• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Mirza Masroor Ahmad

Marco19

Researcher
Salam Aleykum,

glad that Ahmadiyya included in this dir.

I would like to know how do you define the following titles
Khalifa
Amir al-Mumnin

Do you consider Mirza masroor as the only authentic spiritual commander of Islam?

Do you consider him as infallible?

Is it correct that Mirza Ghulam Ahmad mentioned his name (prophesying about the future khalifa), if yes then what would be his task or uniqueness?

Thank you :)

Rational_Mind

Ahmadi Muslim
Salam Aleykum,

glad that Ahmadiyya included in this dir.

I would like to know how do you define the following titles
Khalifa
Amir al-Mumnin

Do you consider Mirza masroor as the only authentic spiritual commander of Islam?

Do you consider him as infallible?

Is it correct that Mirza Ghulam Ahmad mentioned his name (prophesying about the future khalifa), if yes then what would be his task or uniqueness?

Thank you :)

Walaikum Asalam.

This will require a very long answer. One that I may not be able to do on my own.

Amir al-Mumnin
This title was first given to Hazrat Umar (ra) because they realized that it would get really long to say the Successor of the Successor of the Holy Prophet (saw) with every succeeding Khalifa. It is under this parallel we call him "Leader of the Faithful".

Khalifa
It is meaning is purely the spiritual Imam chosen by God to lead the righteous. It's meaning is conveyed in the sense of the verse:

Allah had promised to those among you who believe and do good works that He will surely make them Successors in the earth, as He made Successors from among those who were before them; and that He will surely establish for them their religion which He has chosen for them; and that He will surely give them in exchange security and peace after their fear: They will worship Me, and they will not associate anything with Me. Then who so is ungrateful after that, they will be the rebellious.
(Surah Al-Nur, Verse 56)
Explanation: A Passage from the Quran on Khilafat

After having established a community of the righteous under Hazrat Mirza Ghulam Ahmad (as) Khilafat was established. We believe that this is a sign of the truth of the Promised Messiah (as). As the Quran puts a promise for a Khalifat for only those who believe and do good works. It known in many well narrated Hadith that in the latter days Khilafat would be established upon the precepts of Prophethood. So such the Khalifa is the spiritual successor of the Promised Messiah (as). It means that no blood relation is necessary to be a successor such as the first Khalifatul Masih.

Also we do not hold him to be infallible. Here is an excellent explanation.

The Second Aspect
The second aspect of the topic is related to what kind of mistakes a Khalifa is susceptible to make. Mistakes can be divided into three categories: Mistakes related to worldly affairs; mistakes related to management of the community affairs; and mistakes related to the Shariat's (the divine law) affairs.

Mistakes Related To Worldly Affairs
Since a Prophet and a Khalifa are both appointed by God, then both are susceptible to make the same kinds of mistakes. Let us see what kind of mistakes the Holy Prophet (S.A.W.) was susceptible to make. We all know how one the Holy Prophet (S.A.W.) was walking and saw some people crossing their date trees. He asked them why they did it this way and not that way. When he left them, they thought that he was directing them to do the crossing the other way so they did it as he suggested. Next year he crop was not so good. They went and complained to the Holy Prophet (S.A.W.) that the other way he suggested was not good. He told them that they should have known better their own worldly affairs.

In other words, a Prophet is not supposed to be am expert in each and every worldly affair. This is not his mission. A Khalifa also cannot be a scientist, an engineer, an architect or a computer expert. It is not his responsibility. So as a Prophet can make a mistake related to worldly affairs, a Khalifa can also make such a mistake. There is no difference between a Khalifa and a Prophet in this type of mistakes.

Mistakes Related To Community Affairs
Let us now consider the second type of mistakes; i.e., mistakes related to the welfare of the community. Once, the Holy Prophet (S.A.W.) was preparing for the first battle, the Battle of Badr. He, being the Commander-In-Chief, led the army and chose an area for the army to camp in preparation for the confrontation with the army of the enemy. His choice was wrong. It was not in the interest of his army to camp in that particular area. One of his followers suggested to camp near the water and the Holy Prophet (S.A.W.) agreed. The army moved to the other place and camped near the water.

Bear in mind that this was the Holy Prophet (S.A.W.), he was appointed directly by God, he was the military leader, but he made a mistake which is considered to be a tactical mistake. One of his followers suggested the correct action and the correct action was adopted at once. Thus a Prophet can make such a mistake and a Khalifa can also make such a mistake. But, in both cases, the mistake will be corrected immediately. If, theoretically speaking, no one detected a mistake committed by a Prophet or a Khalifa related to the welfare and progress of the community, then Allah, Who appointed that Prophet and that Khalifa, will take it upon Himself to correct the consequences of such a mistake, and the ultimate outcome will be the enhancement and the betterment of the affairs of the community.

