have pink hair. Take a look at a pagan friend. Do we look like we have pink hair?

Unedited

I happened upon a list I used to keep when I first came out about being a Wiccan. Here are some more misconceptions:

~Witches can change hair and eye colour at will (well at least I can't).

~Pagans participate in huge sex orgies. I've heard that some indeed do, but I've never met them.

~Pagans are all ugly and fat. :areyoucra

~Pagan women never shave their legs.

~The burning times are a lie made up by the Wiccans to aquire sympathy (one guy even went to so far as to say that Wiccas use the tie sympathy creates between two people to suck the life force out of them.)

~If you become a witch, you can make someone fall in love with you with a simple spell.

~Wicca is a major cause of depression.

~Pagans aren't real people, but hallucinations created by liberals to sway the vote.

~Male witches are call warlocks.

~If you see a witch's Book of Shadows, you will be forced to either become a witch yourself, or die a horrible death and be sent to h***.

As you can see, I've come across some very...imaginative people.

Darkdale

World Leader Pretend
Being that I choose to acknowledge all the gods, I also will acknolwedge the existence of a Satan; but he is supposed to be the force which works against the Christian God. Now, being that I don't care about the Christian God, I have no opinion whatsoever on Satan. If both the Christian God and Satan exist, then it seems right that they should both exist. If they are in opposition to each other, representing differeing wills, then I believe it is right that the two wills exist. However, Good vs. Evil doesn't exist in the Heathen worldview, so I have no opinion on the subject of Satan; only that if he exists, it's fine by me, as it has no effect on me whatsoever.

Fluffy

A fool
~Pagans participate in huge sex orgies. I've heard that some indeed do, but I've never met them.
Yes this does indeed happen and by "huge sex orgies" people are normally referring to the Great Rite which was practiced on large scale activity in the past, and hopefully will be again once we have gotten past these ridculous taboos as a society, but today is usually practiced within a loving relationship of 2 people.

~Wicca is a major cause of depression.
Hmmm definitely not major and its shaky to call it a "cause" but I guess the amount of discrimination that Wiccans endure would contribute to depression making this one kinda true.

The thing with that is that language, is a living, breathing entinty. Language is always and forever changing. New words form, old ones fall out of use, and many more change in meaning. I believe there is a book called Frindle which illustrates that people, not the dictionary, decide what words mean.
I agree with this but the definition of pagan as in a non-Christian, Jew or Muslim is still in common usage today. Usually I am all for change but I like my words to have meaning and this definition is one that is at least accepted by the vast majority of theologians and historians. The new usage of paganism appears to be "woolly" in that it has no real boundaries and few have a good idea of what it entails.

I think the problem lies in the fact that Pagan as it is used most commonly now, is rather a shorter version of Neo-Pagan. And saying Neo-Paganism is a religion, is just as correct as saying that appliance you use to make popcorn or heat-up leftovers is a microwave.
Perhaps you are right. However, in order to misunderstand the term "microwave" one would have to have a poor knowledge of waves in general ie it is obvious that this is a second usage of another word. With pagan and neo-pagan it is far less obvious and so, with half of pagan referring to the Neo-Pagan religion and the other half referring to neo-pagan religions, the situation is just ripe for confusion, misunderstanding and then, usually, intolerance.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
When you do magic, do you use foriegn language like latin to do the magic you want?
Usually, I don't speak. I feel having to speak breaks your focus. Of course thats just my opinion. I draw the appropriate element energies, focus on my intent, and that is basically it. I might draw some runes, or call upon aid. It mainly depends on what I'm doing.

ChrisP

Veteran Member
Luke Wolf said:
Usually, I don't speak. I feel having to speak breaks your focus. Of course thats just my opinion. I draw the appropriate element energies, focus on my intent, and that is basically it. I might draw some runes, or call upon aid. It mainly depends on what I'm doing.
Hi Luke Wolf, what type of Runes do N. Pagans use and how is this different from other pagans?

TashaN

Veteran Member
Premium Member
FeathersinHair said:
I understand that you're simply asking, Truth. Hopefully, you'll forgive us if we're a bit touchy on this subject. This is one of the misconceptions that has plauged many of us.

I understand what you are trying to say and i know that many pagan don't believe in Satan. Also, i want to apologize again if my words seems to be offending anyone regarding to things i saw or heard about pagans which i concidered it essential for me to clearify it by you and the other lovely members in here.:)

TashaN

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Luke Wolf said:
Thanks for the information. :)

BTW, i know what does a pagan mean but what about N. pagan?

cfer

This is probably in some other threads as well, but to what extent has the Harry Potter series affected Wicca and/or Paganism? Has it helped or hindered?

I guess, my impression is that it would have hindered it, because my perception of spells is nothing like that which is seen in the movies. Yet I can see some people getting into Wicca because they think they'll be able to conjure spells like that.

Which leads me to my other question. Do your spells actually work? Or do you think that, since you want something to happen when you cast a spell, you perceive that it actually works? Like Christians finding the meaning in the Bible that they're looking for, if you're looking for a spell to work a certain way, is it possible to interpret the things that take place after you've cast a spell as a way of self-fulfilling that the spell actually worked?

Please forgive me if this seems a little put-downish. It was not my intention. I am just trying to learn more about the casting of spells and magic. It's an enthralling subject and one I've not been exposed to except in the movies.

Thanks!

Pardus

Proud to be a Sinner.
Ok i'll throw my views into the mix.

"spell-casting" generally seems to hog the stage here (with satan and his big shiny red arse). well the best way to explain it is to refer to it how i see it, a ritual for requesting something, like a christian praying for something.

Now onto satan/satanism, i will completely disagree with anyone who says satan has anything to do with paganism, in my opinion satanism is a christian denomination and those who would use the pentagram as a link should be informed that christians used the pentagram at one point in time.

Feathers in Hair

World's Tallest Hobbit
cfer said:
This is probably in some other threads as well, but to what extent has the Harry Potter series affected Wicca and/or Paganism? Has it helped or hindered?
Gives us something to read, if nothing else, so I'd say helped. ;)

cfer said:
I guess, my impression is that it would have hindered it, because my perception of spells is nothing like that which is seen in the movies. Yet I can see some people getting into Wicca because they think they'll be able to conjure spells like that.
Unfortunately, if people are able to be convinced that 'instant' spells like that are readily usable and are do not take more than they give, they'll probably be influenced by anything. ("Charmed", "Buffy", "Lord of the Rings", etc.) I bear these people no ill will. The learning curve is steep enough that they'll either fall off or learn to adjust.

cfer said:
Which leads me to my other question. Do your spells actually work? Or do you think that, since you want something to happen when you cast a spell, you perceive that it actually works? Like Christians finding the meaning in the Bible that they're looking for, if you're looking for a spell to work a certain way, is it possible to interpret the things that take place after you've cast a spell as a way of self-fulfilling that the spell actually worked?
One of the simplest ways I've heard of explaining spells and magic is that it is a way of turning intent into a result. For example, if I'm wanting to feel beautiful, I could create a small ritual to focus my energy on this. In doing so, much like writing daily 'affirmations', my mind is then centered on that particular goal. It might be that, because I've cemented that goal as something I want to concentrate on, I force myself to actually achieve that goal. It might be that the magic simply works, and I feel more beautiful. It might be both.

So, yes, my spells and magic do work. Some are more immediate than others, and those are almost impossible to explain online, and some don't work the way one wants them to, but the way they should, but they do work. :)