• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Misconceptions about Islam

Samurai

There is no doubt that the majority of Muslims in the Arab countries and countries in the Middle East want to live in peace, have democracy, have freedom of expression, and want human rights to be followed. We have seen huge demonstrations in several countries of Arabia and the Middle East, in recent months. Some examples are Libya, Bahrain, Yemen, Syria, Iran and Tunisa and Egypt (which led to revolution). Muslims in Africa and the Middle East are tired of dictatorial regimes. They want freedom and justice. When it comes to freedom and human rights, the Arab countries are some of the most "Backwards" and primitive countries in the world in our time and age. But this is going to change over the next few years.

Did you know that stoning (as a punishment) does not exist in the Koran?

Did you know that suicide is not compatible with Islam?

Did you know that the punishment for theft is completely different than what we have been told in the media?

Did you know that Jihad does not mean holy war?

Did you know that the killing of aspotates is not allowed in Islam?

Almost everything people know about Islam is from the media. Media is far from the best source when it comes to learning about Islam. There are many misconceptions and myths about Islam. And both Muslims and non-Muslims around the world have began to understand this. And they are searching for the Truth. Read about "misconceptions about Islam" in this website:

http://www.misconceptions-about-islam.com/

In the next few years we will be witness to great political and religious changes in the Islamic world. And then the Muslims around the world will wake up and see Islam from a new perspective. And then, democracy, human rights, freedom of speech, and freedom of religion will be supported and promoted by Muslims around the world. We live in exciting times. Change is coming.

Last edited:
I know. :)

And I'm glad that you know, because the perpetuation of misinformation about Islam (which is a religion that has a very special place in my heart) is something that bothers me greatly. Beautifully said, btw.

There are plenty of valuable sources out there from which someone could educate themselves on Islam, sources infinitely better than the media. I just wish more people would take the time to use them....

Marble

Rolling Marble
Did you know that the punishment for theft is completely different than what we have been told in the media?
And which would be the correct punishment?

I wonder why a religious text prescribes punishments at all, this is a worldy matter.
But then I heard that the Old Testament has laws that command to stone a woman when she has sex with another man than her husband - so this "law making" seems a general sickness of Abrahamitic religions.
Did you know that Jihad does not mean holy war?
I have heard that Islam knows 2 kinds of Jihad:
The Little Jihad, which means war, and the Great Jihad which means effort to improve onself and one's community.
Did you know that the killing of aspotates is not allowed in Islam?
No. What (if any) consequences are prescribed for leaving Islam?
Are there differences for man and woman, for instance when a Muslim woman wants to marry a man of other religion?
What would be the religion of the children of an ex-Muslima with, lets say, a Buddhist?
In the next year we will be witness to great political and religious changes in the Islamic world. And then the Muslims around the world will wake up and see Islam from a new perspective. And then, democracy, human rights, freedom of speech, and freedom of religion will be supported and promoted by Muslims around the world. We live in exciting times. Change is coming.
I very much hope. :yes: :)

Samurai

I know. :)

And I'm glad that you know, because the perpetuation of misinformation about Islam (which is a religion that has a very special place in my heart) is something that bothers me greatly. Beautifully said, btw.

There are plenty of valuable sources out there from which someone could educate themselves on Islam, sources infinitely better than the media. I just wish more people would take the time to use them....

Hi rockstarwife :)

I'm glad you liked my post. If you want to learn about misconceptions about islam, visit this interesting website:

Common Misconceptions About Islam, Muslims and The Quran

I want to recommend a great book about Islam. It is an easy read. It is a short book. And it contains lots of interesting information about Islam. I higly recommend it.

Introducing islam: A graphic guide by Ziauddin Sardar.

Amazon.com: Introducing Islam: A Graphic Guide (9781848310841): Ziauddin Sardar, Zafar Abbas Malik: Books

I also want to recommend two other books about islam. You can read reviews of these books on amazon.

Quran and women by Amina Wadud.
Amazon.com: Qur'an and Woman: Rereading the Sacred Text from a Woman's Perspective (9780195128369): Amina Wadud: Books

Islam: Past, Present and Future, by Hans Kung.
Amazon.com: Islam: Past, Present and Future (9781851686124): Hans Kung: Books

Samurai

I also want to share a website with you. In this website, you can download translations of the Quran, for free. According to many people, the the newest translations of Quran, are the best translations of the Quran. Because they are based on classical arabic, and the latest research on linguistics

If you want to read one of the newest and most accurate translations of the Quran. So you can cone of these 3 translations:

1) Quran - reformist translation.