Mistakes Related To Shariat Affairs
Let us now consider the third type of mistakes, i.e., mistakes committed against the Shariat or the divine Law. We all know that according to the Shariat, the obligatory five daily prayers are: the Morning Prayer consisting of two Raka'at, the Zuhr Prayer consisting of four Raka'at, the Asr prayer consisting of four Raka'at, the Maghrib Prayer consisting of three Raka'at and the Isha Prayer consisting of four Raka'at.

This is how the Holy Prophet (S.A.W.), the person appointed by God for the purpose of establishing the Shariat has taught the people to offer prayers. They learned the Shariat from him. Yet, once he was leading Zuhr Prayer and instead of offering four Raka'at he offered only two. Then the Muslims asked him whether the prayers have been shortened. Realizing that he had made a mistake, he completed the other two Raka'at.

Such a mistake related to Shariat matters can be committed by a Prophet or a Khalifa alike but such a mistake is based only upon forgetfulness. A human being can forget. A Prophet and a Khalifa are human beings and both can forget. But such a mistake is rectified immediately. Any mistake related to the Shariat affairs can never be made by intention, whether by a Prophet or by a Khalifa.

We frequently hear the expression that a Prophet is Ma'soom (protected by God against sin). This protection is not something conferred on the Prophet beyond his will. It emanates from him as a natural consequence of his obedience to God. He is aware all the time of the presence of Allah and of his obligations towards Him. This state of continuous awareness of God's presence makes him Ma'soom or divinely protected. How can he intentionally make mistake by disobeying God's commandments? It is impossible!

Similarly, the Khalifa is the person appointed by God. He is the man who is supposed to be the leader of the righteous. He is the most righteous man on earth, and on his shoulders lies the burden of leading the community towards higher and higher level of righteousness. how can it be possible that such a man will intentionally make a mistake by disobeying God? It is impossible! When Allah appoints a person for the purpose of safeguarding the spiritual welfare of a community, then how can anyone expect that person to go against the Shariat and disobey God intentionally? Never! It is absolutely impossible.

There is no difference, in this regard, between a Prophet and a Khalifa. No difference whatsoever. All the mistakes which a Prophet is susceptible to make, also a Khalifa is susceptible to make. There is NO difference whatsoever.

When we realize this concept, then we will be bale to realize the importance, the magnificence and the greatness of the institution of Khilafat. It is nothing less than a continuation of the blessings of prophethood. How fortunate Ahmadis are to be blessed with this institution of Khilafat. The joy they feel and the happiness they experience is unparalleled as this institution was re-established once again for them and will continue to be established, Insha' Allah, till the day of Judgment.

Another Important Aspect to Understand these is to understand how a Khalifa is picked, as in how do you truly know it is a choice of God? It is explained here: The Khalifa Is Appointed by God Which is also a reference for above quote.

I really should take time to summarize this. I just didn't want the question hanging so long. It will take a lot of polishing and more posts to make this clear. Inshallah I have an intent of summarizing articles for RF format that are more concise.

Marco19

Researcher
al-Salam aleykum,
Thank you Rational Mind, it is a good post covering different aspects with example from the prophet.

i still have one more question related to the concept of intercession, whether you believe in (in general), if yes then who is included? can you pray to Amir mumnin as intercession?

Marco19

Researcher
One more question remained from my previous post, can you please shed a light?

Thanks in advance :)

Rational_Mind

Ahmadi Muslim
al-Salam aleykum,
Thank you Rational Mind, it is a good post covering different aspects with example from the prophet.

i still have one more question related to the concept of intercession, whether you believe in (in general), if yes then who is included? can you pray to Amir mumnin as intercession?

‘Allah — there is no God but He, the Living, the Self-Subsisting and All-Sustaining. Slumber seizes Him not, nor sleep. To Him belongs whatsoever is in the heavens and whatsoever is in the earth. Who is he that will intercede with Him except by His permission? He knows what is before them and what is behind them; and they encompass nothing of His knowledge except what He pleases. His knowledge extends over the heavens and the earth; and the care of them burdens Him not; and He is the High, the Great.’ (2:256).

A short answer in regards to intercession is given by Khalifatul Masih V himself as to the requests from prayers he gets.

Huzur aba said some people do not pay attention to dua and perhaps give alms nonchalantly, however, in times of trouble they write to those who are holy and indeed the Khalifa of the day almost demanding that their prayers are fulfilled to the point of holding the person they are requesting for prayers, to accountability. Reading an excerpt of the Khalifatul Masih I (may Allah be pleased with him) Huzur aba responded to such oddballs. He said some people ask for prayers to be made for them as if I am an agent of God, whereas I am a mere humble servant of God, indeed to show humility is my task. I do not know the unknown and I no angels speaks from within me. Only God’s knowledge is perfect and His influence is perfect, therefore turn to Him alone. Huzur aba said some women show weakness in the belief of asking certain holy people for prayers, Huzur aba said if anyone’s intercession is valid it is of the Holy Prophet (peace and blessings be on him) therefore one must invoke blessings on him through salat-un-nabi. (Durood Sharif)

Intercession Vs Atonement
As regards the difference between intercession and atonement, the Promised Messiah (on whom be peace) wrote: ‘Atonement frees one from good works and intercession inspires one towards good works’. He also said: ‘How does intercession stimulate good works? The answer to this question is also found in the Holy Qur’an and it is proven that it does not have the connotation of atonement as the Christians believe, because that which produces indolence and idleness has not been relied on. Rather, it is stated: ‘…I am near. I answer the prayer of the supplicant when he prays to Me…’ (2:187)…this verse also tells of a secret of acceptance of prayer, and that is to inculcate perfect belief in the Power of Allah the Exalted and to always believe Him to be near’.

I would recommend reading through the summary or watching the english translation of the Friday Sermon delievered by Khalifatul Masih V. It speaks about how Prophet's of God interceded and the correct Islamic concept of intercession. It was a topic of interest as many Muslims today pray at graves of Saints and have begun to think that they can grant them a child or success.
The Correct Islamic Viewpoint of Intercession

Rational_Mind

Ahmadi Muslim
One more question remained from my previous post, can you please shed a light?

Thanks in advance :)

Sorry I was hoping to get to this before you ask.

DREAMS FORETELLING THE FIFTH KHILAFAT

I am not aware of a prophecy of the Promised Messiah (as) speaking of the fifth Khalifah specifically. I think you may be thinking of the for-coming of Khilafat that the Promised Messiah (as) spoke of. If this is it I can expand on it. If not then unfortunately I myself am not aware of such a specific prophecy, although it may exist.

Marco19

Researcher
Sorry I was hoping to get to this before you ask.

DREAMS FORETELLING THE FIFTH KHILAFAT

I am not aware of a prophecy of the Promised Messiah (as) speaking of the fifth Khalifah specifically. I think you may be thinking of the for-coming of Khilafat that the Promised Messiah (as) spoke of. If this is it I can expand on it. If not then unfortunately I myself am not aware of such a specific prophecy, although it may exist.

Well, mainly i find this type of claim in anti-Ahmadiyya websites.
but there is a mention of that in both Wikipedia and the arabic version of Ahmadiyya official website.

In Wikipedia it says the following:
we bear witness that once again Your Messiah and Mahdi’s prophecy as stated in the journal Al-Wasiyyathas materialised with full glory and magnificence

but more explicitly you can find here, the very last paragraph:
IslamAhmadiyya.net -
it is mention that Mirza Ghulam Ahmad prophecy Mirza Masroor "i am with you O Masroor" .

my question is: If the above correct, then what would be the uniqueness of Mirza Masroor? it should be a reason why Mirza Ghula Ahmad mentioned him by name, shouldn't it?

Rational_Mind

Ahmadi Muslim
Well, mainly i find this type of claim in anti-Ahmadiyya websites.
but there is a mention of that in both Wikipedia and the arabic version of Ahmadiyya official website.

In Wikipedia it says the following:

but more explicitly you can find here, the very last paragraph:
IslamAhmadiyya.net -
it is mention that Mirza Ghulam Ahmad prophecy Mirza Masroor "i am with you O Masroor" .

my question is: If the above correct, then what would be the uniqueness of Mirza Masroor? it should be a reason why Mirza Ghula Ahmad mentioned him by name, shouldn't it?

Sorry, I didn't realize that is what you were referring to. I am not sure what exactly it could specify. I left the book that it is from at home. I will try to ask around to what it could be indicative of. As it appears to me is that God chooses Khalifas (ra) who are the exact need for that time period. For example after the Death of First Khalifa (ra) there was a dire need for establishment of a community as a portion of Ahmadi's changed their views which they felt would help them spread Ahmadiyyat. At this sensitive time Khalifa Bashiruddin Mahmood Ahmad (ra) was selected. He accomplished with dedication an entire thorough and well thought out system, he especially focused on youth heading towards loss of belief in God and also gave such strong arguments that brought the community back together and many Ahmadi's as a result of his arguments returned to the community.

As for the present Khalifa I can see that he has been giving a lot of warnings about the state of the world today. He has been focusing on establishing justice around the world so that we can have real world peace. As of present I have felt that there is a lot of instability and injustice, to the extent that around the same time of his warnings I had already begun to feel that the World is heading towards another War. In this sense the prophecy may be that God is with the Imam and also with the community in that sense as we may face the worst hardship in such a state. Moreover, recently the attacks against Ahmadi's are taking lives everyday, the worst event that happen in 2011 killed 70+ Ahmadi's in one day in a direct attack from gunmen with rifles and grenades. The fourth Khalifa in a sermon said that as he was told from the prior Khalifa to be confident as God is with you, and that the future will be really hard, he said that I want to convey to the next Khalifa that you will face even more hardship at the hands of the world. That right now the attacks against Ahmadi are only among regions he said entire states will come up against you and that Good will always be opposed. But not to worry as Allah (swt) is with the Righteous.

Marco19

Researcher
Jazak Allah khayran,

Thank you for your patience and clear answers, i'll create new thread(s) for my other questions.

Note: i have seen and even read some parts of Khalifa's letters to various persons world wide, and from the context, i agree with you, his main concern is war/peace issue.