2) Abdel Haleem

3) Muhammed Asad

Quran - A reformist translation is on the pdf on the website. This translation is one of the newest translations. Many people claim that this translation is great. It can be downloaded for free, on the website. You can also read reviews of the translation on amazon.com.

Amazon.com: Quran: A Reformist Translation (Koran, Kuran in Modern English) (9780979671500): Edip Yuksel, Layth Saleh al-Shaiban, Martha Schulte-Nafeh: Books

Abdel Haleem's translation is great. But it's not on pdf file on the website. So this translation must be purchased on amazon. You can read the first pages of this translation on amazon. And also read reviews of the translation.

Amazon.com: The Qur'an (Oxford World's Classics) (9780199535958): M. A. S. Abdel Haleem: Books

Muhammad Asad is a very good translation of the Quran, but it's not the pdf file on your website. So it must be purchased at a bookstore or on amazon. You can read reviews of the book on amazon. Visit this link below:

Amazon.com: The Message of the Qur'an (9781904510352): Muhammad Asad: Books

If you want to download a translation of the Quran, for freee, visit the website in the link below, and click on "english translation" and download a translation of the Koran on pdf.

| Welcome to StudyQuran |

kai

ragamuffin
MOD POST

Just a reminder folks

10. Discuss Individual Religions Forums
The DIR forums are for the express use for discussion by that specific group. They are not to be used for debate by anyone. People of other groups or faiths may post respectful questions to increase their understanding. Questions of a rhetorical or argumentative nature or that counter the beliefs of that DIR are not permitted. Only posts that comply with the tenets or spirit of that DIR are permitted. DIR areas are not to be used as cover to bash others outside the faith. The DIR forums are strictly moderated and posts are subject to editing or removal.

Samurai

Hi Everyone :)

I have a question. Have you read any books or watched any videoes by jeffrey lang? He is an american who converted to Islam.

He is the authour of two good books about Islam.

1) Even Angels Ask
2) Struggling to Surrender: Some Impressions of an American Convert to Islam.

I found two lectures where he teaches people about Islam. I want to share them with you.

[youtube]EmqN75NI0xg[/youtube]
YouTube - ‪Muslims Wake Up! Stop This Obsession With Rules!‬‏

[youtube]XT1KGyxBXC0[/youtube]
YouTube - ‪Muslim Scholars Wake Up! Is Your Message Relevant Today?‬‏

In these website there are lectures by Jeffrey Lang, and other Sunni muslim, Islamic scholars.

MeccaCentric - High Quality Lectures About Islam on DVD and CD by Hamza Yusuf, Siraj Wahhaj and others!

What are your thoughts and opinions about the ideas of Jeffrey Lang?

It would be interesting to hear your thoughts and opinions.

Samurai

Are there differences for man and woman, for instance when a Muslim woman wants to marry a man of other religion?

There are different schools of thought in Islam. Some believe that muslim women are not allowed to marry men from other religions. And others believe that it is allowed.

beenie

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
What do you want us to say?
Most of what you posted is accepted and agreed upon by me, at least. :p

Samurai

What do you want us to say?
Most of what you posted is accepted and agreed upon by me, at least. :p

Salamaleykum brother :)

I'm glad you liked my posts and recommendations. I highy recommend the quran translations. Especially the translations by Muhammed Asad and Abdel Haleem. You may wish to download them.

Peace be upon you.

beenie

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
Salamaleykum brother :)

I'm glad you liked my posts and recommendations. I highy recommend the quran translations. Especially the translations by Muhammed Asad and Abdel Haleem. You may wish to download them.

Peace be upon you.

Teehee, I'm a sister. ;)

Wa-alaikumassalam. :)

earlwooters

Are you a Quranist? Most of your positions seem to indicate that. I think Quranist represent the purest form of Islam.

earlwooters

I am not a Muslim. But, I have read parts of the Quran, mostly because of learning about a part of Islam that calls itself Quranist. I understand that they are a very minority among Muslims. What are mainstream Islam's views on the Quranist?

beenie

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
**Mod Post**

This is the Islam DIR Forum, which means that only Muslims may participate in this section UNLESS you are asking respectful questions to learn about Islam. Please refer to Rule 10:

10. Discuss Individual Religions Forums
The DIR forums are for the express use for discussion by that specific group. They are not to be used for debate by anyone. People of other groups or faiths may post respectful questions to increase their understanding. Questions of a rhetorical or argumentative nature or that counter the beliefs of that DIR are not permitted. Only posts that comply with the tenets or spirit of that DIR are permitted. DIR areas are not to be used as cover to bash others outside the faith. The DIR forums are strictly moderated and posts are subject to editing or removal.